• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The 2/23 - 2/26 Storm Discussion Thread

gladerider

Sugarbush is already reporting 31" and it's still dumping. You've got to think several more inches to a foot from the remnants of this first wave.

king, i don't know if you've been outside yet, but how is the road condition on 100?

KingM

Website
www.goldenlionriversideinn.com
king, i don't know if you've been outside yet, but how is the road condition on 100?

Let me walk over and take a look....

Crap, a branch on one of my pine trees just snapped from too much snow.

Roads look fine, though. Usual combination of some people driving way too slow and other people driving way too fast, but they're pretty well plowed. The roads that is, hopefully not the people. ;)

Still dumping out there. I think this is the biggest single snowfall since February 14, 2007 and we haven't even hit the biggie coming through tomorrow. It's going to be interesting.

Greg

Staff member
Burlington extends WSW:

Winter Storm Warning

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE...CORRECTED
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BURLINGTON VT
412 PM EST WED FEB 24 2010

...ANOTHER POWERFUL STORM WILL IMPACT THE NORTH COUNTRY THURSDAY...

.AREAS OF MODERATE TO HEAVY SNOW ASSOCIATED WITH THE FIRST LOW
PRESSURE SYSTEM WILL TAPER OFF TO SCATTERED LIGHT RAIN AND SNOW
THIS EVENING.

MEANWHILE...THE NEXT SYSTEM WILL REDEVELOP AREAS OF SNOW AND RAIN ON
THURSDAY MORNING...WITH PERIODS OF MODERATE SNOW POSSIBLE ACROSS
THE HIGHER TERRAIN OF THE NORTHERN ADIRONDACK MOUNTAINS AND THE
HIGHER TERRAIN OF CENTRAL AND NORTHERN VERMONT MOUNTAINS ON
THURSDAY AFTERNOON AND EVENING.

THIS HEAVY WET SNOW WILL CONTINUE THE THREAT FOR WIDESPREAD POWER
OUTAGES AND TREE DAMAGE ACROSS THE NORTH COUNTRY THROUGH THURSDAY
EVENING.

IN ADDITION...WIND GUSTS TO 50 MPH WILL BE POSSIBLE ACROSS THE
HIGHER TERRAIN OF THE NORTH COUNTRY ON THURSDAY NIGHT.

NYZ029>031-034-VTZ008-010-012-018-019-250630-
/O.EXT.KBTV.WS.W.0002.000000T0000Z-100226T1200Z/
SOUTHEASTERN ST. LAWRENCE-SOUTHERN FRANKLIN-WESTERN CLINTON-
WESTERN ESSEX-WASHINGTON-ORANGE-WINDSOR-EASTERN ADDISON-
EASTERN RUTLAND-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...STAR LAKE...SARANAC LAKE...
TUPPER LAKE...DANNEMORA...LAKE PLACID...MONTPELIER...BRADFORD...
RANDOLPH...SPRINGFIELD...WHITE RIVER JUNCTION...BRISTOL...
RIPTON...EAST WALLINGFORD...KILLINGTON
412 PM EST WED FEB 24 2010

...WINTER STORM WARNING NOW IN EFFECT UNTIL 7 AM EST FRIDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BURLINGTON HAS EXTENDED THE
WINTER STORM WARNING FOR SNOW ACROSS CENTRAL AND SOUTHERN VERMONT
AND THE NORTHERN ADIRONDACKS IN NEW YORK...UNTIL 7 AM EST FRIDAY.

* TOTAL SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 10 TO 20 INCHES WITH LOCALIZED HIGHER
AMOUNTS POSSIBLE THROUGH MIDNIGHT...MAINLY ACROSS CENTRAL AND
SOUTHERN VERMONT AND THE EASTERN ADIRONDACKS.

* ADDITIONAL SNOW ACCUMULATION FOR 2ND STORM WILL BE 6 TO 12 INCHES
MAINLY ACROSS THE HIGHER TERRAIN BY FRIDAY MORNING.

* OCCASIONAL SNOW WILL TAPER OFF THIS EVENING TO A LIGHT MIX OF
RAIN AND SNOW. A MIXTURE OF RAIN AND SNOW WILL REDEVELOP BY
THURSDAY MORNING ASSOCIATED WITH THE 2ND STORM AND CONTINUE INTO
THURSDAY NIGHT.

