• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

So whats your ski vehicle?

Glenn

However, unless I have company, I don't even bother with the racks/box. I use an "interior" box I made that fits behind the driver's seat through the narrower opening of the split rear seat. It is adjustable for ski length, and is also waterproof so I don't get melted snow into the vehicle.

Do you have pics of that setup? I'm thinking of fabbing something like that up for our Jeep. It's usually only my wife and I going to the mountain, so we put the skis in the back with the seats down.

sledhaulingmedic

It's the Sledhauler Hauler!

For me it's my 2004 Jeep Liberty Renegade:

n160401190_30086680_8940.jpg

Pros: Good in the snow, have never gotten stuck. Relatively roomy and has everything that I need in a car.

Cons: Not as good as it could be on gas (usually about 19 MPG or so).

I've seen a few Liberty's with Diesel engines. I've never had a chance to talk to an owner. I was always curious what engine was in it. It's too small to take a Cummins B block and I doubt it's an A. I'd guess it was a MB, but still unconfirmed.

Geoff

I've seen a few Liberty's with Diesel engines. I've never had a chance to talk to an owner. I was always curious what engine was in it. It's too small to take a Cummins B block and I doubt it's an A. I'd guess it was a MB, but still unconfirmed.

The engine in a Liberty diesel is a VM Motori. That's an Italian specialty diesel engine company.

VM was a stand-alone company until 1995 and has been traded around frequently since then. It was owned by Detroit Diesel and Penske. Chrysler bought Detroit Diesel. Daimler bought Chrysler. Then 100% by Penske when Daimler spit Chrysler back out. Penske unloaded and it's now 50% General Motors and 50% a Russian car company called GAZ.

I used to have a VM turbodiesel in my boat which is the only reason I know this stuff. Mercruiser packaged a VM Motori inline-6 turbodiesel with their stern drive system. Many of those brown UPS trucks have VM diesels in them. The Jeep SUVs and Chrysler minivans sold with diesel engines in Europe all use VM. Some Opel and European Chevrolet diesel cars use VM. GM/Daewoo makes a VM-designed engine under license in Korea. VM provides a diesel for Cadillac in Europe. GAZ is going to start building VM designs in Russia for their vans.

jaja111

'02 Subaru WRX with 251,678 miles. Current value = $1000. Best car I have ever owned.

Last edited:

Trekchick

Love the plate! Great pic too! The Overlands are really really nice! Congrats! I'm a fan of the current generation Grands. I heard the next generation is going to be a lot more car like....independent suspension all around. :x
I heard that, too :(
IMO a Jeep should be a jeep and a car should be a car. If they're going to make my Jeep more like a subie, then I may as well buy a subie.

The new generation of Jeep Gd Cherokee is okay, but it still lacks some of the traditional Jeep ride.
True story:
We took our Jeep to the airport with all the stuff for three skiers in the back, plus the three passengers. when we got to Denver and loaded up in the NEW Jeep Gd Cherokee we struggled to get the gear and passengers into it. It has more cu in of room but its not necessarily usable cu in. Look at the angles of the two (from 04 to 05) side by side. The more cu in are in the "aero dynamic" areas. :(

sledhaulingmedic

The engine in a Liberty diesel is a VM Motori. That's an Italian specialty diesel engine company.

VM was a stand-alone company until 1995 and has been traded around frequently since then. It was owned by Detroit Diesel and Penske. Chrysler bought Detroit Diesel. Daimler bought Chrysler. Then 100% by Penske when Daimler spit Chrysler back out. Penske unloaded and it's now 50% General Motors and 50% a Russian car company called GAZ.

I used to have a VM turbodiesel in my boat which is the only reason I know this stuff. Mercruiser packaged a VM Motori inline-6 turbodiesel with their stern drive system. Many of those brown UPS trucks have VM diesels in them. The Jeep SUVs and Chrysler minivans sold with diesel engines in Europe all use VM. Some Opel and European Chevrolet diesel cars use VM. GM/Daewoo makes a VM-designed engine under license in Korea. VM provides a diesel for Cadillac in Europe. GAZ is going to start building VM designs in Russia for their vans.

Well, that answers that. Thanks.

I remember when Jonni's ski vehicle had two wheels. That was hard core!

SKIQUATTRO

who said AUDI has "add on AWD"???? AUDI is Quattro, they pretty much invented AWD, not like the pseudo AWD Volvo *which i also have* that is really a FWD but will send fluid to the rears if needed....Quattro is all time, all wheel AWD...not an add on...

ERJ-145CA

Toyota Corolla, it's my regular car but I usually ski alone so I stick my skis in the front passenger seat right next to me. It also handles well in snow. My wife also has a Corolla which is newer and roomier than mine. We'll probably have to get a bigger car soon to replace my Corolla because we have our second kid on the way.

mondeo

who said AUDI has "add on AWD"???? AUDI is Quattro, they pretty much invented AWD, not like the pseudo AWD Volvo *which i also have* that is really a FWD but will send fluid to the rears if needed....Quattro is all time, all wheel AWD...not an add on...

The difference is not in the drivetrain itself, but the chassis design and drivetrain layout. The suspension geometry and set-up differ depending on what wheels are driven, and often times cars designed primarily as FWD will have transversely mounted engines. Either as an add-on for cars primarily intended as FWD or in cars designed for both (such as Audis,) there are tradeoffs in the car's architecture. The benefit of Subies only being AWD is that the entire design is optimized for that drivetrain layout. For most people, though, it doesn't make a damn difference.

And there's a plethera of different AWD systems. If it could be done correctly, one that isn't full-time would actually be preferable, as it could be more efficient and reduce maintenance costs.

Me? I like my limited slip diffs front and rear with the electronically controlled center. I can acclerate faster on snow than a lot of cars can on dry roads.

Bubbartzky

Here at Killington it's The Bus. I walk out my front door, pick up a free ride, and head to Snowshed. If I have to drive early or late season, it's a 2008 Pathfinder.

dmc

Here at Killington it's The Bus. I walk out my front door, pick up a free ride, and head to Snowshed. If I have to drive early or late season, it's a 2008 Pathfinder.

BUBBA!!!! Whats up!?!

Glenn

I heard that, too :(
IMO a Jeep should be a jeep and a car should be a car. If they're going to make my Jeep more like a subie, then I may as well buy a subie.

The new generation of Jeep Gd Cherokee is okay, but it still lacks some of the traditional Jeep ride.
True story:
We took our Jeep to the airport with all the stuff for three skiers in the back, plus the three passengers. when we got to Denver and loaded up in the NEW Jeep Gd Cherokee we struggled to get the gear and passengers into it. It has more cu in of room but its not necessarily usable cu in. Look at the angles of the two (from 04 to 05) side by side. The more cu in are in the "aero dynamic" areas. :(

I beleive you. I actually think the newer ones look a bit smaller than the ones we have.

I'll be interesting to see what the new one looks like.