• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sundown - 3/7/09

gmcunni

Gary was also doing video today, though I don't know if he plans on posting it.

ETA: BTW, thanks, guys, for the encouragement! :D I'm still embarassed trying the bumps in front of you guys but it was just too much fun today to skip them. :D

i did shoot vid, haven't looked at it yet but will cobble something together and post later.

Carrie, no need to be embarrassed, you were doing great today.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
:D Thanks!

I have some not great pics... Between zooming in so much from the base and chasing the kids around, it's a miracle I have any. But this is what I managed:

o3jeff & 2knees:
jeffpat.jpg

2knees:
CRW_0048.JPG

2knees:
CRW_0049.JPG

Jake, gmcunni, & bvibert:
jakegarybrian.jpg

gmcunni & bvibert:
garybrian.jpg

gmcunni, bvibert, & o3jeff:
garybrianjeff.jpg

bvibert & o3jeff:
brianjeff.jpg

gmcunni:
gary2.jpg

Pat... I have a nice one of you that I'm keeping for blackmail. ;)

Greg

Staff member
pretty stoked to have that 30min away.

That's what I'm talking about! There's nothing like Gunbarrel around here within a 2+ hour drive. Sundown rules spring in SNE!

Great pics. o3jeff again gets props. He's killing it. Our whole family's faces look like a bunch of boiled lobsters. That sun between 11 and 2 pm was bright! Gotta remember the sunscreen next time. :oops: Sounds like lines formed and bumps grew a bit on Gunny. I noticed it improved even between my 2nd and 3rd run and that was only like a 30 minutes break. Today was sweet. [thread="48489"]Tomorrow[/thread] should be epic. Join us folks!

2knees

Pat... I have a nice one of you that I'm keeping for blackmail. ;)

lol, carrie, riley woke up at 6. i took both of them to gymnastics and dance in the morning, picked up dee and went to sundown. I then proceeded to carry them both in their skis and boots off the top of the magic carpet and from the bottom of that tiny run back to the magic carpet about 10 times before their lesson started. Plus doing the same for our neighbors daughter who's father was too cheap to buy a ticket to go itno that area before the lesson. All i had to eat all day was 2 slices of chicken breast on wheat bread. There is no picture that could possibly embarrass me. The fact i was able to even stand up after all that was somewhat amazing to me.

in short, post it up! :lol:

2knees

actually, that fits right in with the rest of those photos.

i do like the folding at the waist though. mondeo is laughing somewhere........

psst the best line down there is on the other side. that was my last run. i got cut off by a kid and basically skied that newest seeded section after i started up again. all the way on the right. :roll:

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
If it makes you feel better, I didn't even see you doing that at the time. I was trying to get a picture of Jeff as he came down the hill and saw you off to the side when I was reviewing the pics. ;)

My legs are toast tonight. Iced my knee for 20 min, took an ibuprofen, and I swear that I'm going to sleep soon. Those bumps were a lot more difficult endurance-wise than any skiing I've done before! :eek:

Greg

Staff member
It's really not THAT bad...

CRW_0044.JPG

;)

Yeah, actually it's pretty bad. Jezus! Hinge much? :blink:

A daffy is done with your skis, not your poles. 'A' for effort though. :lol:

Good stuff. Can't wait for tomorrow.

reefer

Definitely a great day, the spring bumps were giving me lots of confidence out there and was feeling real comfortable until the end when I was getting tired! Skied with a bunch of Az'ers, gmcunni, jake, severine, greg, 2knees, grassi and bvibert good to see everyone out there.

When we took a break we talked to barts wife, she probably lapped gunny top to bottom about a dozen times so we all better start practicing or she will have this thing won!

Well I obviously saw you. Can't believe my buddy Chris and myself skied Gunny from 1-5 and all we saw was Mr. Magic at 5:00 when we couldn't breathe any more.........................I was on the lookout, I guess not good enough. I think I saw Gary now that I saw the pictures, never would have noticed him without the helmet. I was just in ski pants and a "to ski or not to ski" crew neck.
This was my first visit to Sundown. You are all very fortunate to have a place like Sundown so close. That run kicked my ass. It was great practice for me not being a very good bumper. I would kill for some place like that to go a couple nights a week. Also at my age I tend appreciate "tight " things, but those bumps seemed real tight. My feet can't move that quick anymore..........................................
What a great spring skiing day yesterday.
Have fun today. Should be nice! Couldn't pull off both days this w/e.

Last edited:

reefer

back from a great 3 hours at sundown, well really just gunbarrel. had a blast lapping gunny, maybe a dozen runs. pretty stoked to have that 30min away. the top section has some good lines forming but then in the middle you have to be a little more creative. the lower section is awesome. it should only get better with more skier traffic. a little on the tight side, but for the most part i think they ski really well. wish i had a camera or atleast my phone to take a pic at about 530ish up at the top, it was looking that nice. good base for the most part, a couple small patches of darkness starting to show, but hey its mogul skiing. pulled out of the lot around 6 and it started dumping liquid snow on the ride home. sometimes that isnt a bad thing and can kind of smooth out the moguls. tomorrow should be another A+ day if ur into spring bump skiing. if im not too hungover again, i may slip over there for a couple hours. good stuff for sure. GET IT!

Do you ski at Killington? Think I met you late in the day.

reefer

I got to sundown at 4 pm, I took three “iron man “ non stop runs, then ran into Kevin and his friend chris, both their first trip to sundown, woo woo !!! Kevin had a pair of bump skis on his feet and was skiing really well even though they had been there skiing the bumps for hours! After they left around 5 pm it started to rain and I found that my water resistant ski pants were just that, I left soaked but still rocking my tee-shirt it was a good day!

It's Keith not Kevin but I forgive you. Nice skiing "behind" you Chris for a couple runs. Our out-of-shape asses were hurting by then. Mr. Magic is looking pretty good in those bumps on Gunny. May have to put some money on him in the comp.................................

Last edited:

Greg

Staff member
Glad another Sundown newb checked it out, and glad you had a great day, Keith!

powbmps

Looks like a great time. Gotta love the t-shirt weather.

It was pretty lonely there on Friday.

Greg

Staff member
Oh yeah, one of Jarrod's park buddies (dude with big head phones) hit Gunny top to bottom too. He collapsed at the end. :lol:

Greg

Staff member
Looks like a great time. Gotta love the t-shirt weather.

Great vibe on the hill yesterday. Lots of smiles. Hopefully the kickers will open up today. Come back down sometime this spring Chris.

2knees

did that make you sad? do you need a hug? maybe some cookies and a nice glass of warm milk.....

seriously though, i think you missed it by one day. it was really nice and cut in yesterday.

powbmps

did that make you sad? do you need a hug? maybe some cookies and a nice glass of warm milk......

No, I actually made some new friends up there.

We're hanging out.

Why are they making me wear my bump pants?