• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Summer family beach vacation ideas

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
My old boss used to bring his family camping on Lake George for a week every summer. They had to get their reservations in during the beginning of January to get their favorite spot on an island in the lake. Yup, there's a lot to do around there, too. Nice suggestion, Tim!

SkiDork

My childhood was spent on Fire Island - mostly Davis Park. Definitely off the beaten path.

BackLoafRiver

My family has started this tradition of renting a place on Higgins Beach in Scarborough Maine. It is a nice place, very small and cute. Their rental tends to be about $900 for a HUGE house for the entire week but they book up quickly. I think it had 3 full baths, 4 bedrooms, etc. I spent a few days down there hanging with my little sisters. Great place. If you are interested, I can do some research for you.

deadheadskier

Staff member
My family has started this tradition of renting a place on Higgins Beach in Scarborough Maine. It is a nice place, very small and cute. Their rental tends to be about $900 for a HUGE house for the entire week but they book up quickly. I think it had 3 full baths, 4 bedrooms, etc. I spent a few days down there hanging with my little sisters. Great place. If you are interested, I can do some research for you.

next to Reid and Popham, Higgins is far and away my favorite beach in Maine. Never rented there, but went all the time when I lived in Portland. There is only public parking for 100 cars, the amount of lodging is quite limited and the beach is a mile long. Awesome place to get some peace and quiet. Only slight issue is that at high tide the beach gets pretty narrow.

I would love to rent at Higgins for a week. $900 is cheap. What agency do you use? Maybe I can find a small cottage for the wife and I.

SkiDork

Isn't that where Krisskis goes to party? I didn't think it was a family-friendly destination, given her reports...

not sure where on FI she goes. Other than the 2 gay communities (FI Pines and Cherry Grove) Its fine for families.

BackLoafRiver

next to Reid and Popham, Higgins is far and away my favorite beach in Maine. Never rented there, but went all the time when I lived in Portland. There is only public parking for 100 cars, the amount of lodging is quite limited and the beach is a mile long. Awesome place to get some peace and quiet. Only slight issue is that at high tide the beach gets pretty narrow.

I would love to rent at Higgins for a week. $900 is cheap. What agency do you use? Maybe I can find a small cottage for the wife and I.

I like Reid also. Never been to Popham. My students all head there on senior skip day.

It is nice that they can keep the crowds to a minimum. On one of the days they had the place last summer, it was the quintessential summer day and there was nobody there. Again, probably because access is so limited. I will check where they get the place from. I don't know that is an agency so much as a family that just rents it during the summer. I will see if I can get the details.

jaywbigred

My family has a house just as you describe in South Mantoloking, NJ. The beach is 2 blocks away, and is private for homeowners in our association.

The house itself is on the water on the bay side. Kids can crab off our dock/retaining wall. The house is half-way between the Point Pleasant (family friendly) and Seaside (much more trashy) board walks. There are amusement rides, minigolf, etc... galore, and lots of restaurants with good italian and seafood.

Sounds like you found a place, but if you were interested at all, I could query the powers that be about availability.

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member
I like Reid also. Never been to Popham. My students all head there on senior skip day.

You HAVE to check out Popham. It is HUGE at low tide. The way the landscape changes with the tide there is incredible. It can have great waves too, especially on the more southern outer break.