• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski and Board theft stories

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Always use a lock... our local hill doesn't have ski check. Would be a nice service, though. I'm a little paranoid about theft (won't even leave a bag in the lodge if I can find a way not to).

ski lover

I always use a one of those retractable combo locks that fit in your pocket. Haven't had a problem... but then again my skis are now old (six years and counting- there are lots of newer pairs on the racks) However I am looking to buy new skis this season.
Needless to say, I am paranoid about the new skis being stolen.
Any helpful advice on locking vs separating and types of locks to consider?

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I always use a one of those retractable combo locks that fit in your pocket. Haven't had a problem... but then again my skis are now old (six years and counting- there are lots of newer pairs on the racks) However I am looking to buy new skis this season.
Needless to say, I am paranoid about the new skis being stolen.
Any helpful advice on locking vs separating and types of locks to consider?

I do what you do - carry a retractable lock in my pocket and use it. I'm too old to keep track where I separated them, plus if it's crowded, they are bound to get damaged apart.

Most ski thieves are the grab and run variety. If you've made it at all troublesome, they won't bother. (I don't worry about the gauge of the cable.) As they say, a pro will get what he wants, but most at the slopes are the grab and run variety.

The worst time for ski theft is the afternoon, when so many people are bailing out. If I'm done for the day and hangin at the lodge, out to my car the skis go.

Ski checks don't work too well for me where I go because they close up far too early. the other good advice is "out of sight, out of mind". If they can't see it they won't think about it.

I've never worried about my bag. Who would want something so gross inside it requires a DOT hazardous waste permit for transport?:cool:

Last edited:

Glenn

I agree. Most of these people are looking for an easy target. If the skis are locked, they'll look elsewhere.

gmcunni

now that my skis are a few years old i don't worry too much about them being stolen*. i've always separted them (yes, i know not perfect system). Or if i don't split them up i just make sure i put them near other skis which are nicer :)

*see babies-beater thread, same applies. they get stolen i get to buy new ones :)

catskills

Some resorts have video cameras, that are damn good. They will replay the tape to see if they can identify the person taking your stuff. Then you can stake out and look for them. My buddy had the worst skis in the world. We left the bar at the lodge about 5:30pm so its dark and his was the only pair of skis left outside. I went to get the car and he went to get his skis. He walks outside and there is this young teenager walking away with his skis. The teenager said it was late and he figured the owner didn't want the skis anymore. :smash: :blink:

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Some resorts have video cameras, that are damn good. They will replay the tape to see if they can identify the person taking your stuff. Then you can stake out and look for them. My buddy had the worst skis in the world. We left the bar at the lodge about 5:30pm so its dark and his was the only pair of skis left outside. I went to get the car and he went to get his skis. He walks outside and there is this young teenager walking away with his skis. The teenager said it was late and he figured the owner didn't want the skis anymore. :smash: :blink:

did you :smash: and :blink: him???

JasonE

Website
www.kittiesforacure.com
In the past... At Wachusett (my home hill) I always (and I mean ALWAYS) use the free ski check. They have a very serious theft problem there! At Crotched, I bring my skis inside with me when I boot up (they don't object to skis brought inside in the downstairs area) and even if we're going in the cafeteria I bring the skis inside downstairs and find a quiet corner for them. I figured they're way less likely to get stolen inside, even if unattended, than they are outside. At larger areas, I used the separate and disperse equipment method.

Now, however, my wife and I both just got brand new skis. I waved goodbye to the old beaters. At WaWa I'll still use the ski check, but for places without a free ski check, I will be using a cable lock this year. No way, no how do I want my skis stolen.

I'm also taking out a separate rider on my homeowners insurance for the skis. The existing policy will happily cover the skis if they're stolen (even if they are stolen from a ski area), but there's a $500 deductible. I'm going to take out a separate rider that drops that deductible down to $100 - that way I can actually get enough money from the insurance to replace the skis if they are stolen. It's short money for the safety factor and will also cover them even if I lose them (though how I'd lose a pair of skis is beyond me).