• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Sundown Connecticut 2/26/05

loafer89

I made the decision to ski today quite late in the morning (11:00am) so I did not get to travel too far to get in a decent day on the slopes. My son and I skied at Ski Sundown after taking the ferry across from Port Jefferson. Sundown is convienient from Bridgeport and is a straight shot up route 8 and took me about one hour to arrive at the area.

We arrived at 1:30pm and we skied until 5:15pm taking 10 runs from the top while we were there. Conditions were a mix of fine loose granular snow and packed powder and past 3pm there were alot of icy patches in high traffic areas like Exhibition. My son skied his first and second black diamond trails when we skied down Gunbarrel and Temptor. Gunbarrel was really icy in many places and Temptor was only slightly better.

We took many runs down Tom's Treat which has many flat areas, but my son enjoyed it the most, especially the part with the small snowmaking whales near the bottom. Lift tickets for four hours were $35 for adults and $10 for kids under 6 years old. The area was fairly buzy but not overly crowded for a nice weekend in February.

bvibert

Staff member
Glad you had a good time at my home mountain. I was working at the top of the double in the learning area when you were there, if I had known you were going to be there I would told you to stop by and say hi. It was a beautiful day to be skiing! Too bad there were icy patches later in the day...

loafer89

I did not know that you worked there or I would have said hello for sure. My son really liked the place and all he talks about is going back. We are planning on skiing again next saturday and we may either go back to Sundown or we may try Blandford in MA for the first time.The conditions were okay for a year with really variable weather, what really suprised me was that there is more snow here at home on Long Island than in northern Connecticut.

I did take a run in the begginer area with my son at the end of our ski day at about 5:00pm.