• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Official 12/19/08 Storm Discussion Thread

dropKickMurphy

Wa was great tonight... drive home wasn't bad either... solid snowpack on the roads, but Audi Quattro + good tires made for an easy ride home... worst part was having to go 15mph behind a plow crew on the way home for a few miles on route 2.

-w

I drove the round-triip to use my free Stratton pass on Friday.

I wasn't looking forward to the drive home. Not so much for the drive itself...my AWD Element with new Nokian WR tires had no problems handling the road conditions...but for the gridlock I expected on the Eastern Mass roadways.

Fortunately, it appears that many people stayed home for the day, and there was no traffic at all. The only thing that held me up on the trip home was running into that snow plow crew on Route 2. WTF is up with that? I have no idea why the Mass crews find it necessary to hold up traffic for miles by going 15 MPH and preventing anyone from passing them. I was behind a plow on Route 30 in VT for a few miles, and he was going 35 MPH on a narrower, curvier roadway with absolutely no problem.

This is something I've encountered before in Mass that pi$$es me off. Last year, I picked up a buddy early in the morning and headed to Crossed Sabers Ski shop in Raynham to catch a bus trip to SR. Since a couple of inches of snow had been predicted for our area overnight, we gave ourselves plenty of extra time. When we hit Route 495, the temp was in the mid 30's and a light to moderate rain was falling. The road surface was perfectly fine. Then we ran into one of those !@#$ plow crews. Four trucks forming a rolling roadblock going 15 MPH...pushing 1/2 inch of liquid off the road. It was absolutely ridiculous. I stayed tight behind the crew searching for an opening. As soon as one of the trucks pulled slightly ahead of the others, I made my move and got past them. We ended up making bus by about 3 minutes.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I kinda wonder about Ragged's report of 17" fresh. Can anyone in the area confirm or correct that number?
Over a foot of blower pow in Ashland, NH and still snowing, wow. Ragged was on my short list today but I knew the blower was falling over minimal base so I took the safe option. Given what we have here in Ashland, I think a foot and a half may be possible at Ragged. Definitely a foot minimum even at the base considering what we got just down the road.

Glenn

Hmm...told ya so... :roll:

;)

Picked up about a foot, I guess. 15 degrees here and light snow all morning We're expecting up to another 8" tonight and tomorrow. :snow:.

I was damn surprised! If we (our company) canceled, we'd be out the money. However, since the AquaTurf canceled, we're allowed reschedule. I've been at my company 9 years; first time the party has ever been canceled.