• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Shawnee Peak 12/17/2013

ceo

Date(s) Skied: Dec. 27, 2013

Resort or Ski Area: Shawnee Peak

Conditions: Packed powder, loose granular, frickin' scary ice

Trip Report:

Took my son to Shawnee Peak for a day while we were up visiting my sister-in-law's family in Lewiston after Christmas. Had a bit of a comedy of errors at the start, including finding I'd forgotten to pack his snow pants (my sister-in-law's wife found him a pair that had been her son's), getting misled by Google Maps on the way, almost getting stuck, dropping gear in the slushy parking lot, putting my skis against a fence only to have them fall over and take out a dozen other pairs, marching around trying to find the ski school desk so we could switch his lesson to the afternoon because we'd gotten there too late for a morning one, then finding that his brand-new boots (Christmas present, along with his own skis) simply would not fit; the ski shop had screwed up somehow and we had to rent him equipment, which the rental shop very kindly did for free.

Ben was kind of timid his first couple runs, it being our first trip of the season, but soon got his ski legs back. Conditions were pretty nice on the lower mountain, though with patchy ice here and there, but after dropping him off for his lesson I found most of the top to be really icy. The Gut in particular was outright dangerous, and indeed most of Sunnyside was kind of slick.

I'd been to Shawnee once before, but that was when I was 7 and it was still Pleasant Mountain. Turned out I remembered almost nothing from that visit, other than some bits of terrain, but I'm pretty sure the base lodge is still the same (though the Great Room is clearly new). It's a smallish family-oriented kind of place, so it was swarming with kids and teens and everyone was really nice.

When I picked Ben up from his lesson they told me he was almost doing parallel turns. Took him and his equipment back to the ski shop when we got home and they bumped him up a size. Still not sure what happened there.

Last edited:

Terry

That was the first day open for the gut. Skied much better on sat and sun. Was still slick underneath but was getting better. Should be good now with a foot of new snow yesterday. Recovery was good considering 2 days of heavy freezing rain just a week ago. Looks like another storm for thursday! Looks like almost all trails open now.

skifree

ski shop is awesome at Shawnee!
friend skiing with me blew an edge on his personal skis and they just gave him a free rental to ski with for the rest of the day.