• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

small suv good in snow

BenedictGomez

Why pay for the sensors? Do you not have a local mechanic who will throw on tires without sensors? Mine will for me. The OEM tires that came with my car have sensors. All the snows I've bought do not. I just deal with the warning light being on all winter and monitor them for under inflation.

I can put the tires on myself. Other than that, I was going to go with the above logic and just skip the sensors and deal with the annoying light, until I learned that for whatever reason the sensors on my new vehicle are cheaper than most vehicles (I was expecting something like $60 or so). Given I'll have these tires for roughly 10 years, at $13'ish dollars per year I figured, no big deal.

flakeydog

Back to the subject at hand here, small SUVs... bought a Mitsubishi Outlander Sport last year. Compares directly (in terms of dimensions) to the Crosstrek but got it for way cheaper- to the tune of $3-5k cheaper. It has good safety ratings, 8.5" ground clearance, 18" wheels standard, and a 10 year warranty. It is deceptively roomy inside, even in the back seat. I would say Subaru AWD is the best out there but the Mitsu certainly holds its own. It has 2WD, AWD and what they call "4WD Lock" modes. I just wish we had more snow to test it out last year. Downside is that yes, it is a cheap car but that is the point. It was the cheapest thing out there with 4WD, $20k before tax. I could buy 2 or 3 of these for the price of one Audi.

BenedictGomez

You must have missed the post where he said "mounted and balanced" from Tirerack.com. (On new spare rims I assume) He's just got to jack it up and swop sets.

Exactly; and to me that's a no brainer. Yes, it cost an extra one-time $300, but then I can swap them on and off myself every winter and spring rather than constantly having to rely on a garage.

Cornhead

Exactly; and to me that's a no brainer. Yes, it cost an extra one-time $300, but then I can swap them on and off myself every winter and spring rather than constantly having to rely on a garage.
You do know you'll have to reprogram your car's computer with a special tool each time you swap wheels. I opted to skip the sensors on my snows. I will be getting my car inspected without them, Summer tires were ify. Hopefully Tirerack's list if States that require the light off is accurate, we shall see.

Sent from my XT1064 using AlpineZone mobile app

deadheadskier

Staff member
Yes, I did miss that part. I've got dedicated winter rims as well. Just basic black steel wheels my mechanic got from a junkyard for $25 a piece. If it's just a straight swap he charges me $20, same as a rotation which I just get done when I have the oil changed. This year I had to have new tires mounted. $40. Tires were bought off Craigslist from another mom and pop mechanic without sensors. I would have had to order the sensors separately.

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

cdskier

My GMC trucks need no special tools.

A special tool makes it easier/faster on my Chevy, but it can be done as well with no tools whatsoever. Put it in learning mode and let air out of the tires one by one so the pressure drops by a couple PSI. During learning mode detection of changing PSI is how it sees which sensor is for which tire on my truck.

SIKSKIER

A special tool makes it easier/faster on my Chevy, but it can be done as well with no tools whatsoever. Put it in learning mode and let air out of the tires one by one so the pressure drops by a couple PSI. During learning mode detection of changing PSI is how it sees which sensor is for which tire on my truck.
Whats the special tool?

WWF-VT

I get my tires at Direct Tire in the Boston area. Pricing is close to Tire Rack and you get free winter and spring changeover including balancing.

BenedictGomez

You do know you'll have to reprogram your car's computer with a special tool each time you swap wheels. I opted to skip the sensors on my snows.

Not all vehicles TPMS technology and/or reprogramming works the same. My new vehicle is GMC, and from looking at Youtube videos on how to do it, it's amazingly simple, and requires no "special" tool (or tools at all).

cdskier

Whats the special tool?

No idea what it is called, but it is a little electronic thing. Put the car into learning mode. Walk around to each tire with the device, hold it next to the tire and push a button on the device and bingo...relearning complete in under a minute for all 4 tires.

bigbog

we have 2015 outback, had 08-11 CRV. both great cars. the subi is a very comfortable car. easy rides to/from mountains. never tried it in serious snow but performed well in the mild stuff we had last winter. i recall the CRV doing great in some heavy snow. solid and predictable handling.

Torque, weight distribution and tires....

Scruffy

OK,just learned something.Aftermarket tpms need to be reprogramed first.This is different than relearning which much still be done on most vehicles.The tool is for reprograming.
Don’t confuse TPMS relearn with sensor programming.https://www.redi-sensor.com/dont-confuse-tpms-relearn-sensor-programming/

Not all vehicles TPMS technology and/or reprogramming works the same. My new vehicle is GMC, and from looking at Youtube videos on how to do it, it's amazingly simple, and requires no "special" tool (or tools at all).

And this is why people don't like TPMS systems as they are today. Epic Fail!!! TPMS systems should be all architected to the same standard. They should self learn, on any vehicle, no "tool" or device should be needed. Mount em and go. There is absolutely no technological reason why they can't.

yeggous

And this is why people don't like TPMS systems as they are today. Epic Fail!!! TPMS systems should be all architected to the same standard. They should self learn, on any vehicle, no "tool" or device should be needed. Mount em and go. There is absolutely no technological reason why they can't.

Technological no, legal yes. Patents make it impossible.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

thetrailboss

Staff member
Update: leaning towards a 2016 Outback. Any reason not to look at this? Our 2005 Outback was great.