• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Two BC "adventures" 1/17 and 1/18

Jisch

Saturday (1/17) my wife and I went up to Bigelow Hollow to repeat a tour we did a few weeks ago. Conditions were excellent. About half of the fire roads were packed powder from all the quad and snowmobile traffic, while this made for some fast gliding, it wasn't exactly a nice smooth ride. We popped out onto Breakneck Pond and skied the length of it. It was a bit sobering just how long it took to ski that when it's so quick to ride a mountain bike along the shore. We found some excellent hills on the far side of Breakneck and we lapped a bunch of them. Off the trails it was 2-3" of powder on top of a hard packed surface. Turning was a dream. We came down a particularly steep fireroad on the way back, unfortunately the cover was pretty light and our skis took a few hits from rocks sticking up. Just moving too fast to avoid them. We got back to the cars after 3 or so hours - all in all a very good outing.

Saturday night we picked up 3" of light powder.

Sunday (1/18) I had daughter transport duties so it looked like there would be no skiing for me. I caught a break with the scheduling and I got 1.5 hours of free time when she was sledding with friends. I booked over to the local town park and got in some skiing. I basically skied to the back of the park where I knew there was some decent hillage. I lapped the hill 5 or 6 times doing some serious high speed turns in the woods. Despite the fact that I was alone, I let out a few "whoops" as I executed crazy high speed turns to shoot down chutes, between trees, logs, rocks etc. The snow was really good for turning, but was actually a bit sticky when I was climbing. I feel like the combination of downhill and BC is getting me a lot more comfortable on the BC skis, I used a combo of parallel and tele turns to make my way down the hills. I'd be lying if I said the snowplow didn't come out a few times to scrub off speed as well. Great time, I only wished I had more time to enjoy it.

I was a bit concerned that I'd get to Bromley on Monday with noodles for legs, but it worked out fine. I guess that "off season" mountain biking does an ok job of keeping the legs in shape!

John

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Nice.... I ride at Bigelow often in the summer... what kind of skis did you use in there, XC setup? Did you get over to Mashpaug?

I'm originally from Woodstock if you're wondering.

Jisch

Me too...

Yeah, I love riding Bigelow - some really great trails in there (some really horrible ones as well!). I wonder if I've seen you out there?

We stayed on the Breakneck side during our ski this weekend. I have a plan for a real BC adventure out there, but I'm not sure my wife could handle the climb (or descent for that matter!). Maybe I'll head out there solo this weekend. Thinking there should be some great skiing from the top of the Cat Rocks...

My wife is on my old Karhu Kodiaks which are 195cm skis, they are straight and have metal edges about 3/4's of the way, so sort of in between XC and BC skis. She wears a leather 3 pin boot. I have been trying to get her to go into EMS and get some newer, lighter skis, but she's happy on these so I guess I'll let it go.

I have Karhu Catamounts, 175cm, shaped ski with full metal edges. I have "fusion" boots which are leather on the bottom and plastic with buckles on top. I have Voile 3 pin cable bindings. Honestly that set up is probably a bit much for when I'm out with the wife, but works great for the steeper stuff. I have skins, but haven't used them except the rare occassions when I've been up in the Adirondacks. I'm sure my stuff could use updating as well, but I'm lucky to get a day or two per year (this year has been better than the last 5 combined!) so I can't see spending the money. Maybe once the kids are out of the house and I have more time for travel up north, I'll invest in newer gear.

John

JD

Website
hotmail.com
Saturday (1/17) my wife and I went up to Bigelow Hollow to repeat a tour we did a few weeks ago. Conditions were excellent. About half of the fire roads were packed powder from all the quad and snowmobile traffic, while this made for some fast gliding, it wasn't exactly a nice smooth ride. We popped out onto Breakneck Pond and skied the length of it. It was a bit sobering just how long it took to ski that when it's so quick to ride a mountain bike along the shore. We found some excellent hills on the far side of Breakneck and we lapped a bunch of them. Off the trails it was 2-3" of powder on top of a hard packed surface. Turning was a dream. We came down a particularly steep fireroad on the way back, unfortunately the cover was pretty light and our skis took a few hits from rocks sticking up. Just moving too fast to avoid them. We got back to the cars after 3 or so hours - all in all a very good outing.

Saturday night we picked up 3" of light powder.

Sunday (1/18) I had daughter transport duties so it looked like there would be no skiing for me. I caught a break with the scheduling and I got 1.5 hours of free time when she was sledding with friends. I booked over to the local town park and got in some skiing. I basically skied to the back of the park where I knew there was some decent hillage. I lapped the hill 5 or 6 times doing some serious high speed turns in the woods. Despite the fact that I was alone, I let out a few "whoops" as I executed crazy high speed turns to shoot down chutes, between trees, logs, rocks etc. The snow was really good for turning, but was actually a bit sticky when I was climbing. I feel like the combination of downhill and BC is getting me a lot more comfortable on the BC skis, I used a combo of parallel and tele turns to make my way down the hills. I'd be lying if I said the snowplow didn't come out a few times to scrub off speed as well. Great time, I only wished I had more time to enjoy it.

I was a bit concerned that I'd get to Bromley on Monday with noodles for legs, but it worked out fine. I guess that "off season" mountain biking does an ok job of keeping the legs in shape!

John

What kind of skis are you using?

Jisch

From above

What kind of skis are you using?

I have Karhu Catamounts, 175cm, shaped ski with full metal edges. I have "fusion" boots which are leather on the bottom and plastic with buckles on top. I have Voile 3 pin cable bindings. Honestly that set up is probably a bit much for when I'm out with the wife, but works great for the steeper stuff. I have skins, but haven't used them except the rare occassions when I've been up in the Adirondacks. I'm sure my stuff could use updating as well, but I'm lucky to get a day or two per year (this year has been better than the last 5 combined!) so I can't see spending the money. Maybe once the kids are out of the house and I have more time for travel up north, I'll invest in newer gear.

John