• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Sundown - 2/28/2008

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
I don't know what to tell you. Sun will definitely help, and there's plenty of that today. But the temps are just not there....yet. Their site claims it's 39*, but I don't see how that's possible. Thermometer must be in the sun.

2knees

ahh screw it. for $45 its probably not worth it. If i'd bought a pass, i would at least have gone to test them. there will be other days.

time to bust out the paint brushes and go to work on the trim.

get ready to put your drinkin swerve on tonight though. you guys coming?

o3jeff

If it didn't rain last night I think you would have a chance of it softening up, but the rain made it freeze up pretty good last night.

What time is everyone showing up tonight?

SKidds

2knees....you made the rigth decision not to come.

I wouldn't say yesterday ended up a total crapfest, but the softening up I was hoping for never really happened. Sure, midday on some of the trails, in the sun, it did get soft. But it wasn't like the whole mountain got soft and buttery. I was hoping the horible scraping sound would go away at some point, but it never did.

As for the Gunny bumps, my brother and I did hit them. We went over at 3:00. Maybe you could say that snow at the tops of some of the frozen death mounds got the point where it would move under ski, but in between it was mostly a mix of frozen granular and glare ice. That said, they were perfect raining bumps. We took 3 runs. There are lines setting up nicely in there. The bumps are tight, but not too tight. When I say perfect training bumps, I mean that the mix of spacing and conditions required that you be quick, keep you speed controlled, and keep you skis on the snow at ALL times. As my brother said on the lift after the first run......even though the conditions sucked I just have to do them again. Even crappy bumps can have that effect.

I had three decent runs considering the conditions. I only got thrown out of my line a couple times. The hardest thing for me was when I went to make a pole plant and the tip of the pole just slid down the glare ice on the backside of bump. I actually worked on the heel pressure, lift the back of the ski, drive the tips into the next bump and was pretty successful at keeping ski to snow and controlling my speed. Like I said, good training.

Those bumps will still be scary with a couple of inces of new snow. Hopefuly a foot will do the trick.

As for crowds with the SO yesterday, lifts never had a line. After some of the races were done Tom's Treat got more crowded, and with the frozen granular conditions you had to be careful.

Sometime in the afternon there was some kind of emergency requiring ambulance, a couple of fire trucks, and a helicopter. Not sure what happened.

Sundown is a nice little mountain. The kids had a great time, and we'll be back.

bvibert

Staff member
2knees....you made the rigth decision not to come.

I wouldn't say yesterday ended up a total crapfest, but the softening up I was hoping for never really happened. Sure, midday on some of the trails, in the sun, it did get soft. But it wasn't like the whole mountain got soft and buttery. I was hoping the horible scraping sound would go away at some point, but it never did.

As for the Gunny bumps, my brother and I did hit them. We went over at 3:00. Maybe you could say that snow at the tops of some of the frozen death mounds got the point where it would move under ski, but in between it was mostly a mix of frozen granular and glare ice. That said, they were perfect raining bumps. We took 3 runs. There are lines setting up nicely in there. The bumps are tight, but not too tight. When I say perfect training bumps, I mean that the mix of spacing and conditions required that you be quick, keep you speed controlled, and keep you skis on the snow at ALL times. As my brother said on the lift after the first run......even though the conditions sucked I just have to do them again. Even crappy bumps can have that effect.

I had three decent runs considering the conditions. I only got thrown out of my line a couple times. The hardest thing for me was when I went to make a pole plant and the tip of the pole just slid down the glare ice on the backside of bump. I actually worked on the heel pressure, lift the back of the ski, drive the tips into the next bump and was pretty successful at keeping ski to snow and controlling my speed. Like I said, good training.

Those bumps will still be scary with a couple of inces of new snow. Hopefuly a foot will do the trick.

As for crowds with the SO yesterday, lifts never had a line. After some of the races were done Tom's Treat got more crowded, and with the frozen granular conditions you had to be careful.

Sometime in the afternon there was some kind of emergency requiring ambulance, a couple of fire trucks, and a helicopter. Not sure what happened.

Sundown is a nice little mountain. The kids had a great time, and we'll be back.

Glad you guys got some decent runs in on the bumps. I'm curious to see what they look like tonight.

Did they land the helicopter (Lifestar?) in the parking lot? I've seen that a couple of times, the firefighters come ahead of time to block off a landing area for the helicopter.

SKidds

A couple of decent bump runs, even on nasty bumps, is better than no bump runs at all. I hope the new snow does the trick. Gunny will make for some great spring bumps.

The heli did land in the back of the parking lot. Not sure if it was Lifestar. It was blue.