• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Skiing on the Cheap - 2013-14 Edition

ScottySkis

Got mine for my first day there :)

Sent from my XT907 using AlpineZone mobile app

It is a great deal, hopefully some natural snow will be there for you. They do have some snow guns but with out natural you will not get the most fun of Platty. That time of year can be hit or miss, that is why I usually wait for using liftopia for the week I plan on hitting some place.

dlague

It is a great deal, hopefully some natural snow will be there for you. They do have some snow guns but with out natural you will not get the most fun of Platty. That time of year can be hit or miss, that is why I usually wait for using liftopia for the week I plan on hitting some place.

Liftopia is great for this situation where you can see the forecast and saving a few bucks! But the best deals like my $10 purchase for Jay Peak needs to be purchased months in advance!

dlague

I just put a calendar together with all the deals I got this fall and taking full advantage of them all will be tight! If we manage to pull it off then we will have a great season! Looks like my per visit average will be around $14-$18.

xwhaler

I just put a calendar together with all the deals I got this fall and taking full advantage of them all will be tight! If we manage to pull it off then we will have a great season! Looks like my per visit average will be around $14-$18.

Are you hitting all the RSNE Tour Stops? I know they will be at Jay 3/1 and Burke the wknd before but haven't heard any other dates? Do they typically start the tour at Pats every yr 1st wknd of January IIRC. Any insider info to share?

dlague

Are you hitting all the RSNE Tour Stops? I know they will be at Jay 3/1 and Burke the wknd before but haven't heard any other dates? Do they typically start the tour at Pats every yr 1st wknd of January IIRC. Any insider info to share?

Yes we plan on hitting most of the tour stops! My wife and I generally help them out with raising money for CHaD. They have an oboligation as part of the deal with Pats to have two tour stops there the first one to kick it off and one on the first or second Saturday of February. Jay is as you mentioned, but Burke appears to be out of the equation - negotiation issue (wish Steve@jpr could get involved). Rather, Black Mountain in NH will be in that spot. Maybe Burke will be one of the TBD spots.

As you are aware, but others may not be - the tour stops (12+ all total) are 2 fer deals on Saturdays beginning in January and ending around mid to late March. A couple are not 2 fers but are deeply discounted.

Tenative Schedule and info:
January
4th – Pats Peak – 2 for 1 lift tickets
11th – Sugarbush – 2 for 1 lift tickets
18th – Mt. Abram – 2 for 1 lift tickets
25th – Ragged – 2 for 1 lift tickets

February
1st – Saddleback – 2 for 1 lift tickets
8th – Pats Peak – 2 for 1 lift ticket
15th – Magic – 2 for 1 lift tickets
24rd – Black Mountain (NH) – 2 for 1 lift tickets

March
1st – Jay Peak – 2 for 1 lift tickets
8th – Bolton Valley – 2 for 1 lift tickets
15th – Attitash – $49.00 lift ticket
16th – Wildcat - 2 for 1
23rd – TBD
30th – TBD

A few big pluses:

10% off at Killington 7 days per week
2 fer @ Pico Sunday-Friday (mid week is hard for us but Sunday works well)
2 fer @ Jay Peak Sunday - Friday
Last week in February @ Jay Peak 2 fer week!
Buy the card at the Boston Ski and Snowboard Show and pick your comp

Last edited:

xwhaler

Thanks much----the 1st Pats day, Magic, Ragged, and probably Black are likely definates for me. Will try and pair using my SkiVT and Fox44 card vouchers up with extended wknd to coincide with Sugarbush and Jay.
I'd love to do the Saddleback stop but not sure we can swing 2 straight wknds up there (AZ Summit the following)

This is really an amazing card and the tour stops are fun...I have a nice Harpoon hat Jeff gave me @ Burke a couple yrs ago---my 8th or 9th yr getting it now.

dlague

Thanks much----the 1st Pats day, Magic, Ragged, and probably Black are likely definates for me. Will try and pair using my SkiVT and Fox44 card vouchers up with extended wknd to coincide with Sugarbush and Jay.
I'd love to do the Saddleback stop but not sure we can swing 2 straight wknds up there (AZ Summit the following)

This is really an amazing card and the tour stops are fun...I have a nice Harpoon hat Jeff gave me @ Burke a couple yrs ago---my 8th or 9th yr getting it now.

