• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

small suv good in snow

BenedictGomez

Well I'm done...

4 Winter tires + 4 steel wheels + 4 TPM sensors (said screw it and bought the dumb things @ $33/wheel) with mounting & balancing = actual cost of $953.

prsboogie

Well I'm done...

4 Winter tires + 4 steel wheels + 4 TPM sensors (said screw it and bought the dumb things @ $33/wheel) with mounting & balancing = actual cost of $953.

Did the same for the RAV4 four snows and rims with the tpms for 799.00

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

gmcunni

Well I'm done...

Did the same for the RAV4 four snows and rims with the tpms for 799.00

tirerack.com is quoting $917 for 4 tires, steele rims, and tmps (50/per) mounted and balanced.

BLIZZAK DM-V2 / 215/70R16

shipping and tax =$1100

where you guys shopping?

prsboogie

I got General Altimax Artics in 16s (downsized for better traction) which was quoted on Tirerack for somewhere around $820 and Town Fair beat the price

And I didn't mention shipping costs to them when I told them the price 😁

thetrailboss

Staff member
OK, so it looks like we are going to sell my Civic and get a new car by the end of the year. :)

I've got it narrowed down to either another Outback or a CRV. I like the Crosstrek, but it looks really small inside and Edmunds did not give it good reviews saying that the Hybrid version did not improve performance and that it lacks in power.

I'm also open to buying a preowned Volvo...say a Cross Country. I don't want to spend $40k on a new car right now.

Thoughts?

BenedictGomez

tirerack.com is quoting $917 for 4 tires, steele rims, and tmps (50/per) mounted and balanced.

BLIZZAK DM-V2 / 215/70R16

shipping and tax =$1100

where you guys shopping?

Tirerack.com

I'm saving ~$100 on shipping by picking them up at their warehouse.

BenedictGomez

I like the Crosstrek, but it looks really small inside and Edmunds did not give it good reviews saying that the Hybrid version did not improve performance and that it lacks in power.

The woman loves her Crosstrek. It is deceivingly large inside. You look at it from the outside, and it looks very small, but it somehow "opens up" inside, and it is very good in the snow. The hybrid version is dumb because it only gets about 2 miles more per gallon, which is certainly not worth the hybrid price spike, let alone decrease in performance, so I wouldn't even consider it. That said, the normal version gets about 30mpg to begin with which is pretty good.

gmcunni

OK, so it looks like we are going to sell my Civic and get a new car by the end of the year. :)

I've got it narrowed down to either another Outback or a CRV. I like the Crosstrek, but it looks really small inside and Edmunds did not give it good reviews saying that the Hybrid version did not improve performance and that it lacks in power.

I'm also open to buying a preowned Volvo...say a Cross Country. I don't want to spend $40k on a new car right now.

Thoughts?

we have 2015 outback, had 08-11 CRV. both great cars. the subi is a very comfortable car. easy rides to/from mountains. never tried it in serious snow but performed well in the mild stuff we had last winter. i recall the CRV doing great in some heavy snow. solid and predictable handling.

Hawkshot99

I had a 98' Honda CRV 5spd. To this day it was the best vehicle I have driven in snow, and even better when I got snows.
I have since moved on to trucks, and have also owned a Honda Ridgeline that uses the same AWD system as the current CRV's. My mother has owned a 08 and currently a 14' CRV that I have driven in the snow.
I am not a fan of the modern Honda "smart AWD" or whatever they call it. I prefer to be able to turn the AWD on or off, not let computers decide when wheels are slipping. Current Honda AWD is FWD until late it senses the wheels slipping, then it kicks in the rear. I have found this to be unpredictable, and sometimes violent to react. In my Ridgeline I had the most experience, but have felt it as well in the newer CRV'S as well. You can be sliding like a FWD vehicle would, then all of a sudden the back end kicks in hard. It requires different driving techniques for a AWD or a FWD and not knowing exactly how/when the vehicle will respond is bad. There is not a way to turn it all the time on above 2nd gear.

Sent from my SM-G930F using AlpineZone mobile app

thetrailboss

Staff member
I had a 98' Honda CRV 5spd. To this day it was the best vehicle I have driven in snow, and even better when I got snows.
I have since moved on to trucks, and have also owned a Honda Ridgeline that uses the same AWD system as the current CRV's. My mother has owned a 08 and currently a 14' CRV that I have driven in the snow.
I am not a fan of the modern Honda "smart AWD" or whatever they call it. I prefer to be able to turn the AWD on or off, not let computers decide when wheels are slipping. Current Honda AWD is FWD until late it senses the wheels slipping, then it kicks in the rear. I have found this to be unpredictable, and sometimes violent to react. In my Ridgeline I had the most experience, but have felt it as well in the newer CRV'S as well. You can be sliding like a FWD vehicle would, then all of a sudden the back end kicks in hard. It requires different driving techniques for a AWD or a FWD and not knowing exactly how/when the vehicle will respond is bad. There is not a way to turn it all the time on above 2nd gear.

Sent from my SM-G930F using AlpineZone mobile app

Very good to know. Thanks.

Hawkshot99

Very good to know. Thanks.
I am guessing most companies part time AWD systems are like this, but I have no experience with any of them. I have ridden in Subis before in the snow, and felt very comfortable. I prefer trucks and SUV's with controllable 4x4 personally(Big part of that is I need a truck bed.)

thetrailboss

Staff member
I am guessing most companies part time AWD systems are like this, but I have no experience with any of them. I have ridden in Subis before in the snow, and felt very comfortable. I prefer trucks and SUV's with controllable 4x4 personally(Big part of that is I need a truck bed.)

Our 2005 Outback was AMAZING in snow. The AWD worked great. Very solid car.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Why pay for the sensors? Do you not have a local mechanic who will throw on tires without sensors? Mine will for me. The OEM tires that came with my car have sensors. All the snows I've bought do not. I just deal with the warning light being on all winter and monitor them for under inflation.

cdskier

Why pay for the sensors? Do you not have a local mechanic who will throw on tires without sensors? Mine will for me. The OEM tires that came with my car have sensors. All the snows I've bought do not. I just deal with the warning light being on all winter and monitor them for under inflation.

tumblr_m17ku3Er8T1qg8gy8o1_250.gif