• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Skier falls and dies on Mt Washington amugst multiple rescues this weekend

Hawk

I have to agree that more and more people are up in the ravine each year that have little to no understanding of the place. I firmly blame the internet and social media for the perpetuated stupidity. I like many on here have had many outings up in the ravine in the winter. The guys that indoctrinated me were experienced and taught me the routine, the path, the precautions and the warnings. In my mind it was always a mystical place growing up and I have gone up there and skied perfect conditions and I have gone up there and turned around when thing got sketchy. This is no longer the usual way you experience the Ravine. For those that know there is way more to be skied up there. Kings, Airplane, Gulf of Slides, Amo, etc. I have done most of these and have never felt in danger because I learned the signs and had good guides. No longer the meathod or standard.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Her boyfriend was D/C'd today after 3 days in Critical Condition.
Sure hope it was worth it....

One of these days I'm just gonna say - NO, Let them get them own asses out.
Tired of stupid people putting others in danger.

Discharged or disconnected?

Haven't seen any updates on local news sites

drjeff

Potentialy the patient who was discharged after being listed in critical condition, MAY have been listed in critical condition due to certain types of monitors they were on in the hospital, and if those monitors were showing "normal" readings, then they may have been able to quickly go from listed in critical condition to discharged for recovery at home or possibly some type of rehabilitation facility

Just a buch of speculation around this entire, tragic, scenario. Hopefully a lesson for some to know when to turn around, and/or maybe not even go in the 1st place verses trying to push on just because they're already there

cdskier

View attachment 61671It’s social media posts like this one that are encouraging the wrong people to go up in the Presidentials.

Yea...agreed. Perfect example. People see posts like this and don't understand that there are huge risk and that places like Tuckerman change constantly and can be great one day/hour/minute and terrible the next. I'm not a big fan of people like Evan that seem to promote and encourage risky behavior without understanding that there are some people that will blindly try to follow/imitate them. Maybe Evan himself understands the risks (although I question that based on some of his posts), but someone with a lot of followers also needs to take some responsibility for helping educate people.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Yea...agreed. Perfect example. People see posts like this and don't understand that there are huge risk and that places like Tuckerman change constantly and can be great one day/hour/minute and terrible the next. I'm not a big fan of people like Evan that seem to promote and encourage risky behavior without understanding that there are some people that will blindly try to follow/imitate them. Maybe Evan himself understands the risks (although I question that based on some of his posts), but someone with a lot of followers also needs to take some responsibility for helping educate people.
And the fact that the poster said "I want to get to 100k views."

cdskier

They are trying to be influencers and make social media a business for advertising and sponsorship.

This whole "influencer" thing is weird to me. The sooner companies stop paying for this nonsense the better for everyone (well I guess except for the people that want to make money from that instead of getting a real job).

jimmywilson69

100%

but its probably cheaper than paying an ad agency to do it the "old school" way. Remember everyone born in the last 15-20 years consumes products and media way different than us old folks... I'm just about to be 47 by the way, but the reality is I am old fashioned

jaytrem

This whole "influencer" thing is weird to me. The sooner companies stop paying for this nonsense the better for everyone (well I guess except for the people that want to make money from that instead of getting a real job).
There is good money to be made. Can't fault people for trying. If he can make enough money and avoid getting a "real job" I say good for him. Also, filming and editing can be a lot of work.

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member
View attachment 61671It’s social media posts like this one that are encouraging the wrong people to go up in the Presidentials.

I wouldn't be surprised if that guy Evan posts GoPro POV vids on Facebook of him taking a dump.

It seems like he posts some sorta POV vid of him skiing on all the Northeast skiing related pages every single day.

I mean he skis some really cool gnar and I'm jealous of his life's flexibility to seemingly ski every day. But FFS, POV vids suck and even if they didn't, why do you need to post em constantly? Even icy groomer runs of his get blasted on Facebook.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
Yea...I don't understand the obsession some people have with wanting to be popular on social media. Who really cares?
This. This right here. This is social media. Be careful who you’re pointing a finger at.

Also: Be sure to check out my trip report!

drjeff

This. This right here. This is social media. Be careful who you’re pointing a finger at.

Also: Be sure to check out my trip report!

I forgot from what source I heard this recently, but there was a poll/study of teens in Britian (I believe it was Britian) that found that something like 70% of them wish that social media wasn't a thing because of how negative it can make them feel at times about themselves and the World in general, but because basically all of their friends are using social media that they get that not being on it, in their own eyes, isn't a reality... Sad thing to hear:confused:

kbroderick

A number of years ago now, I went up and booted up Dodge's after reading (on an email list) how good the skiing had been the day before. Unfortunately, it was just enough colder that things didn't corn up on that aspect, which was made more of an issue because it was the first time I ascended with crampons and didn't fully appreciate how much more easily they bit into ice versus ski boots alone.

I transitioned to skis, made about one turn, did some side-slipping, and was very grateful to find the platform that someone had built while the snow was soft below the first choke (I assume to stand and video or take photos). That allowed me to transition back to crampons, climb back out, and walk across to Hillman's...where I had a nice run harvesting corn back down to HoJo's and catching up with the other part of my travel party.

To this day, that remains one of the few times I've been on skis and thought that my poor decision-making was pointing towards a really bad outcome. It's a damned fine line up there on many days, where a few degrees of aspect or a few minutes out of the sun can turn great skiing into a terrible experience.