• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Spruce Triple - Sunday River, ME

Jully

I doubt they will run the Triple. Likely Paradigm down into Aurora, the Aurora Quad and Lights Out to get back. As for Aurora, likely Northern Lights?

That is a tough early season set up in terms of opening quickly. Still less cost than running a third lift though.

However, it'll be higher quality skiing than on Locke IMO.

machski

I'm thinking if they are doing that much snowmaking system work, this may not just be this year moving forward. There has always been some friction with all the race training early season. I could see Aurora for the public and make T2/MM early on Locke for racers after this year if Aurora works well this go.

Newpylong

That is a tough early season set up in terms of opening quickly. Still less cost than running a third lift though.

However, it'll be higher quality skiing than on Locke IMO.

Tis true, having Lights Out is more to cover in marginal temps. They could run the Triple until they get it covered. They certainly have some options over there.

Machski thanks for the info re: Airglow I forgot they did that over Northern Lights.

dlague

I stated this earlier, by not having the triple they lose a few run albeit good runs but no significant loss overall.

machski

The latest on Spruce and Locke for this season:
When we last emailed you, it was to announce our plans to replace the Spruce Peak Triple. At that time, we were still waiting on a number of pieces to fall into place, including engineering and manufacturing plans from Doppelmayr for a new three-passenger chairlift, decisions from our insurance carrier, and commitment from our financial partners. To date, we have the engineering plans in-hand but are still waiting on a satisfactory resolution of the other items. The result of these last outstanding pieces is that we’re now behind on any feasible construction timeline and will not be able to install the new Spruce Peak Triple this winter.*

While certainly disappointing, postponing construction does have its benefits. If we were to begin installation on the new lift this season, doing so would force us to close ski access to Spruce Peak for extended periods of time. By delaying this project, all ski terrain can and will remain open throughout the winter as conditions allow.

We realize that being forced to postpone construction will open up many questions, mainly: “Will there ever be a new Spruce Peak Triple?” “Will we be able to ski and ride on Spruce Peak this winter?” and “Will we continue to make snow and groom this terrain?” The answer to all of these concerns is, “Yes—absolutely.” The only thing that has changed is our timeline; our commitment to replacing this chairlift and to your ski experience is steadfast.*

In terms of where we at Sunday River and Boyne Resorts stand for the coming winter, we’re excited to say that construction for the new Locke Mountain Triple top terminal is underway; our expectation is that this improvement will be completed by Thanksgiving. And have no fear—we’re already watching the temperatures closely and are planning to move this year’s opening day to Aurora for top-to-bottom laps.*

As we have pledged from the beginning, we’ll continue to keep you in the loop on our progress and plans as we get closer to opening day, to the season ahead, to the opening of Locke, and to the construction of the new Spruce Peak Triple. In addition to these emails, you can find current information on the*Mountain Report.

Thank you for your continued support.

Jully

Hmm, I wonder what they will do with regards to snowmaking near Locke for the period before Thanksgiving. If the top terminal is under construction, I'm not sure if they will want conduct snowmaking under the rest of the lift.

I suppose they could just push snow to the areas that will be affected though.

mbedle

I would venture to say that the cut-through from upper vortex to the top of the spruce triple will get pretty warn this winter.

Edd

It's hard to hold it against them. That timeline sounded overly ambitious to me.

benski

Lol...hike-to-terrain that's groomed and has snowmaking. All-natural would've been nice.

I doubt they will make snow on spruce except what can be accessed without hiking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
I doubt they will make snow on spruce except what can be accessed without hiking.

My thought too. Making snow for a few people to hike is like tossing money out the window.

From the message:

“Will we continue to make snow and groom this terrain?” The answer to all of these concerns is, “Yes—absolutely.”

machski

Hmm, I wonder what they will do with regards to snowmaking near Locke for the period before Thanksgiving. If the top terminal is under construction, I'm not sure if they will want conduct snowmaking under the rest of the lift.

Since they will be starting in Aurora, I would say the pre-turkey extent will be Barker with Right Stuff and Lazy River only. They will hit connections between Chondi and Barker, may e more of North earlier than normal. I would also venture to guess Jordan may come into play much earlier than normal given the early terrain being in Aurora.

benski

I think when they say they will me making snow on the trails they mean the lower part that is still lift does not require hiking.

2Planker

Yeah, the timeline just wasn't realistic. Especially when you're trying to deal w/ Ins Co and couldn't even start the removal or clean up process for months. I remember when that lift was brand new. I had just moved back to NE from Ohio. Spruce Peak was the expansion LBO dreamed of for years.. I actually helped build and paint that tiny lift shack. We used to put 2-3 people in there before we added the patrol shack over by the sign. Had a great rookie season there, stayed for 25 more.

Will most definitely be a challenging start this year. Good thing SR has the best snomaking/grooming

machski

I think when they say they will me making snow on the trails they mean the lower part that is still lift does not require hiking.

You think incorrectly. They have stated commitment to TTB snowmaking on Risky, AmEx and Upper Downdraft (Upper Downdraft is only accessible from the top). Granted, they will likely wait to make the upper portions that are not connections until later than normal in the season, but they will in most scenarios(the exception being I suppose if this season winds up like last).

Jully

You think incorrectly. They have stated commitment to TTB snowmaking on Risky, AmEx and Upper Downdraft (Upper Downdraft is only accessible from the top). Granted, they will likely wait to make the upper portions that are not connections until later than normal in the season, but they will in most scenarios(the exception being I suppose if this season winds up like last).

Its impressive, but possibly a little overkill. Doing just one of Amex or risky I would think would be enough. Hopefully there will be enough natural when they get around to making snow to save some money.

bigbog

Doesn't Locke snowmaking usually peak later than Opening week(s)? ...seems as though it has for more than a few seasons I skied SR.