• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Spruce Triple - Sunday River, ME

thetrailboss

Staff member
Why so cheap? What's being reused? Triples and drive terminal?

Fixed grips are cheaper, in part, because there is more competition from other manufacturers besides Poma and Doppelmayr. Also, they're cheaper to build. Those two will build a fixed grip with less margin in order to secure a detach job later on where there is more mark up because only those two make them.

$2.1 mill is in line with what I figured.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

benski

Fixed grips are cheaper, in part, because there is more competition from other manufacturers besides Poma and Doppelmayr. Also, they're cheaper to build. Those two will build a fixed grip with less margin in order to secure a detach job later on where there is more mark up because only those two make them.

Who else builds fix grips? Didn't Skytrac get bought by Doppelmayr.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!

I think they were bought by Poma, not Dopp.

Fixed grips have a used market- so there's competition beyond the two lift manufacturers. With the shorter lifespan of detachables, there is a very small market for re-installs, almost forcing mountains to buy new.

The $$$ Figure for the Sunny D Quad at Sugarbush is in- $1.3m, made new by Doppelmayr.

doublediamond

The going rate for an ~3700-foot FG lift is $3M. That's what both Sugarloaf and Sugarbush paid for Skyline and Valley House Quads, while the Mittersill Double was $2.6M and 4000 feet.

Spruce is longer at ~4300 feet. $2.1M is a massive discount.

doublediamond

Partek still builds almost-new fixed grips in low quantities, like one every other year. Dopp bought them out but as long as the lift isn't 100% new, Partek can still build them.

WJenness

They are probably reusing the towers and the infrastructure at the base.

All of the towers and the two terminals have been taken down. (well, one took itself down, I guess you could say).

The only things standing currently are the loading carpet and the lift shack at the base.

I have some pictures, let me dig...

Hawk

I understand they took it all down. They were afraid that the bases were not all installed properly but the steel towers and the base terminal were in good shape. Why not pour new bases and reuse the pieces?

WJenness

Pictures - Taken Feb 16, 2017

Summit:
f3YPdox.jpg

Base:
NiEcx1U.jpg

WJenness

I understand they took it all down. They were afraid that the bases were not all installed properly but the steel towers and the base terminal were in good shape. Why not pour new bases and reuse the pieces?

Fair, they may... We'll see I guess.

As for the base terminal, where they're talking about a faster ride, I expect that means they are replacing the drive (which was in the base terminal), and I've seen / read that it is more efficient to put the drive at the top of the line (but I don't really know), so if they're doing that, they wouldn't need as big of a base terminal.

-w

thetrailboss

Staff member

Partek I think is still independent. That might have been bought years ago though. There's another company out here in SLC that is run by former Doppelmayr staff but I can't recall the name.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

thetrailboss

Staff member
It's Skytrac that is still independent IIRC. Partek I think was bought in like 2004 but that guy is trying again to do his own thing.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

Newpylong

Skytrac is not independent, they were bought last year by Poma due to their fixed grip offerings. Partek was bought by Dopp 10 years or so ago. Though both still do installs largely seperate from their parent companies.

Poma and Dopp are absolutely the only players left in the new or the near new market here, which is what SR is doing. You could also say LST could provide surface lifts to the North American market now as well.

Skytrans and several others will only do retrofits and relocations only.

Andrew B.

As for the base terminal, where they're talking about a faster ride, I expect that means they are replacing the drive (which was in the base terminal), and I've seen / read that it is more efficient to put the drive at the top of the line (but I don't really know), so if they're doing that, they wouldn't need as big of a base terminal.

-w
I heard it was sold to another small ski area (possibly in Maine) but can not find anything on line about that?

tumbler

You then have to run power to the top drive, more $$$

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!

You then have to run power to the top drive, more $$$

Have the drive at the top is minutely more efficient. Not worth doing, unless there's power already up there. It doesn't increase the speed of the lift at all.

machski

They are probably reusing the towers and the infrastructure at the base.
I would say doubtful on the towers being reused. These towers were not the bolt on to the base type, they were put in the hole and cement poured around the tubes. They had to be cut off the bases, so I seriously doubt they will be reused. When SR put in the North Peak Express, they did reuse more than half the towers, but they were left standing in their concrete bases. Had they planned to do that with Spruce, those towers would have been left standing which did not happen.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app