• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Table Squatters

octopus

its ridiculous. this past friday at bretton was really busy and there were no tables without either bags on it or someone squatting. we found a table on the 3rd floor with no squatter, but bags on the table. i promptly sat down to take a little rest, my 15 yr old son says" someones stuff is here" so i told him nobody owns these tables, throwing your bags on them and leaving means nothing to me.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Ditto. I'll squat with the squatters. I'm not inside very long anyways. Back in the day, it was only the "Table Moms", who didn't ski, read a book all day and then served the family out of the mega-cooler on the table.

Agree with eating at odd times. You'll get more slope time over the lunch hour anyways.

I have always wanted to take the gear of the day squatter, put it up in the storage bins/shelves. When they come back, just shrug your shoulders!

Last edited:

BeanoNYC

This isn't limited to ski resorts but I hate when parents let their kids sit at the bar. It really gets under my skin. Here I am thirsty as can be with a fistful of $$ and I got a kid sipping on a shirley temple in front of me. I then have to get served over this bouncing 8 year old and worried about spilling two beers on him. Oh...and guess who's getting blamed when the kid ends up smelling like cascadian hops?

Smellytele

This isn't limited to ski resorts but I hate when parents let their kids sit at the bar. It really gets under my skin. Here I am thirsty as can be with a fistful of $$ and I got a kid sipping on a shirley temple in front of me. I then have to get served over this bouncing 8 year old and worried about spilling two beers on him. Oh...and guess who's getting blamed when the kid ends up smelling like cascadian hops?
I believe in NH that is illegal

dmc

Now you know why I live out of my van in the parking lol. I can eat in my van, I can get dressed in my van. I keep all my personals like street boots, jackets, boot bags etc...in my van lol. can listen to music and relax in my van. I can do anything! and its great I love living in my van. No squatter issues (except myself because I have been known to sleep overnight...in my van lol)

But for me it is alot easier...

I like being with people... Just me...

drjeff

If my kids are with me in the base lodge bar apres for a little bit, the only way they're sitting at the bar is if there's multiple open barstools, otherwise they're off in a seperate area near the bar playing. The main bartender where I do my apres knows me and my kids pretty well, and I will always ask, even if there's many empty barstools, if it's OK if they sit there, I never just would presume that it is. Works well for me and my kids in this situation, and not just because i'm always a heavy tipper there ;) :beer: You HAVE to be aware of the overall circumstances at that moment and then adjust accordingly

As for barstool squatters :mad: , well let's just say that my regular big tipping regime HAS a few times had my favorite bartender, really help "coax" open a few seats at the bar for my wife and I ;) ALWAYS take care of your bartenders! :beer:

Mpdsnowman

This thread reminds me of a time at Snowbasin. I had a meet there, 20 of us. During the day I was riding with a few and we went into the lodge so they could eat and chill out for awhile. We get in there and of course its crowded. There is a table with one women and a child sitting there. Now the tables hold a good 8 people, round ones. So I just walk up to her and kindly ask if I could sit with my friends and eat. She replies "well I am waiting for the rest of my family". No biggie...I keep looking around for another spot while the people I was with are in line getting food.

They get their food, come out and I still cant find a table or partial one, so we are just standing for now and they are eating. We keep looking over at this table and we are waiting to see..."the rest of the family". Turns out it was one guy, the father lol. As time goes on, we are looking at the table waiting for others in their family and she is looking at us because she now realizes we know, she was hording a whole table.

We didnt do anything but finish the food and get back to the snow. But you could tell as the situation unfolded that she knew she was in the wrong....but really didnt care...

drjeff

If they ring the little bell after you've tipped them, don't expect any favors the next time you visit.

I'm well past those days! Heck, when I walk in to my regular base lodge bar, I've got all the bartenders, most of the waitresses for the adjacent restaurant area, and usually atleast a 1/3rd of the folks sitting at the bar saying hi to me and my wife on a first name basis, to the point where somedays I almost feel a bit like Norm from Cheers :lol: I just treat them like I'd want to be treated myself, and pay attention to some of the little things that they do, and maybe when my pint glass nears the bottom, I my refill(and probably the refill of a couple of other AZ Mount Snow regulars ;) ) might just jump ahead of of few others who are waiting :) :beer: I appreciate good service, but don't take it for granted by any means

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
usually atleast a 1/3rd of the folks sitting at the bar saying hi to me and my wife on a first name basis, to the point where somedays I almost feel a bit like Norm from Cheers :lol: I just treat them like I'd want to be treated myself, and pay attention to some of the little things that they do, and maybe when my pint glass nears the bottom, I my refill(and probably the refill of a couple of other AZ Mount Snow regulars ;) ) might just jump ahead of of few others who are waiting :) :beer: I appreciate good service, but don't take it for granted by any means

Well, since you are buying multiple rounds for the whole bar, it's no wonder you have so many friends! ;-)

kickstand

I believe in NH that is illegal

It is, with some caveats. I heard the bartender at Moat Moantain explain it to someone once. Something like, at the bar, under 10, they have to be sitting on a parent's lap. Between 10 and 20, not allowed on a barstool. 21, belly up....

