• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Therm-ic Boot Heater Installation

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
So I scored these Therm-ic boot heaters off Tramdock during the summer and when I went to install them, I wasn't happy with the stock footbeds. I got the elements that you can add to an existing footbed and I'm glad I waited.

Anyway, here's the pics I took.

My boots (Nordica Speed Machine 12)
IMG_0236.jpg

Removed the liner from the shell
IMG_0237.jpg

Superfeet Green footbed.
IMG_0238.jpg

Line the heating element up
IMG_0239.jpg

Mark my cut line
IMG_0240.jpg

Cut hole and stick wire through
IMG_0241.jpg

IMG_0242.jpg

Duct tape to secure the wire
IMG_0243.jpg

This covers the element. It has an adhesive backing.
IMG_0244.jpg

Trimmed to fit
IMG_0245.jpg

Cut a slit in the boot liner to stick the wire through
IMG_0246.jpg

I eventually, taped the wire up the back of the liner, and where the wire comes through but didn't get a pic of it.
IMG_0247.jpg

Finished!
IMG_0248.jpg

I did use them yesterday, but it was pretty in the mid-30's. Can't wait to try them for some night skiing soon!

wa-loaf

Nice, good work. I'd only say you cut too big and too high of a hole in the liner.

Philpug

I just installed Hot Tronics M4's in my boots this season. They are very nice and am glad that I did so far.

Glenn

Looks good Root! I used the flat food beds that came with the heaters. They actually work just fine for me so far. They are rather flat though and I had my doubts.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
Nice, good work. I'd only say you cut too big and too high of a hole in the liner.
Too big, maybe. I'm comfortable with where on the liner I cut the hole however, as it doesn't add any tight radius bends to the wires.

What didn't you like about the original footbeds?
They were really flat and I pronate. My podiatrist had recommended the Superfeet's to me as an alternative to getting custom orthotics done.

And what keeps the liner from tearing more when you put the on and take it off?

A healthy covering of duct tape.

Looks good Root! I used the flat food beds that came with the heaters. They actually work just fine for me so far. They are rather flat though and I had my doubts.

Thanks. They are going to get a good trial tonight.

Beetlenut

Used mine at Mt Snow last Wednesday when I think the temps didn't get above 12 degrees all day. Can't beat warm feet! This is the second season I've had them in my boots, and it was a good investment!

Mildcat

Nice idea taking pictures and posting a how-to Root. When I installed some Hotronics in my older boots the directions said not to duct tape the wires directly to the liner because when you flex the boot it will tug on the wires possibly damaging them. It said to tear a piece of tape lengthwise in half and stick the half down the center of a full piece (sticky side to sticky side). That will allow the wires to slide when the boot is flexed.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
Where does everyone have their power packs mounted? The best place I could figure out was on the instep side of the boot, attached to the velcro (part of the) power strap.

wa-loaf

Where does everyone have their power packs mounted? The best place I could figure out was on the instep side of the boot, attached to the velcro (part of the) power strap.

I think most folks clip them to the back of the cuff, it's the least likely place to get hit by something and ripped off.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
So here's a question... do these distort custom footbeds? I wasn't in the market for boot heaters but with how cold my toes got yesterday, it may be a consideration. However, I have custom footbeds and after all the time and money put into that, I don't want to do anything that would screw them up.

Root, BTW, nice job!

Beetlenut

I use to mount them on the side of my boot, but every now and then, one of them would turn off from me hitting it against something. This off season I noticed extension wires for sale at my ski shop. This allowed me to mount the battery packs on my pants waist. Keeps them warmer and easily accessible during the ski day. I'm thinking the wires running down the back of my ski pants must give off some marginal heat too!

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
So here's a question... do these distort custom footbeds? I wasn't in the market for boot heaters but with how cold my toes got yesterday, it may be a consideration. However, I have custom footbeds and after all the time and money put into that, I don't want to do anything that would screw them up.

Root, BTW, nice job!
Thanks.

I would say no, but you do need to cut a slit in to them, and your boot liner.

Beetlenut

Root, BTW, nice job!

I installed mine into some custom footbeds. As long as you take your time and do it right, all they do is make you custom footbeds warmer. I should point out that when using the heaters in really cold weather, your feet aren't going to be wicked warm. They're just not going to be cold. The heat that these heaters put out, pretty much just cancel out the cold around your toes. Although you can feel the heat on a 25+ degree day, or at home in your living room.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
Quick update (sorry for the crappy cell pics, battery is charging on the Canon) -

Added a "conduit" on the liner for the wire (thanks for the suggestion Mildcat).
IMG00619.jpg

Used a couple of wire ties to make a bracket on the back of the boot.
IMG00618.jpg

IMG00617.jpg

IMG00620.jpg

It's on there pretty solid.
IMG00622.jpg

bigbog

If the back of your boots end up taking hits often....outer-side of cuff(on both) always worked(being a non-night-gates crasher)..or one boot inner..the other outer.

$.01 guess.