• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski and Board theft stories

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
gm's story about the unlocked bus hold ski theft at Stratton reminded me of some of the other moves I've unfortunately witnessed.

First, I witnessed a pretty good ski thief apprehension quite a while back: Bus full of teens. When they were getting ready to go, one guy grabbed skis from the rack (not his) and threw them into the cargo hold of the bus. When the owner identified her skis in that pile, the kid just played stupid "not me, not mine". Think about it, 40 kids saying, not me. What you gonna do? Someone snitched on him, that was how that was found out.

Another time, at Stowe, two guys played a tag team of grabbing skis in the afternoon and loading them into the trunk of a big old honkymobile. One of the staffers figured out what was going on and called the cop. The cops made the guys open the trunk up. There must have been 15 pairs of skis in there.

2knees

all my skis are stolen. thats how i can afford lift tickets.

well that and i sell my ticket in the parking lot if i leave early.

i kick puppies in my spare time also.

actually, when i was on a bus trip to waterville during high school, i had my skis stolen while i booted up in the lodge. worst feeling you can have. i had enough cash on me to rent a pair so that i could at least ski. the amazing thing was, when i came back to the lodge for lunch, i started going through the racks and found my skis. my boots no longer fit the bindings so the prick had adjusted them and skied on them for the morning. I sat there for about 20 minutes to see if the person would come back but i got antsy and and wanted to keep skiing.

Greg

Staff member
all my skis are stolen. thats how i can afford lift tickets.

Looks like you stole that grimy yellow ski jacket too......off a homeless guy.

icedtea

i had a classic burton balance stolen from okemo maybe 6 / 7 years ago. worst feeling in the world.

Geoff

I'vce never had skis stolen. I always split them. I've had my poles stolen a couple of times. Once was at the top of Killington and they left a beat up pair of aluminum poles in exchange for my graphite ones.

I've never had my skis stolen..I used to always lock up my skis at Blue mountain but now I use their complimentary ski check if I am going in the lodge. I have brought my skis in with me when I was using the bathroom before. At most Vermont ski areas..there are upper mountain lodges to stop in for a snack and I feel comfortable leaving my skis unlocked at The Octogon at Stowe and the summit lodge at Okemo.

Back when I was in High School..I put my gloves on a chair in the bathroom...took care of my business and the gloves were gone so I had to buy overpriced gloves from the skishop in the lodge. But a few days later I found $8 in the snow..enough for a fraction of one glove,,,lol

skiing is life

my friend tim had his skis almost stolen. i was with him at bromley and we caught the asswipe red-handed. after we came out of the lodge from warming up. (windchill that day was like -5.)he dropped the skis but we ran after him. We gave up cuz we we're in our ski boots.:-D Tim always brings his ski's in the lodge now:dunce:

campgottagopee

Unless someone grabs mine early in the season ther usually so trashed nobody would consider rippin them off. Guess abuse sometimes does pay off.

2Planker

Rule #1 --- If they're worth anything (to you) at least separate them... Better yet buy a cheap cable lock, or use the ski/board check.

After a rash of ski thefts at a medium sized s VT resort.....
We put our skis right next to the lodge window one time and 2 minutes later, saw a couple 18yo punks grab them. We ran out the front of the lodge, found them, and just played it cool. following them back to their car. The guy w/ me played college hockey and was drafted by the Pittsburgh Penguins, (spent 4 years in the AHL) -- Lets just say that he re-lived his minor league hockey days on the 2 punks faces.... and then their car. It was real ugly ! On the way back to the lodge we used a payphone to call security, and gave them a heads up on the car + where it was parked.

The ski theft problem virtually disappeared for the rest of that year.

hardline

Somewhere Between the Toeside and the Hellside
a freind in cali caught somebody trie to steal two boards followed him to his car. walked right up the guy knock him on his ass a proceeded to lock him in the trunk of his car. called the cops and waited for the to get there in his roof box they found 3 pairs of skis and 4 boards.

Hawkshot99

They should let people bring their skis in the lodge with them..why not...it's their property..

You ever watch people try and carry their skiis?
gaper-days-1.jpg

I dont feel like getting smacked with skis when there friend yells to them and they turn fast.

Maksim

Rule #1 --- If they're worth anything (to you) at least separate them... Better yet buy a cheap cable lock, or use the ski/board check.

After a rash of ski thefts at a medium sized s VT resort.....
We put our skis right next to the lodge window one time and 2 minutes later, saw a couple 18yo punks grab them. We ran out the front of the lodge, found them, and just played it cool. following them back to their car. The guy w/ me played college hockey and was drafted by the Pittsburgh Penguins, (spent 4 years in the AHL) -- Lets just say that he re-lived his minor league hockey days on the 2 punks faces.... and then their car. It was real ugly ! On the way back to the lodge we used a payphone to call security, and gave them a heads up on the car + where it was parked.

The ski theft problem virtually disappeared for the rest of that year.

I follow the pens fairly well, whats your buddies name?

Glenn

I've locked myskis ever since I can remember. Remember those locks that came with ski totes? :lol:

I now carry a cable lock with me when I ski. It's small enough so I can put it in my pocket and carry it around all day; in case we stop at another lodge. Cheap insurance IMHO.

2Planker

When carrying them into doors..and tight places..you have to hold them vertically..

The dog figured that out - How to bring a 4' stick inside... Some people aren't that smart though....

We had on broad going up stairs in the lodge w/ skis on her shoulder - Made turn on the landing and took out a family of four, and a window....