• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

small suv good in snow

Smellytele

BTW Colorado is more of a live free or die state than New Hampshire by a long shot. NH is actually pretty uptight.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

NH used to be a lot different. The influx of people moving from Mass has changed the demographics. We were once a red state and now are Blue. People moved here because of the way of life was different, Then when they got here they wanted sidewalks, trash pick up and more paved roads.

cdskier

You know what does kill a lot of people in vehicular accidents each year? Bald tires; as Billski correctly noted.

Tire tread wear is something that happens slowly over an extended period of time. People should easily notice long before they are bald that they will need new tires soon. Anyone that gets regular service on their car should also be told by their mechanic that there's a potential need for new tires within the next x number of miles. If someone chooses to ignore that advice, then they are irresponsible and negligent.

Conversely tire pressure issues can happen much more quickly (i.e. due to a sudden leak). Also as mentioned by others temperature swings can drop pressures below recommended levels overnight if they were borderline. TPMS helps bring awareness to this at the very least. It is also far simpler to measure PSI in a tire via a sensor than it is to attempt to measure tread depth (via a sensor).

Last edited:

dlague

NH used to be a lot different. The influx of people moving from Mass has changed the demographics. We were once a red state and now are Blue. People moved here because of the way of life was different, Then when they got here they wanted sidewalks, trash pick up and more paved roads.

They turned NH into MA at least south of Concord. NH is also infested with State Troopers and local cops too. Colorado you rarely see State Troopers and it is generally due to roadside emergencies. Then again the speed limits on back roads are 65 and the highway is 75 and everyone seems to drive 80. I digress!

Addressing another post, checking tire tread is cheap - a penny if you cannot determine that visually! However, bald tires are not usually found on vehicles where the owner can outright buy 4 new tires without concern. It is the folks who live on tight budgets or are on no budgets that drive the tires into the ground literally. Probably also the ones that are insured minimally. Also are the ones driving cars that are older and do not have TPMS either.

cdskier

Addressing another post, checking tire tread is cheap - a penny if you cannot determine that visually! However, bald tires are not usually found on vehicles where the owner can outright buy 4 new tires without concern. It is the folks who live on tight budgets or are on no budgets that drive the tires into the ground literally. Probably also the ones that are insured minimally. Also are the ones driving cars that are older and do not have TPMS either.

That's actually a very good point and no sensor would help address that as those people would ignore it anyway even if they had it as they'd have no other choice. I don't know how you solve that problem either. I'd love to simply say "well then they shouldn't drive if they can't afford it", but the fact is they very well may need to drive just to get to work to support their family. Tough situation.

At least with tire pressure there are still a few places around where you can get free air!

BenedictGomez

From their view it covers their butts; from the gov't view it helps people be a little safer; from my view its another system to disable before it fails and ticks me off.

Sounds like a lot of people do this, especially regarding winter tires.

I would like to know how many states have safety inspections? Most states I have lived in do, but Colorado doesn't the shear number of vehicles on the road that have cracked windshield is nuts. I also see a lot of beater cars with bald tires too.

Not that many.

In New Jersey we used to have full inspection of the lights, brakes, mirrors, glass, tires, etc...., but they scraped all that and kept only 1 inspection item............... emissions, to combat global warming. NOT KIDDING, and not something from The Onion. Carbon emission was deemed more important than brakes.

BTW Colorado is more of a live free or die state than New Hampshire by a long shot. NH is actually pretty uptight.

In about 10 years, you can stick a fork in New Hampshire.

Last edited:

cdskier

In New Jersey we used to have full inspection of the lights, brakes, mirrors, glass, tires, etc...., but they scraped all that and kept only 1 inspection item............... emissions, to combat global warming. NOT KIDDING, and not something from The Onion. Carbon emission was deemed more important than brakes.

Something we appear to agree on! This boggles my mind as well. And the emissions testing is questionable at best as for newer cars all they do is plug into the obd connector and make sure the computer thinks everything is ok and that there are no active codes. I will say it is nice to get through inspection in just a few minutes now that they no longer do the safety inspections...

yeggous

Sounds like a lot of people do this, especially regarding winter tires.

Not that many.

In about 10 years, you can stick a fork in New Hampshire.

I think you are confused with what the emissions test checks. Don't let your predispositions blind you. The emissions test measures the amount of smog-causing constituents (SOx, NOx, particulates, etc), not carbon dioxide. If anything a failing car would be better for global warming as the smog reflects sunlight.

BenedictGomez

I think you are confused with what the emissions test checks. Don't let your predispositions blind you. The emissions test measures the amount of smog

Whichever the dopey, faux environmental, "feelgood" reason, it was, if you're going to have vehicle inspection at all, it's moronic to scrap the inspection of brakes, tire tread, mirrors, operable headlights and blinkers, etc.... yet KEEP a mandated environmental inspection.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Who remembers retreads? Back in the day, lots of people bought them, they cost about 60% IIRC of a new tire. You'd see retreads all over the road. There were blowouts all the time, and the detritus they left behind was incredibly hazardous. While truckers used them the most, lots of civilian did too.

I would much rather have TPMS be standard at time of mounting unless the driver explicitly asked not to. The liability is on the driver regardless, not on the tire shop. That way the clueless get them, but the informed owners, willing to do their own inspections can opt out.

I would also argue that learning good driving skills is more important. I really don't need a backup camera (now mandatory by law) IMO. I walk behind the car first, and I also turn my head to the right and face all the way back when in reverse. That and my peripheral vision has saved me a few times when a pedestrian, or worse yet, a speeding vehicle approached me unsafely when backing up. I shudder when I see auto drivers backup using only their rear view mirrors like a trucker must.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I think you are confused with what the emissions test checks. Don't let your predispositions blind you. The emissions test measures the amount of smog-causing constituents (SOx, NOx, particulates, etc), not carbon dioxide. If anything a failing car would be better for global warming as the smog reflects sunlight.

And VW/Audi did a great job writing software to obfuscate the real emissions level.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Whichever the dopey, faux environmental, "feelgood" reason, it was, if you're going to have vehicle inspection at all, it's moronic to scrap the inspection of brakes, tire tread, mirrors, operable headlights and blinkers, etc.... yet KEEP a mandated environmental inspection.

In the 80's in Mass. inspection was every 6 months. The signs outside the shops said "sticker". And that's what is was, a sticker. Sometimes they'd beep your horn, sometimes they'd check your blinkers and sometimes they jacked up one tire to check a brake pad. In the case of brakes, you'd always get the response, "you've got another couple thousand miles on those". They'd write up the sticker even before they did the "inspection". The hood? This car has a hood? Gotta love the bad old days..

dlague

In 2014. The law goes into effect in 2018 since vehicles have several year design cycles.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

Obviously, it will apply to all new vehicles. Older vehicles will have to be grandfathered!

prsboogie

Back on topic just picked up General Altima Artics with steels for this season at TownFair for the Rav. Holding off till December or the first snow to put them on though.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Jully

Back on topic just picked up General Altima Artics with steels for this season at TownFair for the Rav. Holding off till December or the first snow to put them on though.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Deciding when to put the snow tires has gotten a lot tougher in the recent years. I'd really rather not be stuck with snows on during another 60 degree day in December. Don't want to wait until the last minute either though... if there's a 12" storm I'd rather not have to be stuck driving north with all seasons on.

yeggous

I have one on my new truck but don't like it.I feel distracted looking at the screen instead of my mirrors.I seem to take a quick look and then go back to the mirrors.

I love the camera in my truck. It makes parking much easier.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app