• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Snowboarding

jacobgalvin

I'm the type of guy that can snowboard great but when it comes to skiing I fall everytime I try

Smellytele

To me tele is pretty easy in certain conditions.. And tough in others...

For me tele was hard to do at first. I started on straight 210's with leather boots. The saying used to go "you have to fall 1000 times before you know how to tele". When I switched to shorter (178's) and plastic boots it was a world of difference. Tele's in powder are heaven because of the lower center of gravity that you can have. I like tele's more in bumps then alpine skis. I do think they are much more difficult to race on and on steeper groomers than alpine skis.

C-Rex

For sure..
Snowboarding is tough to learn but easy to master...
Skiing is easy to learn but tough to master...

Depends on what you consider "mastering". Most "good" snowboarders only excell at certain things like rails, jumps or carving. Learning to ride well on technical, steep terrain is quite difficult. And just like skiing, just because you can get down a tough line doesn't mean you've done it well. In skiing, there is more to think about, separate skis, two poles, but in snowboarding you have to do the same with less. Your only contact point is a single edge so the margin for error smaller.

We could discuss this forever, but besides the fact that we're both sliding on snow the sports are far too different to really compare in this way. Some aspects make one easier and the other harder and vice versa.

Funky_Catskills

Depends on what you consider "mastering". Most "good" snowboarders only excell at certain things like rails, jumps or carving. Learning to ride well on technical, steep terrain is quite difficult. And just like skiing, just because you can get down a tough line doesn't mean you've done it well. In skiing, there is more to think about, separate skis, two poles, but in snowboarding you have to do the same with less. Your only contact point is a single edge so the margin for error smaller.

We could discuss this forever, but besides the fact that we're both sliding on snow the sports are far too different to really compare in this way. Some aspects make one easier and the other harder and vice versa.

Actually - everyone else seemed to understand the general point... So feel free to discuss this forever with yourself..