• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Results are In! AZ Best Resort in the East Condorcet Poll!

deadheadskier

Staff member
Who really cares about the Eastern Township resorts..

Having driven by them on a QC trip last spring, I'm dying to ski them. They look great. It's inexpensive to ski them and you have awesome off hill culinary experiences available in QC if you choose to do the St. Anne and Massif combo and probably pretty good off hill ski experiences in Magog if you chose Bromont, Sutton etc.

skiersleft

Random comments:

1. Pico had a very strong showing, as was already mentioned. Makes me wonder how Killington would score if they ever manage to build the interconnect. Will it translate into a much better showing or will it just take away from Pico and not add much to K's ranking amongst AZers?

2. Holiday Valley where it deserves at #48, notwithstanding its high rankings in Ski Mag.

3. Okemo at #21, losing to Gore, Loon, Stratton, Pico, Magic, Burker, etc. Once again, big difference with Ski Mag.

4. Strong showing for Gore at #16. As Adiron Rider pointed out, good showing for NY with Whiteface at #10, Gore at #16 and Hunter at #26.

5. Windham ranks last amongst the Catskill areas. It surprises me that it was beat by Belleayre.

6. The Berkshires beat the Catskills, except for Hunter. Interesting. One would think that Plattekill/Belleayre or Windham beats Berkshire East/Jiminy Peak.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I ranked Pico higher than Killington on my list. That's not because I think it has better terrain or lifts. I just enjoy the overall vibe better there; fewer crowds, less attitude; better value......laid back.

I hope the interconnect never happens.

skiersleft

I ranked Pico higher than Killington on my list. That's not because I think it has better terrain or lifts. I just enjoy the overall vibe better there; fewer crowds, less attitude; better value......laid back.

I also love Pico's vibe, although I'm a fan of the interconnect. Would you rank K higher, lower or the same if the interconnect were built?

deadheadskier

Staff member
It would really depend on the interconnecting terrain. If they threw another Ramshead in between the two areas, meh. If they threw a bunch of classic winding trails and great glades, then I'd love it and i'd rank it higher.

4aprice

Random comments:

1. Pico had a very strong showing, as was already mentioned. Makes me wonder how Killington would score if they ever manage to build the interconnect. Will it translate into a much better showing or will it just take away from Pico and not add much to K's ranking amongst AZers?

2. Holiday Valley where it deserves at #48, notwithstanding its high rankings in Ski Mag.

3. Okemo at #21, losing to Gore, Loon, Stratton, Pico, Magic, Burker, etc. Once again, big difference with Ski Mag.

4. Strong showing for Gore at #16. As Adiron Rider pointed out, good showing for NY with Whiteface at #10, Gore at #16 and Hunter at #26.

5. Windham ranks last amongst the Catskill areas. It surprises me that it was beat by Belleayre.

6. The Berkshires beat the Catskills, except for Hunter. Interesting. One would think that Plattekill/Belleayre or Windham beats Berkshire East/Jiminy Peak.

Great Job SL. The Catskills are ranked just as I would/did rank them. Plattekill v B East, interesting. (Those two would make a good weekend)

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
Random comments:

IMO a that question would be moot.

If Killington and Pico are ever interconnected, that would likely mean that Pico no longer exists and everything operated under the Killington name (e.g. Glen Ellen being consumed by Sugarbush)?
In other words, Pico Mountain would become another trail pod of the Beast and Pico Ski Resort would cease to exist.

gmcunni

i don't ski Pico a lot but when i do, ^^ this.

xlr8r

Bump,

I still think this is the most definitive poll of ski resorts in New England. Does anyone know how to set up one of these Condorcet polls. It would be very interesting to do it over again and see how opinions have changed in the last 10 years

PAabe

I have set up Google surveys and Qualtrics but I don't know if I could pull off the complexity of what was done here :unsure:

PAabe

I found the Condorect jaun, seems like it could actually be set up pretty easily and free. Basically ranked-choice for those familiar with that but then pit each against each other as seen in the initial post in this thread.

Now the question is who gets included on the list? Every public lift-operated area in the East?

PAabe

Oh I see what they did last time they picked 50 so the poll isn't impossible but they also did one for each state:

jimk

Don't believe I participated in this poll. Definitely shows good taste in ski terrain by voters. Glaring outliers are Le Massif and MSA. I would rank those two in the top 15, possibly top 10 for Le Massif.

PAabe

well I copied and pasted the list directly from liftblog because I didn't feel like trying to type them all out and miss one... Ascutney apparently still has a T-bar and was on the list

Probably just need to list the major ones I guess