• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Skiing App for calculating vertical feet

jimmywilson69

I used phresheez this weekend at Stowe and Sugarbush. It worked well although when I stopped for a bathroom break and turned it off and then back on again, it didn't record the second half of the day.

Oh well I had 24k at Stowe on Saturday and about 3K at Sugarbush on Sunday because the conditions sucked and it was overcrowded. It took 2 hours to do 2.5 "laps" on what they had open.

jerryg

Looks like Sugarloaf branded a version for themselves --

http://news.alpinezone.com/104428/

Sunday River's version is coming out soon as well. The only difference with Alpinereplay and one branded with a resort is extra patches or whatever. AlpineReplay works at every ski resort in the world and I have found it to be far more accurate than Ski Tracks.

Ski Tracks will map you route on a iPhone 3G, but is really meant for the 4G and isn't accurate for vertical on the 3G. The speed isn't accurate on either.

With AlpineReplay, everything is calculated when uploaded to their site, including speeds, vertical, runs, lifts, actual time skiing, time resting, calories, and more. It's pretty cool. It too, however, is a battery suck! And it's free...

ski stef

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Epic Mix. My pass calculates all my vertical feet to date, using a RF chip in the pass. Everytime it scans it knows what lift you are at and how many lifts you take during the day to get your vertical feet. VF to date =29,442

jerryg

Epic Mix. My pass calculates all my vertical feet to date, using a RF chip in the pass. Everytime it scans it knows what lift you are at and how many lifts you take during the day to get your vertical feet. VF to date =29,442

I too, use EpicMix a couple of weeks a year - well, I did last year and will again this year. It's very cool. The sensors on some lifts can sometimes be on the fritz and if you want to go in and add the lift you had taken, your stats are adjusted accordingly.

ski stef

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I too, use EpicMix a couple of weeks a year - well, I did last year and will again this year. It's very cool. The sensors on some lifts can sometimes be on the fritz and if you want to go in and add the lift you had taken, your stats are adjusted accordingly.

Good to know..I saw the main site was down this evening for updates and my mobile app sometimes takes a bit to update the info. All in all still a good idea..but if you don't stay on top it seems like you could run into it being not so accurate.

Glenn

I used phresheez this weekend at Stowe and Sugarbush. It worked well although when I stopped for a bathroom break and turned it off and then back on again, it didn't record the second half of the day.

Oh well I had 24k at Stowe on Saturday and about 3K at Sugarbush on Sunday because the conditions sucked and it was overcrowded. It took 2 hours to do 2.5 "laps" on what they had open.

Best thing to do is to just leave it on. It'll be a little odd when you're viewing your "replay" on the map, but at least it'll keep tracking the entire day.

jimmywilson69

I thought about that after the fact. I will do that from now on. It would be funny if it knew I was in the jon!

The most recent android update has really improved my battery performance. I used my ipod, instead of my phone, to listen to music and 4.5 hours of GPS tracking only spent 1/3 of my battery.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I don't think we can see yours Planb -- it says /me in the URL. Think that is only for when you are logged in. Do you get a shareable URL? Definitely gonna try AlpineReplay.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Their site looks like it has a bit more updating to do... but the concept is good so far and I like the price (free)

jerryg

I thought I note that I while I like all the stats that AlpineReplay has, the vertical is way off. The maps, runs, and calories seem to be consistently correct, but I brought my bike GPS out with me today and while it showed that I ascended a little over 30,000 feet, AR says it was about 17,500, which is clearly wrong as 22 of my 24 runs had very of 1200 or 1350. I added up the runs manually and the GPS was pretty darned close.
That said, I've always found EpicMix to be accurate, but that is because the chip in your pass gets scanned by a sensor at each lift.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
your right I logged out and got nothing....but I was not given a personalized link, did you?:-o

No, I dont' think they have one yet, and I don't see a one to add " friends" that you can compete with either ... I think the app is still in its early stages.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

planb420

Any other SKI SUNDOWN riders using the ALPINEREPLAY app? My name is Cory Medlar if you wanna friend up and do some challanges this season......POST EM UP PEOPLE!!!!