• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

RIP Topozone

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
Looks like one of my favorite sites finally sold out. Topozone.com is now part of Trails.com! Hurray! <insert sarcasm here>. You can now access the Topomap for 14 days via a free trial. After that it is $50 per year. All I want is to look at plain old scanned topomaps. I don't need them in 3D or any other fancy tools. :puke:

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Looks like one of my favorite sites finally sold out. Topozone.com is now part of Trails.com! Hurray! <insert sarcasm here>. You can now access the Topomap for 14 days via a free trial. After that it is $50 per year. All I want is to look at plain old scanned topomaps. I don't need them in 3D or any other fancy tools. :puke:

I really liked the 3D stuff in Topozone. Gave you a lil better perspective when planning a trip.

edit: I had forgotten I have a subsription to trails.com, thanks for the reminder :lol:

Greg

Staff member
BTW, it appears that topozone.com (disclaimer: started by a friend of mine) was sold to the parent company of trails.com a year ago.

Interesting. The guy who started it wanted to buy the AZ domain name many years ago. I want to say his name was Gary....

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
USGS topo maps are nice for a lot of things, but for hiking I find that all too often the trail information is out of date. So while I liked Topozone for some uses, for others it just didn't satisfy in a way that wasn't their fault.

National Geographic Topo! which uses the same data as base maps but adds a digital model of the terrain (for building profiles) and does get some level of updated information automatically over the 'net, has served me decently, but doesn't work that well on the Mac.