• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Student Loans

NYDrew

I little public service announcement. I know a lot of you have kids so I wanted to put this out there, if the only way I can fight evil is to let other people know then so be it.

Student loans were great when the government ran them. Then they passed off management to the private sector during my senior year. We selected Sallie Mae to manage my loans....BIG MISTAKE.

If you read the papers circa 2007, you will remember Sallie was involved in some sort of scandal. The details are, they would bill you, send a promisary note to the school and then charge you interest. That was all fine and dandy except they didn't realize many of their clients lived off campus and needed the refund portion to pay rent. So here I am no loan money but being charged interest. I had to have a lawyer call them to have the money distributed 60 days late...but they did s*** themselves when they heard from a lawyer more powerful then their own (I have lawyer friends and relatives) and fixed it in days.

Not long after, the government interceded in this intentional scam and ordered Sallie to pay back all the interest as well as pretty hefty penalties directly to their clients accounts. Because I got my money already, I wasn't privileged to get most of this money...but what they were ordered to reimburse me I never saw.

Now, when ever they feel like it they play games with your online account. At least once a year my password randomly changes, or this time my user name. Have you these are written down, its not my memory screwing up. I think this is another Sallie Mae scam to get late fees out of otherwise prompt paying people (why not collect the $5 from both the scum bags and the good people).

IN SUMMARY, if you have kids going to college, or if you yourself are going soon....AVOID SALLIE MAE. ACS is the holder of 90% of my loans and they are so much better. So polite and honest to deal with. They even tell you if you are eligible for reductions or re-consolidations. I may be stuck paying these idiots back but perhaps if the world knew, no one else would ever get hurt by them.

jrdmac10

FFELP has been deprecated and now all education loans are made via the Direct Loan Program. This is actually good for student borrowers in some ways, as they can now get student loans without cosigner by directly applying to the Department of Education, there is no need for a separate private lender anymore.

NYDrew

back to the oldie but goodie. on another note.......sallie mae has done it again. I'm going to have to call, wait on hold and have them tell me how sorry they are that they are getting another $5 late fee cause they changed their system again.

rocojerry

FFELP has been deprecated and now all education loans are made via the Direct Loan Program. This is actually good for student borrowers in some ways, as they can now get student loans without cosigner by directly applying to the Department of Education, there is no need for a separate private lender anymore.

FFELP is gone, which does mean that Lenders like big bad Sallie Mae and other Lending institutions no longer make new federal student loans. They are all still around to give students private loans -- The Direct Loan program is better for taxpayers, but a level of customer service is/was definately lost by removing the middleman. It is even more up to the student/parents to self educate and proactively call about their loans --

Bottom line, call before you are 30 days late on a loan payment, federal loans (stafford/plus are better than private loans). Find out what you owe with the help of NSLDS or your schools financial aid office, and don't forget about those higher rates on the private loans if you have any.

(btw, I work for ASA.org, non-profit geared towards student loan debt prevention/education)

SkiDork

I was listening to AM 1380 in Rutland a few years ago while parked at the Price Chopper, the overnight guy who does interviews etc. He was interviewing somebody who was talking about the student loan orgs and their tactics etc. The bottom line according to this guy was that the student loan folks are more ruthless than the mafia.

WakeboardMom

I was listening to AM 1380 in Rutland a few years ago while parked at the Price Chopper, the overnight guy who does interviews etc. He was interviewing somebody who was talking about the student loan orgs and their tactics etc. The bottom line according to this guy was that the student loan folks are more ruthless than the mafia.

That's a good one! It's a direct correlation to my husband's: "College is the biggest scam going. You just raise your prices whenever you want and still people fight to buy your product."

Eh. I still can't decide how I feel. Three out of four of my kids went to private college. We all have student loans, mortgages up the yingyang and ROTC-years-to-Uncle-Sam.

Number 4 said she wants to be a teacher. I said, "State school, baby." WTF. The cost is almost 20-grand a year and they won't even give her work-study. I say she's gotta pay something, though, so she has a small amount of student loans. Her loans are through Discover.

(LOL...and now she's going to Italy for semester abroad. When I die I wanna come back as one of my kids.)

hammer

May be too lofty of a goal but I'm hoping that we can get our 2 kids though undergraduate without any loans. We have a decent amount saved for each but not doing loans will still put a dent in the budgets for the next 8 years. Once they start graduate work (and my son will definitely need to for the major he will be taking) they are on their own...

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
When I die I wanna come back as one of my kids.)
Have fun finding a job once you get out of college. ;)

I paid off my loan earlier this year. Federal direct loan, 10 year. I set it up for automatic payment from my bank account for something like a quarter point reduction in interest. 9.5 years later, I paid it off. Never had to worry about anything. It is amazing what happened to college loans since I graduated ten years ago.

S finished up her undergrad in VT when I worked at LSC. I think they made her go through VSAC and some other place. Not sure which one but one of them charges a fee to pay online. :blink: WTF? They are really nasty as far as service goes. Can't get that crap paid off soon enough. :roll:

smitty77

Website
hotmix77.tripod.com
It is amazing what happened to college loans since I graduated ten years ago.

It's stunning. My loans from 1995-2000 are serviced through Sallie Mae and they have been great to me, especially when I consolidated them into a low fixed-rate loan. Even though the term was longer (12 years) the rate was more than cut in half. I have my payment directly deducted from my account and the rate is super low - 1.99% (???) Never been charged a late fee, ever. Funny how the same company can be so two-faced depending on the customer.

NYDrew

were your sallie mae federally guaranteed, the legal problems they have had are all related to what used to be called a "direct loan" the ones through FAFSA

smitty77

Website
hotmix77.tripod.com
were your sallie mae federally guaranteed, the legal problems they have had are all related to what used to be called a "direct loan" the ones through FAFSA

I think they were direct loans, and I did get them through FAFSA, and I think they were federally guaranteed. They were taken out from '95-99 and Sallie Mae only picked up the servicing after I graduated so all of the disbursements to the college were handled by someone else. Looks like I avoided this mess by a sliver of time.

neil

My student loan just got sold from AES to Wells Fargo. So far not really enjoying the Wells Fargo experience. Their website is much worse than AES's.

I signed up for auto payments to get a 0.25% interest deduction. Got a letter from Wells Fargo telling me that...and in the letter it shows that the interest rate has dropped by 0.5% :-o