This is a HUGE pet peeve of mine. I don't think a kid should be allowed on a barstool or at the bar - period. One of the little tables in a bar area away from the bar itself....I'd try not to do it, but will in a pinch. But at the bar is no place for a kid. That's an adult place. I don't want to worry about what my kids will hear, and if I were there without my kids, I wouldn't want to have to watch what I say because of the 8-year-old on the stool next to me.

wa-loaf

This thread reminds me of a time at Snowbasin. I had a meet there, 20 of us. During the day I was riding with a few and we went into the lodge so they could eat and chill out for awhile. We get in there and of course its crowded. There is a table with one women and a child sitting there. Now the tables hold a good 8 people, round ones. So I just walk up to her and kindly ask if I could sit with my friends and eat. She replies "well I am waiting for the rest of my family". No biggie...I keep looking around for another spot while the people I was with are in line getting food.

They get their food, come out and I still cant find a table or partial one, so we are just standing for now and they are eating. We keep looking over at this table and we are waiting to see..."the rest of the family". Turns out it was one guy, the father lol. As time goes on, we are looking at the table waiting for others in their family and she is looking at us because she now realizes we know, she was hording a whole table.

We didnt do anything but finish the food and get back to the snow. But you could tell as the situation unfolded that she knew she was in the wrong....but really didnt care...

That's the same behavior as people on the subway who won't get up for pregnant women and old people.

Smellytele

It is, with some caveats. I heard the bartender at Moat Moantain explain it to someone once. Something like, at the bar, under 10, they have to be sitting on a parent's lap. Between 10 and 20, not allowed on a barstool. 21, belly up....

This is a HUGE pet peeve of mine. I don't think a kid should be allowed on a barstool or at the bar - period. One of the little tables in a bar area away from the bar itself....I'd try not to do it, but will in a pinch. But at the bar is no place for a kid. That's an adult place. I don't want to worry about what my kids will hear, and if I were there without my kids, I wouldn't want to have to watch what I say because of the 8-year-old on the stool next to me.

I don't want them at the bar (counter) itself but at ski areas sometimes the bar (as in room not the counter) is the only place to get non cafe food (well a little better food).

Cheese

Maybe Mountain Ambassadors could also be assigned as lodge traffic control? Can we just go to Guest Services and ask that they speak to Table Squatters about limited lodge seating?

kickstand

I don't want them at the bar (counter) itself but at ski areas sometimes the bar (as in room not the counter) is the only place to get non cafe food (well a little better food).

Exactly. The counter is probably a better way to say it. Sometimes you have to bring them into the bar room, but they have no business being at the counter top. Wildcat has a great set up for this scenario. Very few bar counter seats, but a large bar room. I'm sure there are others, too.

snoseek

People in the base lodge in general are selfish mouthbreathers.

Don't be a rube, find somewhere quiet to sit away from the mess of selfish mouthbreathers

ski areas need to do a better job providing a decent brownbagging area

Last edited:

Cheese

Most ski area bars are more like a restaurant so I don't have a problem when people bring their children in. As long as they're at a table, in their chairs and they're gone by 9pm. I'm a parent, but I do believe that those that aren't or those that are free of their children for an evening shouldn't have to deal with other peoples children after 9pm in restaurants serving alcohol. After 9pm it's adult time in an adult place.

Cheese

People in the base lodge in general selfish mouthbreathers.

Don't be a rube, find somewhere quiet to sit away from the mess of selfish mouthbreathers

ski areas need to do a better job providing a decent brownbagging area

I don't blame the ski areas for the limited number of tables they can fit in their lodge. I blame the squatters for not realizing that thousands of visitors come through the lodge on any given day and tables are meant to be shared throughout the day by all of us.

snoseek

I don't blame the ski areas for the limited number of tables they can fit in their lodge. I blame the squatters for not realizing that thousands of visitors come through the lodge on any given day and tables are meant to be shared throughout the day by all of us.

Yeah i hear you, its a dickhead thing to do imo. It is awful at heavenly, to the point that i now ski with a camelback and piss in the woods. It was really cold on new years so i rode the gondola down onto town and back up just to eat some lunch and warm up!!!