I have the same deal combos but I am using my Ski VT pass at Stowe, Killington and one other and I will ski 8 of the Fox 44 around the tour stops. We also got some early season ski movie comps as well!

Saddleback is a stretch for use for sure!

Smellytele

Pico -
The P40 tickets are available for advance purchase and provide all ages with full mountain access for just $40 from opening day to the last run of the season, excluding peak dates, 12/21/13 - 1/1/14; 1/18 - 1/20 and 2/15 - 2/21/14.
If you plan on hitting the slopes over the peak periods, no worries. Just grab the P50 tickets by December 13 and use them any day of the season including those peak dates. http://www.picomountain.com/winter/tickets_and_passes/p_tickets

dlague

Note: This does not apply to all resorts since some apply 2 fers for Adult only lift tickets but ....

Not sure if anyone has considered this but if you are using 2 for 1 vouchers to buy lift ticket (Ride and Ski NE for example), buy the adult tickets together and the children separately. Why? Because if you mix it up , the free tickets will be the child lift tickets.

Here is the math:

Using two 2 fer vouchers making two separate purchases
Use a 2 fer at Sugarbush for Adult lift tickets $89 then use the second 2 fer for child lift tickets $70 = $159 for a family of four

Using two 2 fer vouchers making a one time purchase
They charge for two adult lift tickets ($89 x 2) and the two free are child lift tickets = $178 for the same family of four

I would rather spend the $19 at the bar or on lunch!

We buy three RSNE cards to cover our family and friends so we experience this at every Saturday at each tour stop.

Last edited:

dlague

Pico -
The P40 tickets are available for advance purchase and provide all ages with full mountain access for just $40 from opening day to the last run of the season, excluding peak dates, 12/21/13 - 1/1/14; 1/18 - 1/20 and 2/15 - 2/21/14.
If you plan on hitting the slopes over the peak periods, no worries. Just grab the P50 tickets by December 13 and use them any day of the season including those peak dates. http://www.picomountain.com/winter/tickets_and_passes/p_tickets

Or use The Ride and Ski Card and ski there on Sundays on a 2 fer and ski for $33.50 per person. If Sunday is not a good option then this P40 deal is pretty good!

xwhaler

NH Fisher Cats Mini Packs

This one is a little different so stay with me here. Buy a mini-pack for the NH Fisher Cats (Manchester NH) upcoming season and get a bunch of gifts including a Pats Peak ski voucher. I've been emailing with and just called the Director of Sales for the team and he confirmed that the only restrictions on the voucher are no Saturdays or holidays.

Tickets are totally transferable for any game (I chose the Sea Dogs/Sox pack) and anyone can use them.
You can even use multiple vouchers per game if you want. I bought one 6 game pack but may use 2-4 for one game if I bring my wife/friends.

They throw in a ticket to opening day as well so it's 7 games for $60 (box seats)
In addition to the Pats deal, you also get a propane tank refill, $10 gift certifcate to Sanel auto parts, and a $10 gift cert to T Bones/CJ's.

I'll definately use the auto parts, ski pass, and propane which is worth my $60 investment. So I'll go to up to 7 good minor league ball games games for free essentially.
Fisher Cats is a fun take...I've been going to 1-2 games every season---family friendly, affordable, nice park and you see some good young talent out there. (Blue Jays affiliate)

http://www.milb.com/content/page.jsp?ymd=20130301&content_id=42135130&fext=.jsp&sid=t463&vkey=

Last edited:

Skier4life

Yes it's a small mountain and those who frequent it would probably already know about this but there's a pretty good deal going at Shawnee Mountain in the Poconos [NOT Shawnee Peak]. If you're only going a few days snag one of these "Miser" packs and you'll be pleased.

The $125 Miser pack is for 5 tickets Midweek [even holidays] and is transfereable between immediate family [I assume that means people with the same surname] and the $200 Miser pack includes rentals along with 5 tickets.

The $99 Maxi-Miser is for 3 ANY DAY all season long tickets also transferable between family members and the $156 Maxi-Miser pack includes rentals with the 3 tickets.

https://store-shawneemt.com/e-commerce/