• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Seasonal Allergies

drjeff

Whose got them? Even on my up until now saving grace allergy medication, Claritan, I'm getting hammered by the pollen the last 7 to 10 days :mad: I'm actually hoping for a bit of rainy weather now to get the great yellow/green pollen out of the air that's been causing havoc with my sinuses lately!

Geoff

Around 1995, I went to see a doctor because I had a cold I could never seem to shake. After about 30 seconds of asking me about my symptoms, he informed me that it wasn't a cold... I had adult alergies. I now have some years where I'm OK and others that totally suck. I discovered Claritan-D 12 hour (with pseudophedrine) while skiing in New Zealand back in 1999. It was over the counter there and I bought it over the counter in Canada until it became possible to buy it here without a perscription. Having to sign the "I am not a crystal meth lab" form every time I buy it is a pain but the stuff works well enough.

So far, I've only needed to take the stuff a half-dozen times this year. I have no idea if this is me or the kinds of things I'm being exposed to. Living in Vermont this summer, I was worried that I'd see way more pollen than I usually do living right on the ocean. June may be a totally different thing. I should dig around and see what I have for a Claritan stash since I probably have to reload.

wa-loaf

I need to get back to the docs and get a prescription of Nasonex. It's the only thing that really knocks down the allergies.

Hawkshot99

Thank god I have no allergies like that. The other day when I was out mowing I was watching the clouds of pollen coming out of the trees every time a gust of wind came by. When I parked my trailer for the night, my mower was caked in pollen, and so was I, but no problems.

ComeBackMudPuddles

first 32 years of life: no seasonal allergies.

then, all of a sudden, they started. the last two springs have been rough for about a week or two, then they go away.

i'm convinced this is a product of some grand kleenex/claritin conspiracy. there simply is no other reasonable explanation.

Glenn

I take allegra D daily...along with some nasal spray.

I grew into allgeries, thankfully, after college. I'd drink a beer and get stuffed up. Not cool! I did the shots thing for awhile, then went to see and ENT. Had surgery back in 2005 to correct a deviated septum and remove a load of nasal pollups. It made a huge difference in my life.

Some of the pollups came back early this year, but a heavy dose of anti biotics and steriods took care of that. He said if they come back again, I'll probably have to get them "snipped"; a proceedure that can be done in his office under local.

Again, so glad I had this done. Very worth it. Life changing actually.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Always had awful allergies from puberty on; my allergist initially labeled me as a "highly allergic person" when we met in 2000. Tested highly for mold, pecan trees, cat dander and saliva, timothy grass, dust mites... so year-round allergies here. There was even a point for 5 years when I would develop hives on a daily basis if I did not take at least one dose of Zyrtec daily (sometimes 2! and that was when it was by prescription only and my group had a $500/yr cap on scripts!). Then something weird happened... the symptoms lessened with my first pregnancy. By the time I got pregnant with my son, I was no longer getting hives. I didn't take allergy medicine at all while pregnant with him (did take nettle leaf supplements, which are supposed to help with allergies but also with other nutrients). And now... very rarely do I need allergy medicine and I usually take loratadine when I do need it. The allergy symptoms I'm having only came back in the last few months, so it took almost 2 years after my little guy was born for this to happen. Hope this doesn't mean I need to get pregnant again to keep allergies away entirely. :eek:

In the process, though, I've noticed that I may have an allergy to MSG, so I wonder if that may have been triggering some of my nasal symptoms as well...?

wa-loaf

first 32 years of life: no seasonal allergies.

then, all of a sudden, they started. the last two springs have been rough for about a week or two, then they go away.

i'm convinced this is a product of some grand kleenex/claritin conspiracy. there simply is no other reasonable explanation.

Same for me except I was 24. I was on the cape when the pine pollen hit hard. All that yellow crap floating around really set me off. Never been the same since.

Glenn

In the process, though, I've noticed that I may have an allergy to MSG, so I wonder if that may have been triggering some of my nasal symptoms as well...?

That stuff used to mess with me as well. It's been better after the surgery. It used to give me a nasty migrane the day after I ate it.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
That stuff used to mess with me as well. It's been better after the surgery. It used to give me a nasty migrane the day after I ate it.

No migraines; I get hives from it. Apparently where the hives show up (and when) can indicate an MSG allergy. The problem is the stuff is in just about everything under numerous pseudonyms: autolyzed yeast extract, yeast extract, hydrolyzed soy protein, natural flavors, etc, etc, etc. Some sources are best avoided anyway for other health reasons (like McDonald's).

bigbog

Not the seasonal, big-hit thing...just constant

Just 365 day thing.....the over the counter Claritin-D family works, plus a nice addition of late...the Afrin Severe spray is back on the shelves..:cool:. Thought it was one of those banned cuz of meth-addicts luv for it. Notice though that the more exercise I get...the better I breath, especially if I'm up here(and northward).

Just 365 day thing.....the over the counter Claritin-D family works, plus a nice addition of late...the Afrin Severe spray is back on the shelves..:cool:. Thought it was one of those banned cuz of meth-addicts luv for it. Notice though that the more exercise I get...the better I breath, especially if I'm up here(and northward).

Whenever I have been sick...allergy/cold/possibly the flu???..I have always gone skiing..one day this past ski season I had a sinus headache and skiing didn't cure it but it made me forget about it for a couple hours and I skied at maybe 80%..which is safer..