• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The show off your ride thread

Grassi21

Cannondale F5 - I only have 2 hours on this guy.

DSCN2248.JPG

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
A (not great) pic of my ride (which is temporarily a SS :lol:), 2005 Specialized Hardrock Sport from before the clipless pedals were added:
DSCN0666.sized.jpg

In the works are a new rear dereailleur (after trashing mine on Labor Day :oops:) and a bashguard. :D I'll also be taking off the trailer attachment on the back (for pulling the kids' bike trailer) and fixing up my *really* old 3 speed bike to use on rail trails instead of the Hardrock.

Last edited:

MR. evil

In the works are a new rear dereailleur (after trashing mine on Labor Day :oops:) and a bashguard. :D I'll also be taking off the trailer attachment on the back (for pulling the kids' bike trailer) and fixing up my *really* old 3 speed bike to use on rail trails instead of the Hardrock.

Are you sure your bike accept a Bash Guard? We were considering that same bike for Randi last year before she found the Marin and I remember that the chain rings on the Hardrock (the one we looked at anyway) were rivited to the crank arm and it could not take a bash guard. We ended up having the same issue with Randi's Marin. I had to upgrade her crank and bottom bracket to one that could take a bash guard.

edit: I just checked out the 2007 & 2008 Hardrock specs, both came with cranks that have removable chain rings. You should be all set

MR. evil

:idea: Seeing how Brain is putting a bash guard on your bike and also is replacing your rear der., was he smart enough to order a medium cage der instead of a long cage?

That way you would have better shifting, more clearance and less der. to get snagged on a branch......not like that could happen or anything

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
:idea: Seeing how Brain is putting a bash guard on your bike and also is replacing your rear der., was he smart enough to order a medium cage der instead of a long cage?

That way you would have better shifting, more clearance and less der. to get snagged on a branch......not like that could happen or anything
It figures...he ordered long cage. :oops: Will it make a big difference other than snagging branches? It's an upgrade from what I had, I know that much. He ordered a 2007 SRAM X.7.

MR. evil

It figures...he ordered long cage. :oops: Will it make a big difference other than snagging branches? It's an upgrade from what I had, I know that much. He ordered a 2007 SRAM X.7.

It also makes for better / quicker shifting. When my der dies I will replace it with a medium cage SRAM X7 or X9

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Looks like you were right, Tim. Brian just checked now (didn't check before ordering :oops:) and my crankset will not allow the bashguard. So either we have to upgrade that, like you did with Randi's bike... or I have to give up the idea. :-x

MR. evil

Looks like you were right, Tim. Brian just checked now (didn't check before ordering :oops:) and my crankset will not allow the bashguard. So either we have to upgrade that, like you did with Randi's bike... or I have to give up the idea. :-x

new cranks are not cheap! and you might also need a new BB. I would not upgrade until you trash the big ring on your existing crank and need to replace it.

Maybe Greg will take that Bash Guard off your hands, he has been talking about picking one up.

Greg

Staff member
Brian was thinking Greg would want to take it off our hands, too.

:(

Brian doesn't want it for his bike? Maybe. What did you pay for it? I actually needed the big ring today so I'm still torn.

Sorry for the hijack. I knew what the topic was supposed to be.. :roll: :razz:

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Brian doesn't want it for his bike? Maybe. What did you pay for it? I actually needed the big ring today so I'm still torn.

Sorry for the hijack. I knew what the topic was supposed to be.. :roll: :razz:
Brian bought one for his bike, too. $26.98 each.

Sorry for continuing the hijack... :oops:

bvibert

Staff member
Are you sure your bike accept a Bash Guard? We were considering that same bike for Randi last year before she found the Marin and I remember that the chain rings on the Hardrock (the one we looked at anyway) were rivited to the crank arm and it could not take a bash guard. We ended up having the same issue with Randi's Marin. I had to upgrade her crank and bottom bracket to one that could take a bash guard.

edit: I just checked out the 2007 & 2008 Hardrock specs, both came with cranks that have removable chain rings. You should be all set

I didn't have a chance to look at her bike before ordering, so I took a chance and ordered it anyway, figuring that someone around these parts would buy it from me if I couldn't use it.

I couldn't find a medium cage der at a good price, so I ordered the long cage anyway. It'll still work just fine. She just needs to stop running into sticks. ;)

eatskisleep

I run a Shimano SS Super Short Cage Road Derailleur on my Mountain Bike.