• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Today's Burlington Free Press Editorial on Ski Rescues

sledhaulingmedic

Put the article in context: The NSAA is responding to a segment of the population who feel the costs should be solely the responsability of the ski resorts. You can bet your bottom dollar the the NSAA know exactly what the financial impact of the OB gates are. This is not trolling for skier visits. This is PR damage control.

As for costs, $7000 for a SAR mission (especially one involving aircaraft, whether fixed wing or Helo) is not far fetched.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
$7k sounds solid for a heli resque. what would be the average cost of a land SAR with no aviation assistance? is that rare that SAR doesn't have aerial assistance?

bvibert

Staff member
uphillklimber said:
When I clicked on the link I found a scandal involving hospital money?????

I have very definate opinions about emergency rescues. If a person is qualified and equiped and runs into bad luck, I feel that is why the rescue service exists. I also feel that since there is always someone on duty, and you gotta pay them for sitting in the shack or for rescues, I don't feel a ligit rescue should be billed. Even if you have to call in a helocopter. Every (military) flight is listed as either a mission or training flight. Turning those training flights into a rescue mission, actually costs nothing. The pilots have to fly "X" hours each month anyways. They can just burn the fuel flying around, or burn the fuel doing a rescue. On top of that, these pilots love flying, that's why they are pilots.

Now for the idiot who grabs his cell phone, hasn't even got a backpack, and klimbs Mt. Washington and calls for a rescue when he gets tired :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: Bill that guy for taking a rescue person away from the shack when he should be standing by for a ligit rescue.

I think I agree mostly with everything you said, but where do you draw the line between prepared and unprepared people, who makes the call?

ctenidae

Good question- who makes the call? Maybe the rescuers themselves. They get a first-hand look at the conditions and a close read on the people. Better than a bean counter in the back office, anyway. Plus, if the rescuees aren't nice and grateful, they'll learn a lesson in civility the hard way.

thetrailboss

Staff member
As pointed out, please click on the "archives" link on the page when you open it...the article appeared in TUESDAY'S Burlington (VT) Free Press.

dmc

I have lots of friends on Ski Patrol... They are more likely to chase down someone over their head on a closed trail then someone who looks like they know what they are doing...
Stuff happens... The world is in chaos.. You can do all the snow tests there are and an avalanche can STILL happen... Some very experienced people have gotten killed in our own backyard(Mt Washington).. I've been to Tucks a ton of times and something always happens that I can't control..

Forest Rangers/Rescue are paid to rescue people.... They don't get pissed unless your doing something really stupid.. Like being unprepared - or going against their advice...

I was leaving the bowl a few years ago at Tucks.. This guy comes up to me and asks about skiing the little Headwall down to Hojos... I told him not to because it was REALLY undermind... The guy went anyway.. Fell - and his ski went right into a little crevasse... the dude goes to get his ski and falls in... Get's sucked UNDER the snow and pops out a couple meters away from another hole...
He climbs out goes back up and tries again... And FELL IN AGAIN!!!....
We watched him pop up again and climb out and left...
If it was someone who was skiing and slide into a crevasse- I probably would've climbed down and helped - but this guy chose to be an idiot... I just stood and watched...

sledhaulingmedic

There do seem to be a few mis-perceptions about SAR ops in New England. While I won't claim to be an authority on SAR, I can speak from some experience.

While SAR operations are generally coordinated by paid law enforcement agencies (VT State Police SAR and NH Fish and Game, as examples), they do not have teams waiting on standby for someone to need there services. They have offiicers who specialize in SAR who generally have other day to day duties. When a SAR op begin, they establish the command structure and manage the incident. Depending on the nature of the incident, many different agencies may get involved.

For the typical lost skier incident, the area's patrol will be involved, local and state law enforcement and generally, a significant number of members of Volunteer SAR groups. Air support is very common and may come from law enforcement, Military, some commercial aviation and even private volunteers, such as Civil Air Patrol members. Often, relief agencies, such as the Red Cross or Salvation army will provide supplies, logistical support. (Talk about selflessly giving: How about staying up all night making PB&J's and carting coffee for volunteer searchers?

One search and (ultimately) recovery effort I was on a few years ago at the command post there were about 12 law enforcement agents and nearly one hundred volunteers. A the time, there were no military helo's evailable and two Helo's came in from NY.

Someone earlier mentioned that all military flights are either Missions or training. They still cost money, even if it is previously budgeted. Law enforcement Helos are likely accounted for in the same manor, but still, just because it's budgeted doesn't make it free. You can further run into situations where the operations keep a crew out beyond their normal schedule, now you're into an overtime situation. (Paid ski patrollers generally punch out after sweep. The go into OT if they get held for a SAR op.)

So, as far as costs:

You have law enforcement that is paid to be around for SAR ops. Include that cost? Probably not. If they get taken into OT? I'd include that.

Helo? Here a sticky one. I'll buy the idea that air recon can be a training mission, but put it into the actually rescue operations and yes. It's a direct cost. (I still can't say it's free.)

Anyone carried into OT. THat's a direct cost. (10 patrollers for 8 hours at $12/hr OT: $960.00)

Mileage/vehicle cost (cars, sno/moes, cats, tanks, whatever) whether for paid orvolunteer personnel all count. (100 volunteers travel 50 miles each @ $0.33/mile = $1666.66)

The cost can hit a couple grand pretty fast.

Now, as for stupid and just bum luck. It seems that most everyone agrees this is subjective. (To a non-skier, skiing OB is "Stupid") The decision is going to be made (like it or not) by the Agency having juristiction. A very important part of searching for someone is learning everything you can about who you're searching for. I can say from my limited experience with VSP SAR and NH F&G that they're pretty good at what they do and they are very good judges as to whether someone was in over their head.

I can't say that I've read any reports over the last several years where there was a major, published SAR operationa and the subject(s) hadn't made numerous serious mistakes. Lots of people ski OB or BC (including many that probably shouldn't (or at least not in the manor that they did)), but only a few get into trouble. Out of those few, I just don't see a lot of experienced, well equiped and prepared GROUPS getting into trouble

Maybe just basic cost recovery from people that just had "bad Luck" and an added punitive "Stupidity fee" for the gapers in blue jeans that went without skills, equipment, preparation or even a clue, OB and needed to get their butts hauled back to safety?
Just my $0.02