• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sunday River Top to Bottom for Sunday?

deadheadskier

Staff member
The way they do crab down in Baltimore is pretty damn good. Once a lobster is over a pound and a half it isn't worth it imo, unless it is being use for other things that lobster should not be used for (mac n cheese, etc.)

There's a guy right down the street that hooks me up with a pound and a quarter hard shells for about $5 a piece most of the year when he's not drunk and actually bothers to go fishing. The key is to catch him when he's hammered after he's gone fishing. That's when he gives you the good deal and sometimes even offers a beer to share with him.

Certainly beats a foot long Subway sandwich

snoseek

The way they do crab down in Baltimore is pretty damn good. Once a lobster is over a pound and a half it isn't worth it imo, unless it is being use for other things that lobster should not be used for (mac n cheese, etc.)

The big lobster is tough and flavorless school of thought is a misconception....and lobster is soooo godamn versatile, its pairs well with so many different things.

But yeah, I LOVE crab also!

Tin

The big lobster is tough and flavorless school of thought is a misconception....
But yeah, I LOVE crab also!

Agreed, I have had some great 3-5 lbs. ones for Holiday dinners and such, but if my friend is hauling traps and asks what I want it is the smaller type. I will only buy them direct from the guys, the fact Stop and Shop here sells them for $10.99 a pound while they are lucky to get $3 a pound just gets under my skin. Even on sale in RI the cheapest I've seen the past few years has been $7-8 a pound.This year my friend out of Freeport, ME was getting about $3.40 a pound versus last year the highest he got was about $2.60. That difference can be an extra $20k+ for those guys. I worked on his boat a few days this summer, shit is no joke and they deserve every penny.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Those are crazy store prices. The most I've seen Market Basket charge around here the past 5 years is 8.99 in the middle of winter. Its no wonder Stop and Shop closed I believe all of their NH stores

Tin

When we visited Portland and Freeport this year they were $6.99 a pound. Up in Bar Harbor in May they were $4.99 a pound.

xwhaler

Every summer for a period of time I see Market Basket in NH has lobsters on sale for $3.99/lb. I generally dont buy lobsters for home as I feel its too messy and too much effort for little meat. I do enjoy lobster rolls all prepared for me though!

Smellytele

Every summer for a period of time I see Market Basket in NH has lobsters on sale for $3.99/lb. I generally dont buy lobsters for home as I feel its too messy and too much effort for little meat. I do enjoy lobster rolls all prepared for me though!

I do not like lobster rolls. I know they do have hot lobster rolls but the ones with mayo are a travesty.

Newpylong

The Basket def has Lobsters for $3.99/lb but they are always Chicken size. Who doesn't love lobsters or crabs? This is making me hungry even this early.

Quietman

When we rented a place on the Maine coast for my parent's 50th, we kayaked out and bought them straight off the boat. Steamed them in sea water with sea weed, I'm not a lobster nut but those were soooooo good!

deadheadskier

Staff member
I eat lobster about once a week. I can make lobster dinner for two at home for about the same price as ordering a large pizza.