• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sugarloaf or Sunday River?

Talisman

RIDEr said:
Any input on the "Bethel Inn"? How about the Sunday River Brew Co?

I have never stayed more than a couple of hours at the Sunday River Brew Co, but the floors looked hard and damp from spilled beer so may not be the best place to sleep. As a place to drink and eat some appetizers it is a great place.

I have stayed at the Bethel Inn and it is a retro expereince but nice place to stay. The dining is pretty good especially dinner, I think breakfast is served on the late side so making first chair after breakfast is a challenge. The guest houses outside the Inn are modern and there is aindoor/outdoor pool and small health club.

Birdman829

Just so you know Beartrap I took the liberty of doing a quick Mapquest check for approximate travel times from Woonsocket -

The River - 4 hours 9 minutes
The Loaf - 5 hours 1 minute

Less remote than you think, especially if you'll have a full day for travel on each end. I'm not a River Hater, I just love the loaf. I make a 3.5 hour drive every friday and sunday and it's worth every minutes of it. No matter where you go, I doubt you'll dislike it so have fun.

awf170

Bob R said:
awf170 said:
Sunday River... 8 crappy mountains connected together equals one okay ski area...

Man are you negitive Ausitn. :wink:
I feel lucky to have found some fun terrain.

Okay sorry, I didnt mean to be so negitive. I guess I should give an explanation though of why I dont like the place. Actaully one thing I should say is that if you like groomers then I think it is an awsome ski area
First, very small vertical, The runs are just too short
Second, too much grooming(some people might take this as a positive though)
Third, low elavation means not much snowfall

But the good things about sunday river are:
Excellant snow making
Excellant grooming, could be + or -
Awsome lift system, a ton of HSQ

The bads out way the goods for me but other people may think otherwise

Beartrap

Another thing that makes me want to go to the river is I found 44.00 lift ticket on the town and country's website. THe more money I save the happier I am. Plus, I may not be that old but, I cant ski pow to save my life and with a bum knee bumps are very limited. I just like to rip and carve down the mountain now.

thetrailboss

Staff member
The River might not have the most 'authentic terrain,' but you do have to give them props for a great layout, lift operations, snowmaking, and overall experience. It is like nowhere else I have skied. It really is cool. Ms. Trailboss loved it. We had a great week and my visits in 2001 were all great. Friendly folks. From Berlin, it is like 20 mins, so you can't go wrong. If the weather goes south, you're stuck at the 'loaf.

sledhaulingmedic

The 'Loaf is well worth the trip. While Sunday River is an excellent resort, Surgarloaf is a spectacular Mountain.

SR has a lot to offer, but it lacks the character, that certain, as the French would say "I don't know what". SR will get you going after a couple of runs. The 'Loaf will get you primed with the frist view at "Oh-my-gosh" corner.

thetrailboss

Staff member
sledhaulingmedic said:
SR will get you going after a couple of runs. The 'Loaf will get you primed with the frist view at "Oh-my-gosh" corner.

I get stoked when I see White Heat from the access road near Matterhorn. :eek: Hell, I get stoked when I see any ski area! If you're on the Burke Mountain Road and hear Eric Clapton blaring away and see a blue saturn or a silver Nissan drive by, you know it's me! :beer:

Skifastsailfast

River v Loaf

I have the ASC pass, so I ski both. I've always liked the Loaf better, but did a lot of day trips to the River last year when my hubby's back was out and he couldn't ski.

I guess I can say I learned to like the River. They blow a lot of snow, do some great grooming, and while the place seems kind of "homogenized," you can still get some great turns in.

So if the River works for you, go for it. I think we can all agree that a day skiing - no matter where you go - beats a day working.

Greg

Staff member
sledhaulingmedic said:
The 'Loaf will get you primed with the frist view at "Oh-my-gosh" corner.
Indeed. I get excited when any ski area comes into view, but none that I've seen compare to the mighty Sugarloaf/USA:

DSC06263.jpg

:eek: From that point on, you're entranced in the Sugarloaf experience until you stop at that turn again on the way home just to say goodbye (anyone else do that? ;) ). Never been to the River, but my feeling is, Sugarloaf/USA is a place all NE skiers should try at least once. I get the feeling though that one visit most likely results in many...

Birdman829

Yup. I have a tradition of saying "oh my gosh" every time I round that corner, even if it's dark or cloudy so I can't see it. I'm gonna have a nice view out the bedroom window this year. I'll be looking pretty much straight at Boomauger when I wake up and look out the window :D

deadheadskier

Staff member
In terms of pure skiing, I don't understand how this is even a debate.

Sugarloaf's terrain IMO is tops in the east. All things being equal, if I had one mountain to ride on the east coast after a dump, it would be Sugarloaf. It's just a monster with so many great trails and features to ski. Kind of the Mammoth Mountain of the east in a way.

That's not to suggest that Sunday River is an inadequate mountain. I can see why it has the broader appeal as a resort for many reasons. It is a great ski area.

Sugarloaf is without question the better mountain though when considering sheer terrain.

I hope to make it to the loaf this winter. It's been about five years since I last went. I'm spoiled living so close to Stowe, Smuggs, MRG, Bolton and Sugarbush. I certainly feel that my 'homebase' areas offer more consistent conditions than Sugarloaf does due to greater snowfall, but like I said, when it comes to pure skiing terrain - Sugarloaf tops the list for me on the East Coast.

Beartrap

Why is it just as I am ready to decide on where to go ASC throws me anuther loop. I always go to Mount Snow(as you can tell by my nickname) and they sent me a lodging savings flyer in the mail. i can save 25% by booking by Nov 15th. I can get 2 days skiing and 2 nights lodging(at the Old red mill) for 152.00 and that includes tax. This is really screwing with me right now. My brain is having a tug of war with me. One side leans to SR the other leans towards Snow. It sort of like this emoticon :argue:

Greg

Staff member
Beartrap said:
My brain is having a tug of war with me. One side leans to SR the other leans towards Snow.
The solution is to simply go to the Loaf. :idea: Problem solved.

One more time:
DSC06263.jpg

How could you pass that up in favor of Mount Snow? :blink:

Beartrap

NOt much around the area, and the damn drive!!!!!!! Plus I do want to go to the loaf but I am not impressed with the lift layout, nor if it does not dump, it seems conditions are marignal from what I have heard.

Beartrap

Another thing too is going to Sugarloaf doubles the amount of the trip for me. unless anyone wants to give me a hand out. The Loaf is out this year, but I do appreciate all the help and hints from everyone. :D

Birdman829

What dates would you be planning on going? I'd say you could crash with me but it's not my house so...:-?