• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Official 1/14 - 1/15 Storm Discussion Thread

nelsapbm

Currently 33 at my house. Rain/Snow line is pretty much sitting on top of us right now. Calling for 4-8 over here....liking the StJ area forcast!

teachski

Website
teachski.com
This is depressing. The ground is bare with a couple small piles from the plows still remaining. As I drove past Wachusett on route 2 today it was raining so hard that I could barely see the lines on the road. I bet it hit Wachusett hard today. They are calling for the temperature to drop after midnight and for us to get 3 to 6 inches. That will help, but we need a lot more snow.

meat

Jay turned to snow as I was leaving around 4:55, not coming down to hard, but I just checked the radar and it just looks like we're in a dry slot right now. hope we get the biggness cuz todays rain was ridiculosly disgusting.

mountaindude

Still hanging on to about 42 degrees here. Got as high as 54 around one o'clock today. My wife and I got some spring like cleaning done today around the house. We sat on the porch around five in t-shirts and had a couple beers. Strange brew of weather around here. Snow is on its way though. :beer:

thetrailboss

Staff member
Very windy now in the UV. Now precip. Getting colder.

Sunapee has said that they have the snowguns locked and loaded. Likely to start resurfacing tonight right on through Monday or Tuesday as temps allow.

catskills

Belleayre Mtn - 4:00 PM Today temps went south and MAJOR snow storm started after a day of on and off rain. Most of the trails held up today. Tomorrow should be an awesome POWDER DAY in the Catskills. Lets hope for 12+ inches of the white stuff.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
i doubt this storm is going to bring 'powder'. fresh snow for sure, let's hope it is cold enough for powder (which also means more snow) but i think the temps are going to be too warm for good powder snow.

no snow here in the NEK, but i just got back from doing laundry and the difference between when i left and when i got back was substantial. the pleasant and balmy temperatures are gone replaced with a biting wind and the rain is starting to change over. probably will change over and start snowing in about two hours i would guess.

patience twintwips! the only statistic that matters is tomorrow morning's measurement ;) postings in the next 6 hours of preliminary reportings are irrelevent until then.

thetrailboss

Staff member
8:08 pm. Changeover currently happening in Upper Valley. I can hear the ice pellets hitting the window right now.

TwinTips21

I have been hearing the same thing for the past 2 hours here in north western NJ. Have a dusting to an inch with heavy snow/sleet and a rumble of thunder every once and awhile. Really wicked storm, when i went outside all the rain had frozen and sidewalks are extremely slippery. Mountain Creek tomo? NEVER-WORST SKI RESORT IN THE HISTORY OF SKI RESORTS.(I live 20 minutes from it and drive 5 hours to vermont almost every weekend, shows how bad it is) BTW-I think people are starting to steal skis and snowboards as people are using them, it's getting that bad.

ckofer

Website
www.skicheapordie.com
asnowstorm.jpg

This is from Strafford NH at 830 pm. Still too warm. The twig is a Maine Woodsman's Weatherstick.

As if you didn't know, here's how they work (per site):

Maine Woodsman's Weather sticks have been predicting the weather, delighting their owners, and amazing new acquaintances all around the world for over ten years. Long before that the Abanaki Indians probably used them as hostess gifts when they went to dinner in neighboring wigwams! Hang on an outside wall or door casing exposed to the weather, stick bends down to foretell foul weather up for fair (unless you've hung it upside down - the hole goes on top)! approximately 12" - 16" long. Each stick comes packaged with story of weather stick and simple instructions.

meat

big time hammering has started

meat said:
Jay turned to snow as I was leaving around 4:55, not coming down to hard, but I just checked the radar and it just looks like we're in a dry slot right now. hope we get the biggness cuz todays rain was ridiculosly disgusting.

these nickle and dime flurries have stopped, now it is really vomiting, the radar looks promising.

Greg

Staff member
Just got in from a couple of parties we went to today. Left the afternoon party to moderate rain and 57 degrees. Left the evening party to 36 degrees and moderate rain. By the time we got home around 9:15 pm (further north and higher elevation), 33 degrees and a mix. It's now 32 and sleeting heavily and very windy.

redalienx11

Website
www.alaskamountainguides.com
Here on Exit 18 on the NYS thruway (New Paltz) it's snowing steadily. Within an hour we have about an inch to 1.5 inches. The wind is gusting and blowing snow like crazy so it is hard to tell exactly whats going on out there. But now that I think about it... it doesn;t really matter what's goin on out there as long as it's DUMPING.

thetrailboss

Staff member
10:05 pm: Trace of snow/ice pellets on the ground here in the Upper Valley. Hope there is more snow up in the mountains.

Zand

Rain just went over to snow here after a 15 degree drop in 30 minutes. Had my window open when the cold front blew throgh, caught me by suprise.

nelsapbm

Changed to snow in the Burlington area around 6:00. It's now almost 11 and dumping heavily. Probably got 4ish inches in my driveway so far. I imagine tomorrow is going to be super windy, so Monday looks like the day to ski.....