• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Snowmaking in March

Jcb890

Considering the amount of snow on the mountain now, the reality of no major melting this week, the chance of some snow next weekend, and only 2 more weekends with items on the events calendar, I'd be surprised to see them make snow again this season.

While I can vouch that as of noontime today there were still some fanguns with hoses still hanging on them, it wouldn't surprise me to see those hoses gone next weekend

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

Other than Killington, I would think it somewhat foolish for anywhere to make snow from here on out. Seems like a waste of money. I'd rather see profits saved and spent on off season improvements.

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

I agree and don't expect anyone other than Killington to make any more snow, just presenting information as I came across it - I wasn't posting to complain about Mt. Snow not making any more snow.

chuckstah

I agree and don't expect anyone other than Killington to make any more snow, just presenting information as I came across it - I wasn't posting to complain about Mt. Snow not making any more snow.

As machski has already stated, Sunday River is also blowing this week, and it sounds like more than marketing snow.

dlague

As machski has already stated, Sunday River is also blowing this week, and it sounds like more than marketing snow.

Not marketing snow for now, marketing snow for later. Their goal is not to peter out in early April - they generally target early May therefore make snow now to market as being one still open on May 1st.

Quietman

Just an FYI for SR:

The roll-back mechanical component for the Barker Mountain Express is set to arrive today, and our lift maintenance team intends to install it immediately so that we can be skiing and riding off of Barker Mountain by tomorrow afternoon. We'll keep you posted on the status as we get updates, but expect to have it back by the weekend at the very latest.

benski

Just an FYI for SR:

The roll-back mechanical component for the Barker Mountain Express is set to arrive today, and our lift maintenance team intends to install it immediately so that we can be skiing and riding off of Barker Mountain by tomorrow afternoon. We'll keep you posted on the status as we get updates, but expect to have it back by the weekend at the very latest.

At least we know Boyne is now proactively fixing the anti-roll back system. Don't want another serious lift failure.

WJenness

I heard Whitecap area was closing after April 2nd.

Usually after the first weekend in April they won't run the White Cap and Little White Cap lifts, and they will shut the lodge down, but they will still run the White Heat quad for another weekend or two.

I am interested to see what their spring lift plans are this year without Spruce though. That is usually one of the last lifts to close.

I expect Barker lift will be the last lift to close (As per usual), but I wouldn't be surprised to see them continue to spin the White Heat quad longer than they normally do. You can cover quite a bit of terrain with just those two lifts.

-w

machski

Ah, that is what I was expecting more or less.
If they do in fact make snow on Obsession tonight, you can bet White Heat Quad and WH/Obsession will remain open well into April. Access via Snowbound to Obsession off Cascade and exit via Heats Off. They will farm out Salvation as needed and possibly even middle Obsession to maintain the access to/from the Heat. ShockWave is in good shape too depth-wise, it should ski well into April as well.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

CoolMike

Anyone have a recent report on the snow depth on Superstar? How big is the glacier at the top?

Two years ago I recall the depth was absolutely incredible. Are we anywhere close to that year after this recent run at snowmaking?

Long range weather looks like a long series of cold rain storms for NNE.

Jcb890

Anyone have a recent report on the snow depth on Superstar? How big is the glacier at the top?

Two years ago I recall the depth was absolutely incredible. Are we anywhere close to that year after this recent run at snowmaking?

Long range weather looks like a long series of cold rain storms for NNE.
I'll be heading to Killington on Saturday it looks like, so I'll report back and try to take a photo.

chuckstah

Today. (pic from Kzone)
da1857443ca7763f0ed4d00af0e5c127.jpg

Sent from my LGMS345 using AlpineZone mobile app

drjeff

Today. (pic from Kzone)
da1857443ca7763f0ed4d00af0e5c127.jpg

Sent from my LGMS345 using AlpineZone mobile app
For reference sake, those Snow Logic DV4 towers K is using there have a 10m (32'8") length - sure you can add in a couple of feet for the mounting stake they're on, and then maybe subtract a few feet since the tower isn't completely perpendicular to the ground, but the snow gun nozzle is probably about 30 feet off the ground there, and since the middle flat of Superstar where it looks like that pic was taken generally slopes away from skiers left where the guns/lift are, that's a pretty deep spine of snow on Superstar now!!

Obviously based on historical melting out first areas of Superstar, more snow on the flat and also in the lower headwall "S" area wouldn't be a bad thing for the prospects of lift served June skiing!!

dlague

For reference sake, those Snow Logic DV4 towers K is using there have a 10m (32'8") length - sure you can add in a couple of feet for the mounting stake they're on, and then maybe subtract a few feet since the tower isn't completely perpendicular to the ground, but the snow gun nozzle is probably about 30 feet off the ground there, and since the middle flat of Superstar where it looks like that pic was taken generally slopes away from skiers left where the guns/lift are, that's a pretty deep spine of snow on Superstar now!!

Obviously based on historical melting out first areas of Superstar, more snow on the flat and also in the lower headwall "S" area wouldn't be a bad thing for the prospects of lift served June skiing!!

Lower head-wall is the Achilles heal!