• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Un-Official Feb 17-18 storm thread

Grassi21

1-2 inches expected here in Pennsyltucky..I enjoy skiing in the rain though..fast snow..and soft as well..a good combination..and then when it freezes up..it's even faster..

sick puppy. you should be out skiing today instead of bantering on this list!

i enjoy it as well. i'm opting to ski tomorrow in the rain with hopefully less people than today. not to mention with less crowds i can straight line it to the bumps that will be softened up by the nair.

Grassi21

i enjoy it as well. i'm opting to ski tomorrow in the rain with hopefully less people than today. not to mention with less crowds i can straight line it to the bumps that will be softened up by the nair.

crap, did i just agree with gss?

It's not ice unless you can see your reflection..edgeable hardpack is nice..

Liftlines today at Blue were really short but I peaced out at 10:30AM after 18 runs and 18,900 vert..

tcharron

This is looking more and more like a R*#N maker. Just as we're coming back into great base depths again, Mom nature has to step in and snatch it all away :x
Have we been naughty or is she mad at Ullr?

Hrm, looking like the rain may be minimal. Icy mix is not as teh suk. :)

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
egads. I just walked outside to get the paper, temp is 58 and the snow piles are steaming... I'll get the lawn chair out , put on my hip-waders and read the paper outside in my jammies:sad:
Bad scene. hope it hurries up and gets out of here. I can ski on spring snow, I can ski on powder, but skiing on eastern ice is no fun.

KingM

Website
www.goldenlionriversideinn.com
The good news from the north country is that it hasn't been much more than drizzles and I haven't seen any snowpack loss or even much melt off the roof and the rain looks like it's just about gone. There is fog, unfortunately, but it looks like we'll be back before freezing this afternoon or early evening.

It will be frozen until we get some more snow, but it looks like we avoided damage to the base.

loafer89

It's raining all the way to the Canadian Border in Caribou Maine. Berlin was -7F yesterday morning and today it's 36F and raining:blink:

All of our snow here vanished overnight:-(

Greg

Staff member
The good news from the north country is that it hasn't been much more than drizzles and I haven't seen any snowpack loss or even much melt off the roof and the rain looks like it's just about gone. There is fog, unfortunately, but it looks like we'll be back before freezing this afternoon or early evening.

It will be frozen until we get some more snow, but it looks like we avoided damage to the base.

Good to hear. We go back to winter tomorrow. Sounds like minimal base loss, so let's just hope for some surface refreshing snow soon.

loafer89

There is no shortage of base in Maine as the snow at the sides of the road in Bethel are amazingly high for mid-February:

Deepsnow-1.jpg

Here in eastern PA..it rained all night and right now it's 60 degrees...the good thing for those up north with a snowpack is that the snowpack will get more solid when the snow freezes back up later today..which will give it a better chance of lasting through April and maybe into May:spread:

loafer89

Warren and I where playing around in the snow at the summit of OZ yesterday when I sank down into the snow nearly to my waist and I am 6' tall:

DeepsnowatthetopofOZ.jpg

loafer89

Dazzler at the summit of Saddleback with about 10' of base:

Dazzlerdeepsnow.jpg

Pole plants dissapeared past my elbow:-o

skimore

the good thing for those up north with a snowpack is that the snowpack will get more solid when the snow freezes back up later today..which will give it a better chance of lasting through April and maybe into May:spread:

there is nothing good about the snow freezing solid