• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The 2/23 - 2/26 Storm Discussion Thread

WinnChill

Hunter and Plattekill are reporting 22 inches already....damn...

Ah, ok. Thanks for the update. I simply don't have all the info handy to make a decent call on NY...I can't even find Plattekill's info. Just got done shoveling cement and fixing collapsed support structures in the yard! Ugh!

WinnChill

6" at my house with a bunch of rain on top. Clearing the driveway SUCKED today. My snow thrower is only 5HP and it just wasn't cutting it.

Eyeing Hunter for Friday.

Yeah, I'm calling in the plow!

Greg

Staff member
I would be interested in a judgment call between heading to the Catskills (Hunter) or SoVT (Magic or Mount Snow) on Friday. Winds need to be taken into account. Mount Snow and Hunter are more susceptible to wind than Magic. Looks like less mixing to the West.

Greg

Staff member
Lots of talk about high winds on Thursday/Friday, but the NWS is not picking up on it. Worst I've seen are 30 MPH which probably would not cause a hold.

WinnChill

I would be interested in a judgment call between heading to the Catskills (Hunter) or SoVT (Magic or Mount Snow) on Friday. Winds need to be taken into account. Mount Snow and Hunter are more susceptible to wind than Magic. Looks like less mixing to the West.

I've been starting to address slope orientation a bit more--I added a remark about that in VT's discussion and details earlier this morning, mainly about the snow. But I'll add in the wind remark for those areas as well shortly. It's tough keeping track of all the details in the cumbersome editing platform we use.

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com

Lots of talk about high winds on Thursday/Friday, but the NWS is not picking up on it. Worst I've seen are 30 MPH which probably would not cause a hold.

I've been starting to address slope orientation a bit more--I added a remark about that in VT's discussion and details earlier this morning, mainly about the snow. But I'll add in the wind remark for those areas as well shortly. It's tough keeping track of all the details in the cumbersome editing platform we use.

You know, Winn, you're not these guys' personal weatherman. :flame: ;-)

Last edited:

WinnChill

You know, Winn, you don't have to cater to these guy's demands.

Naw, that's part of the fun during storms! It's what I do (edit: it's what I TRY to do). It's hard for people to get updates on weather/storms in between the normal TV weather hits. If I can help people plan around storms just a little better, than it's worth it.

Soulseller--Wachusett is a big mess of heavy rain:sad:

ski_resort_observer

Website
www.firstlightphotographics.com
This is pretty cool.....got up here(Mt Ellen) at about 8AM, another 6", since the NH/Vt kids are off from school, it's pretty busy. I don't know if I would call it powder but it's sure going to help us for spring skiing which is just around the corner and everyone is having fun.

Greg

Staff member
Thoughts?

Source: http://www.wxrisk.com/

1STC.jpg

According to this guy, Catskills are in the bullseye.

Greg

Staff member
I think I just crapped my pants with delight.

Sounds like most of SoVT has a foot already...so another foot+ on top of that from Thrusday on?

If that map verifies, travel north via 91 shouldn't be too bad.

WinnChill

Ah, DT! Haven't seen this guy in a while. Yeah, his map looks good and pretty close to what we've been picturing. All that moisture gets thrown back into ENY. It's just the transition from rain to snow that will be the tough part (NNH thru VT)

Glenn

Really good point Greg! Looks like you'd be fine until Northampton/Greenfield is. But from there south, you could just roll flatlander style....tailgating, lights off, whilst fiddling with the iPod and eating a samich. :lol:

Greg

Staff member
Really good point Greg! Looks like you'd be fine until Northampton/Greenfield is. But from there south, you could just roll flatlander style....tailgating, lights off, whilst fiddling with the iPod and eating a samich. :lol:

Yep. So just another part of my dilemma. Fight my way west on the normally 2 hour drive across the Hudson valley to ski Hunter in the big snow pocket?

Or drive north on 91 to slightly less, but still impressive snow at Magic or Mount Snow (normally a 2:45 or 2:30 drive respectively)? I've got a limited window and need to be home by 6 pm. Either way,departure is going to be around 5 am.

Glenn

Yep. So just another part of my dilemma. Fight my way west on the normally 2 hour drive across the Hudson valley to ski Hunter in the big snow pocket?

Or drive north on 91 to slightly less, but still impressive snow at Magic or Mount Snow (normally a 2:45 or 2:30 drive respectively)? I've got a limited window and need to be home by 6 pm. Either way,departure is going to be around 5 am.

I guess it all depends on how they deal with the snow on the respective roads. I wish 91 in VT had some traffic cams or something to scope out.