• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Stingiest midweek operators?

soposkier

I haven't skied this area at Loon, but I would like to. However, Loon is the kind of place I would avoid like the plague on a weekend... That's a bummer to see this.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone mobile app

Had the boyne pass a few years ago and skiing loon with south peak drastically improves the experience. Regarding Sunday River, as its been said the lifts they close midweek do not limit access to any terrain except the very top of locke and oz. Not really a big deal. Biggest loss is probably Bims Whim.

Krikaya

This thread is very interesting to me as a guy who only skis on weekends. I didn't realize what I have not been missing! I seldom wait more than 5 minutes for a lift,

As a guy who seldom skis on weekends because it's twice as expensive, lift lines suck, there are traffic jams on the way to the mountain and on the way home and motels jack up their rates weekends I know exactly what I've been missing. What secret mountain do you ski where there are 5 minutes lift lines on weekends?

....I realize you may want to keep it a secret!

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I don't see closing trails as stingy. They get most of their customers on weekends. They bring families and drop many hundreds of $$. They do what they gotta do to stay in business. You make your investments where you have the biggest opportunity for returns.

Frankly, while I love empty trails, lines and lodges, it does bother me knowing that it probably costs some of them more to operate for the day than the revenue brought in.

I'll put up with that and the blackout dates to keep them in business. Also, sending your money to the other operators who have small crowds helps them stay in business too.

That's my story and I'm skiing to it!

deadheadskier

Staff member
I expect some reduction in services for resorts to limit midweek bleeding. Shutting down 25+% of the terrain like Loon does? They would lose my season pass revenue.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I expect some reduction in services for resorts to limit midweek bleeding. Shutting down 25+% of the terrain like Loon does? They would lose my season pass revenue.
They sure are a money machine. I wonder what percentage of Loonies are pass holders. I'm sure they get a lot of traffic due to it's convenience from Boston. $$ talks.

Mapnut

As a guy who seldom skis on weekends because it's twice as expensive, lift lines suck, there are traffic jams on the way to the mountain and on the way home and motels jack up their rates weekends I know exactly what I've been missing. What secret mountain do you ski where there are 5 minutes lift lines on weekends?

Lots of places, though I don't ski that many days and may have stayed home on days when the lift lines are at their worst. But I've had very nice Sundays even at Mt. Snow and Loon by selecting lifts, for instance I've never waited more than 5 minutes for the North Face lifts at Mt. Snow. As far as weekends being more expensive, that's not a consideration for me since paid vacation days are worth a lot more to me than the difference in lift tickets and motel rooms. When I retire it would be a whole different game. That's why I'm interested in who opens the most lifts.

Pa. Patroller

I can't believe that this thread has made it to page 5 without someone complaining about Gore Mt. yet. High peaks chair rarely runs.
They close half or more of the glades then advertise on their trail count page that they are open. ( I have had employee's tell me that they can have the trail count seem too low week days ) Other thing i have seen is Opening the glades early to mid-afternoon when there was no condition reason to do so. Nice soft conditions. That way they can say that the woods was open "on that day" if only for 1-2 hrs to keep traffic down. I could go on and on. I live 5 hrs fro Gore and I am a huge fan, But when I arrive and aim straight for the woods only to find ropes up all over the Mt. it really sucks.
P.S. I ski ski with my kids most of the time and I am not big into teaching them to duck ropes. Also looks REALLY bad for a travelling patroller to do such things.

mriceyman

I can't believe that this thread has made it to page 5 without someone complaining about Gore Mt. yet. High peaks chair rarely runs.
They close half or more of the glades then advertise on their trail count page that they are open. ( I have had employee's tell me that they can have the trail count seem too low week days ) Other thing i have seen is Opening the glades early to mid-afternoon when there was no condition reason to do so. Nice soft conditions. That way they can say that the woods was open "on that day" if only for 1-2 hrs to keep traffic down. I could go on and on. I live 5 hrs fro Gore and I am a huge fan, But when I arrive and aim straight for the woods only to find ropes up all over the Mt. it really sucks.
P.S. I ski ski with my kids most of the time and I am not big into teaching them to duck ropes. Also looks REALLY bad for a travelling patroller to do such things.

Thats one thing i loved about stratton.. All the woods are a ride at your own risk.. They never put ropes up.. I dont understand at all why gore closes glades at all. Especially if they have lifts operating to get to them

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

skiNEwhere

I've never understood New Englanders, especially Bostonians, obsession with loon. The lines are often 20+ minutes on the weekends, It's lots of groomers, and not much, if any, difficult or technical terrain. Of course maybe the latter point is why it's so popular.

ScottySkis

Is in Roxbury

dlague

I've never understood New Englanders, especially Bostonians, obsession with loon. The lines are often 20+ minutes on the weekends, It's lots of groomers, and not much, if any, difficult or technical terrain. Of course maybe the latter point is why it's so popular.

I am with you on that one! I was at the ski show in a booth and we were asking people about where they ski and Loon was the #1 answer - blew my mind. I am from NH and I never ski there because the lines do get crazy there. So many other choice locations! Maybe Loon is like an iPhone (you are no one until you have one) Loon (you are no one until you ski there?).

WWF-VT

Mt Ellen

mriceyman

People from big cities are used to sitting in line for everything. As long as its convenient

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

dlague

There are plenty of places where lines are less than 5 minutes! I generally only ski on weekends and rarely wait more than five minutes and we skied about 20 different places last year.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

yeggous

I am with you on that one! I was at the ski show in a booth and we were asking people about where they ski and Loon was the #1 answer - blew my mind. I am from NH and I never ski there because the lines do get crazy there. So many other choice locations! Maybe Loon is like an iPhone (you are no one until you have one) Loon (you are no one until you ski there?).
They'll answer ease of access. More would go to Cannon, but they're afraid.

DHS had the secret mountains correct. Wildcat, Black NH, Burke.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

tekweezle

Just wanted to point out that Stratton, the purveyors of one of the if not the most expensive lift ticket in the East is just running 5 of 9 lifts which causes massive bottle necks and over skied trails.

2 of those lifts don't count as one is a magic carpet and the other is an ancient and slow fixed grip quad from their condos. Good thing 2 of the lifts are high speed 6 packs. The other is their new gondola but it's experiencing operational difficulties.

I think lift tickets are still full price though, even weekdays.

Sent from a Freedompop HTC Evo 4G

gregnye

But there's a gondolaaaaaaaaaaaaa!! I will do anything and will wait for 20 minutes to be crammed in a box with three other smelly people, so that I can make loud annoying phone calls and gossip about my life while being heard. #loon :spin: #sarcasm

When I ski loon I wake up early and never go down to the base until the end of the day, only skiing North Peak, South Peak and East Basin--thats the only way its bearable. I would never go if the South Peaks closed--Even Waterville has more steep terrain than loon without the South Peak!

skifree

because they have a train