* VERY POOR VISIBILITIES AND EXTREMELY HAZARDOUS DRIVING
CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED DURING THE EVENING COMMUTE.

* THE HEAVY WET SNOW...WILL CONTINUE TO CAUSE POWER OUTAGES AND
DOWNED TREE LIMBS.

* WIND GUSTS TO 50 MPH WILL BE POSSIBLE ACROSS THE HIGHER TERRAIN
ON THURSDAY NIGHT.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

PLEASE STAY TUNED TO NOAA WEATHER RADIO...YOUR LOCAL MEDIA...OR
GO TO WWW.WEATHER.GOV/BURLINGTON FOR FURTHER UPDATES ON THIS
WEATHER SITUATION.

$$

noski

I concur with KingM. I had to leave at 3:45pm when we lost power and drove Rt 100. Then I just sailed up my 3.5mile climb in my fusion. Never spun a wheel. I love that.

Back to Rt 100, there is that 'ridge' thing in the driving tracks of packed down snow that the plows drive on with chains. It feels like you are running with a flat tire. People were driving responsibly, leaving good distance, safe speeds. So with decent tires and some patience, and driving under the assumption that everyone else is lacking both, you should be ok.

gladerider

Let me walk over and take a look....

Crap, a branch on one of my pine trees just snapped from too much snow.

Roads look fine, though. Usual combination of some people driving way too slow and other people driving way too fast, but they're pretty well plowed. The roads that is, hopefully not the people. ;)

Still dumping out there. I think this is the biggest single snowfall since February 14, 2007 and we haven't even hit the biggie coming through tomorrow. It's going to be interesting.

thanks for the update king. i may ask you again. my buddy and i are looking closely. we may decide to head up your way friday nite. i hope the rain band doesn't go your way. we'd coming from jersey so road condition is important to know.

KingM

Website
www.goldenlionriversideinn.com
I just measured 21" total here on the Mad River Valley floor for the curious. There might have been some compacting over the course of the day (I don't have any idea how one measures storm totals), but it was a little less than my eyeball guess of 2 feet.

I'll be interested to see what Sugarbush reports since they had 31 inches reported already a few hours ago.

Euler

Well, it snowed all day here in Putney...occasionally getting mixy but never pure rain. It's still snowing now. I measured 20 inches at lunch time. I wasn't able to get over to Mt. Snow, but I did get out and earn some turns on a hilly pasture...first run was fairly impossible skiing in the wet cement like snow, but as my kids sledded and I skied more it got more and more skiable and it became really fun. Power was off more than it was on today.

I'm not going to Mt. Snow 'till Sunday, but I'm psyched to know the place will finally be 100% open!

Last edited:

Glenn

Well, it snowed all day here in Putney...occasionally getting mixy but never pure rain. It's still snowing now. I measured 20 inches at lunch time. I wasn't able to get over to Mt. Snow, but I did get out and earn some turns on a hilly pasture...first run was fairly impossible skiing in the wet cement like snow, but as my kids sledded and I skied more it got more and more skiable and fun it got. Power was off more than it was on today.

I'm not going to Mt. Snow 'till Sunday, but I'm psyched to know the place will finally be 100% open!

Excellent update! We still have no power in Dummerston. I think I'm going to head up a bit and get the Jotul going. While it may be safe because temps are hovering around freezing, I don't want to take any chaces.

ZYDECORICH

Yep. So just another part of my dilemma. Fight my way west on the normally 2 hour drive across the Hudson valley to ski Hunter in the big snow pocket?

Or drive north on 91 to slightly less, but still impressive snow at Magic or Mount Snow (normally a 2:45 or 2:30 drive respectively)? I've got a limited window and need to be home by 6 pm. Either way,departure is going to be around 5 am.

I skiied Belleayre today. it was 20 inches of heavy cement. tough going, very grabby with tough vision.. foggy, misty,. my legs are toast. if Magic's snow is dryer (maybe a little?) and a shorter distance for you, i would go there. I would think that Hunter would be about the same as Belleayre. Bring the wide boards, I got my ass kicked today. My knee is very mad at me. At least I skiied for free, today was my reverse birthday (sept 24) so you ski free at Belleayre on that day.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
All of a sudden, this storm is a lot more legit for me. I can't take off, but I think I'll be working from Wegman's tomorrow and enjoy a night storm!

