• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Stowe Thread

MidnightJester

Camping in an unheated vehicle?!😳

That’s pretty hard core! (y)

For sure...
Suv heat works in emergency lol. Couple of blankets and wear pajamas and sweatshirt and it's more then ok. Did car camping at Stowe with waking up in the morning last year and suv said (-9 & -11) back to back mornings.

Have a inside small space safe propane heater but have rarely brought it

Solo trips I had times my hotel bill was more then the lift tickets or gas during a weekend.

Last edited:

Smellytele

Camping in an unheated vehicle?!😳

That’s pretty hard core! (y)
My son just drove out to Jackson, WY/Driggs ID in his chevy colorado with a cap on the back. He built a deck in it. Stored all his stuff under the deck, Insulated the whole thing and slept in the back on a thick pad and a -30 bag. Took him 3 days. Now he is spending the next 8 months working for the feds to fight forest fires.

kingslug

At my racetrack in Jefferson NY...found a kid sleeping next to his friends car..he was covered in frost.
Told him to defrost before racing the bike..for everyone's sake.

hovercraft

Hey Slug Slice: Took a few turns and pics for you. Sorry I don’t do selfies 😉

IMG_3130.jpegIMG_3126.jpegIMG_3129.jpegIMG_3128.jpeg

kendo

Slug & Hover, anything you guys can do to get Sensation spinning this week, much appreciated.

You must have some friends in high places (VP/GM) by now!

kendo

Im in CO...i would be depressed if sensation didnt run...my hiding spot from the hordes.
Mechanical issues?
End of season was today for Sensation.

It's always about this weekend, but with 100% open including Spruce line, wish they'd reconsider...

raisingarizona

Crazy and they seemed to get only a foot or so
Snow totals only play a small part in avalanche conditions. Location, bed surface and wind transport all have a part in developing dangerous conditions. You could get three inches with a lot of wind and develop dangerous slabs for instance.

Heck, I remember getting hit with a surprise squall one April on grizzly peak outside of A-Basin that was probably only about 2 or 3 inches but the winds were rippin. We aborted the original objective and ended up ripping out a soft slab with an eight inch crown on a cross loaded path that developed that hour. It ran full track and probably 800+ vertical feet. Not huge but enough to take you out and f you up.

Last edited:

hovercraft

Slug & Hover, anything you guys can do to get Sensation spinning this week, much appreciated.

You must have some friends in high places (VP/GM) by now!
I wish, sorry you will need to live like a peasant and ski the quad, Gondi, and sunny……

bbrk

Is closing day 4/14? I was convinced it was 4/21 until I saw sensation was closing this weekend

kendo

Good conditions today even with the weather. Vis a bit iffy through the cloud layers.

Shout out to the Spruce repair shop tech for the while-you-wait spring wax yesterday. Awesome service.