• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Searching for and choosing a college

hammer

Just wondering what the current approaches are to picking a college...it's been over 20 years since I graduated so I'm sure a lot has changed.

My son's entering his junior year in HS...he's looking at Biology/Pre-Med programs. Grades are OK (mostly As and Bs) and he's taking higher level courses (2 AP classes this year). While he's not Harvard or MIT material (neither was I), I believe he should be able to get into a decent school.

Any thoughts on state schools (in out case UMass) vs. private? Larger or smaller?

When do people usually start the campus tours? I'm thinking this fall will be the time...

thetrailboss

Staff member
Start ASAP with school tours.

Work on the whole package--grades, extracurriculars, community service, etc.

Begin narrowing down the list--reach schools, etc. Get in touch with alum who are friends.

hammer

Start ASAP with school tours.
Will do...this fall will be busy. Didn't plan on any tours during the summer.

Work on the whole package--grades, extracurriculars, community service, etc.
Aside from scouts, my son's not into activities...not that has parents haven't tried. :roll: I guess I also have a problem with doing additional activities in the name of "college resume padding".

I'd rather see him get real solid grades this year and work to get the best test scores he can. If he can do outside stuff on top of that, great...but realistically I don't see that happening.

Begin narrowing down the list--reach schools, etc. Get in touch with alum who are friends.
Will do in conjunction with tours.

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
First establish what type of school environment he would feel comfortable in. Huge university with 10,000+ kids, huge lecture classes, etc. or a small college? Urban school (with little or no campus at all) vs. a more traditional campus feel.

This is helpful because it can knock off a ton of schools quickly. Personally when I was looking, I knew I wanted a smaller school with a "college town" feel, so I immediately knocked off schools like UNH, UMASS, BU, BC, etc.

Puck it

Just apply to a couple that are a reach, a couple of safe schools that you know you will get in then a majoroity that definite candidates. The going number is about 10-12. My son got into all but two if the schools he applied to. They were BU and Northeastern and since he is a white male from MA, those were low chance looking the demographics of incoming students. He had picked UNH but picked UCONN after getting in there late. Small private colleges are huritng for students. He got a ot of academic aid from those type of school. He got $20K a year from alma mater but said it was too far. Merrimack gave $19K and would increase the amount based on the increase in the overall cost each year. It really is a crap shoot. My son got into UCONN and another student (female) from his school did not and she was a better student. She then got into Providence and he was wait listed and then he got in there also. One school even gave money to him before he even applied. Take all the free apps you get two. I think there was about 4 or 5 schools that had free application or waived the fee for early application(UVM).

The aid that you get if you make over $100K a year is nothing but loans. The amount he qualified for was only $5K out of $36K bill. The rest is expected to come from us. This gets my goat.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Tough to tell...he started scouting a few years late so he'll be real close to the 18th birthday deadline.

He is in the Order of the Arrow, but I don't know if that means anything on a college application...

Eagle is the real deal for admissions. OA is good, but Eagle says something. I'd light a fire under his....

mondeo

I don't think public vs private is that big a deal in itself. There are some public schools that are better in a lot of stuff than most private schools, so it's really just a question of cost vs. quality. Also, don't worry all that much about sticker shock with private schools; my theory is that the very high tuitions are basically there to allow the schools to subsidise somewhat the education of those who can't afford the really high cost through those that can. I don't think I knew anyone when I went to Clarkson that paid full tuition, many were $10K+ a year in scholarships from the school.

Large or small is basically a question of feel. Compare UMich to Clarkson. About 10x the size, suburban vs. middle of nowhere, public vs. private, but quality of education is probably about the same.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Agree with the first place being large or small in narrowing down what you want.

Also need to decide if you want rural or urban. Both have their strengths and weaknesses. The former may be "too boring" for some, but the latter, although more exciting, can have too many distractions and have higher costs of living.

campgottagopee

Sorry no real help here----I went to a small private college only because they needed a tall white kid who couldn't jump on their hoops team. Not the best reason to go to college but it's the truth.

wa-loaf

Post up the list when you have it narrowed down. Some of us might be alumni and could help out at that point.

Dr Skimeister

Get the family and the student's financial situation correctly situated so that what doesn't need to be seen when financial aid is being determined is adequately out of sight. Typically, private colleges have more money and are more liberal in distributing financial aid dollars.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Remember Hammer, of great importance is to make sure your son selects a school in close proximity to where YOU want to ski often. ;)

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
I've always felt that the most important thing you can do for your kids is live vicariously through them. It shows them that you really care about them.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I've always felt that the most important thing you can do for your kids is live vicariously through them. It shows them that you really care about them.

I would say that would be bad for a marriage once kids reach college age :lol:

Just wondering what the current approaches are to picking a college...it's been over 20 years since I graduated so I'm sure a lot has changed.

My son's entering his junior year in HS...he's looking at Biology/Pre-Med programs. Grades are OK (mostly As and Bs) and he's taking higher level courses (2 AP classes this year). While he's not Harvard or MIT material (neither was I), I believe he should be able to get into a decent school.

Any thoughts on state schools (in out case UMass) vs. private? Larger or smaller?

When do people usually start the campus tours? I'm thinking this fall will be the time...

My Mom works in admissions, and most do campus tours and interviews the summer between Junior and Senior years of college. I would buy your son a college guide and let him start to see where he wants to go. I feel that you get out of your college education what you put into it but it's harder to slip through the cracks at smaller colleges because if you skip class, your professors actually notice.

I wanted to go to a college near skiing with a good business program. My parentswanted me to stay on the east coast. I visited Babson, University of New Hanmpshire, University of Vermont and SUNY Albany. I liked Babson alot but the 80-20 Male Female ratio killed it for me. UNH was pretty nice but UVM won as Burlington is a sweet town, the campus is great with its own business school and very close to the best skiing in the east. At the time..1997.it was about $20k+ a year for tuition/room and board..now it's about $35K for out of state. Luckily my grandparents paid for my college..if I had to pay for it myself I would have stayed in state for $10k or less a year..anyway that's my inflation adjusted 2 cents..

Last edited:

legalskier

There are many college guide books on the market, but one in particular stood out for me after our reference librarian pointed it out: "Rugg's Recommendations on the Colleges." He had it in three-ring binder form, but it’s also available in a bound version. Your library might have it or can get it for you. (Here's their website, where you can get the updates as well as the book: http://www.ruggsrecommendations.com) What distinguishes it from the other guides is that it doesn’t just classify schools alphabetically or by state/region as others do, but looks at colleges the way you and I would. For example, some of the school categories are: "Most expensive/least expensive state colleges," "Quiet & safe colleges," "Social butterfly colleges," "Magic (dream) colleges," "Big colleges that care," "Under-rated colleges." It also has advice re: financing/financial aid and the admissions process, as well as a Q & A format of questions submitted by people in our shoes.
Visiting the schools in person is invaluable, as a student can get a definite sense of appeal simply by walking around campus and asking questions, be it large state university or small private college. Also check out the area surrounding the school, as many students eventually will live off campus. But don’t wait, because the time will fly by–start now. Before you go take a few minutes and review the school’s website; most are valuable sources of information. The more schools he can visit, the better. When senior year commences in a few weeks, get to know your child’s guidance counselor and keep in touch through the process with any questions you have. Good luck!