StormTotalSnowFcst.png

Greg

Staff member
I skiied Belleayre today. it was 20 inches of heavy cement. tough going, very grabby with tough vision.. foggy, misty,. my legs are toast. if Magic's snow is dryer (maybe a little?) and a shorter distance for you, i would go there. I would think that Hunter would be about the same as Belleayre. Bring the wide boards, I got my ass kicked today. My knee is very mad at me. At least I skiied for free, today was my reverse birthday (sept 24) so you ski free at Belleayre on that day.

Hmm. seems like a common report (cement). Not surprised. Glad I finally have widish boards (Watea 94). Will bring the mid-fats too in case some bumps set up. Perhaps some human grooming is in order with this stuff? I can hear the untracked powder elitists gasping.

ZYDECORICH

Hmm. seems like a common report (cement). Not surprised. Glad I finally have widish boards (Watea 94). Will bring the mid-fats too in case some bumps set up. Perhaps some human grooming is in order with this stuff? I can hear the untracked powder elitists gasping.

yes very heavy. i sank in the untracked stuff. i don't think i have ever skiied that heavy a snow. people were getting tossed left and right.. very grabby. grooming this stuff would help.. sorry to the elitists.

ski_resort_observer

Website
www.firstlightphotographics.com
Yup, 31" was the official amount when I left Mt Ellen at around 5:30. A bunch of cars got stuck in the parking lot, mostly from parking in the wrong place and getting plowed in or a few had summer tires. Mother Nature definately decided to make up for lost snow. :lol:

People had problems locating their skis after a snowy yardsale. Not too many people in the east use powder cords, understandebly so. :wink: Lost pwer a couple of times for short periods of time. I love big storms! I wish I had my camera today, will bring it tomorrow. Thanks to all snow dancers! Praise Ullr!

Glenn

I'm stuck on 91 north..around exit 24 and 25 in CT. Tractor tailer fire. Highway shut. It's a gonna be a long night. I did take pics of fire trucks going by...I'll post them in my weekend TR. Not a good start to my weather related trip to VT. I bet the driveway isn't plowed. :lol:

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Yep. So just another part of my dilemma. Fight my way west on the normally 2 hour drive across the Hudson valley to ski Hunter in the big snow pocket?

Or drive north on 91 to slightly less, but still impressive snow at Magic or Mount Snow (normally a 2:45 or 2:30 drive respectively)? I've got a limited window and need to be home by 6 pm. Either way,departure is going to be around 5 am.

Greg, if I was you, I'd go for the highest elevation.

dmc

grooming this stuff would help.. sorry to the elitists.

Or the people that can handle snow like that... not so elite.. just better skills in the deep and heavy...

I think grooming the flats will be good... But not the steeps..

drjeff

I think grooming the flats will be good... But not the steeps..

+1

Or places that got dumped on yesterday and then get a healthy dose of "immature" snow today will need some widespread grooming. I don't want to think about what 20-30+" of already heavy snow saturated with potentially a couple of inches of immature snow and then warmed to between 35 and 40 degrees would be like to make turns in :eek: :eek: :eek:

dmc

+1

Or places that got dumped on yesterday and then get a healthy dose of "immature" snow today will need some widespread grooming. I don't want to think about what 20-30+" of already heavy snow saturated with potentially a couple of inches of immature snow and then warmed to between 35 and 40 degrees would be like to make turns in :eek: :eek: :eek:

whats the chance of this snow drying out? I was bright blue inside.. really moist..

drjeff

whats the chance of this snow drying out? I was bright blue inside.. really moist..

If you could leave it untouched on a steeper, northerly facing slope for a few days with some wind, maybe. But the chances of such, especially given the general trend of unsettled weather the next few days is pretty slim.

These type of storms have to be the ones that cause resorts headaches, since in one sense, it will get people to the hill and sell lift tickets, but with so much soft snow and so many people on it, you'll get tons of mogul runs forming all over the mountain that the masses can't really handle/don't enjoy and as a result the great people in the skier/rider services area will be inundated by people complaining about lack of grooming within a couple hours of 1st chair :eek: :smash: :(