• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

VAIL SUCKS

djd66

It should cost that, but there should be limitations on the number of people occupying the dwelling. As mentioned prior, this is common practice in numerous college towns as a response to scumbag landlords over packing rental units.

It's called common decency
I actually don't disagree with what you said in your first sentence. I read the full article - it never mentioned anything about a landlord that forced these kids to rent the condo. I would assume it was the kids that chose to rent an expensive property and pack a ton of people in there to save money.

Quite honestly, I question if the article was even true. Neighbors and management would definitely notice if 12 people were living in a 1 bedroom.

deadheadskier

Staff member
The only person who would buy that line of bullshit is someone who has never had a medical bill.

Stay ignorant about healthcare costs and finances. An Anesthesia machine works out to about $15 cost per case over the life of the equipment. $15 in equipment costs to keep you alive through a surgery. What a damn rip off!!!

Speaking of rent, why do you continue to let me live rent free in your dome big fella? Ever since you moved back to the East and started posting more regularly, like half your damn posts are either quoting or mentioning me. Kinda creepy and pathetic.

Continue on if you must, but it's a poor look pal.

zyk

Wow this thread devolved into something giving off how the other half lives vibes. 133 years later and some things (landlords... In many cases) haven't changed.

And yes snow! Lots of it! But not before I get more firewood inside.

Kingslug20

Not sure how it works..but park city has 7300 acres...no room for employee housing?.
Anywhere?? For one of the biggest resorts in the country?
They sure are building condos all over the place though..

jimmywilson69

In case anyone was wondering Vail is actually showing Stowe and Okemo as sold out for lift tickets this Saturday 2/11 as well as Okemo on 2/25.

Mt snow is not showing any sold out days. Stowe is blacked out for Local pass 2/18-19.

I guess they are limiting tickets. At what level who knows...

cdskier

In case anyone was wondering Vail is actually showing Stowe and Okemo as sold out for lift tickets this Saturday 2/11 as well as Okemo on 2/25.

Mt snow is not showing any sold out days. Stowe is blacked out for Local pass 2/18-19.

I guess they are limiting tickets. At what level who knows...
What's so special about this Saturday? Warm up followed by a freeze doesn't exactly sound ideal to me. Then again, maybe Stowe and Okemo are always sold out for Saturday by Thursday night. So this could be normal.

kendo

Not sure how it works..but park city has 7300 acres...no room for employee housing?.
Anywhere?? For one of the biggest resorts in the country?
They sure are building condos all over the place though..
Agreed, but pick any plot of land and some enviro-group will find big horn sheep dung, elk tracks or a spotted ant colony to tie you up in litigation for the next decade.

hardscrabble

Agreed, but pick any plot of land and some enviro-group will find big horn sheep dung, elk tracks or a spotted ant colony to tie you up in litigation for the next decade.
At least in the case of the Vail/sheep debacle, it sounds like the town offered a few other sites and VR said no to all of them. My uninformed take is that VR probably figures that years of litigation on the issue would be cheaper in the short term than actually building and maintaining the facility. Might explain their refusal to budge.

drjeff

And yet if the state or federal government wanted to come in and build say a Federally Qualified Healthcenter or some type of homeless shelter/halfway house on a similar piece of land, often the P&Z committee looks the other way and those proposals sail right through. Definitely not saying that those types of facilities aren't important (they are for sure!) however the hypocrisy at times when one project from a private entity that would benefit the "underserved" (very broad term there for sure) is looked at in a vastly different light than a government backed project that would also benefit the "underserved" you've got a problem.

I am sure that there are about 1001 examples of similar instances where who is proposing something or the political ideology of someone doing the proposing often becomes more important to the entity that has the ability to approve or deny a project than the benefit to the community that the project would bring. Not say that any and all projects should get a rubber stamp approval, that would create some problems for sure, however any board that has the ability to approve or deny something should also have the ability to put their personal biases aside and make a judgement on the project on it's own merits, and that unfortunately isn't happening on many fronts these days

jimmywilson69

What's so special about this Saturday? Warm up followed by a freeze doesn't exactly sound ideal to me. Then again, maybe Stowe and Okemo are always sold out for Saturday by Thursday night. So this could be normal.

I don't know. I was thinking that the epic day passes are likely blacked out next weekend. I haven't noticed Stowe being sold out all year.

skiur

It's Superbowl weekend which normally has a low turnout of skiers, even without any NY or NE teams in the game, if any weekends were sold out you wouldn't expect it to be this weekend.

AdironRider

With blackout dates on megapasses you often see much higher visitation the weekends before and after blacked out holiday periods as people won't get to ski for two weeks while their pass is blacked out.

Really noticed it in Jackson with the Ikon. Presidents week was much more enjoyable as you needed a full Jackson pass or buy a full price day ticket to ski. Then the following weekend was always a junk show as the Ikon hordes showed back up.

cdskier

It's Superbowl weekend which normally has a low turnout of skiers, even without any NY or NE teams in the game, if any weekends were sold out you wouldn't expect it to be this weekend.

Yea...I wonder if that is now offset by the fact that SB weekend is the weekend prior to a holiday weekend (with blackouts for some people). In the past the SB was earlier so didn't fall right before President's weekend.

FWIW, there seems to be more cars in my condo parking lot at Sugarbush today than you would see on a typical Friday.

KustyTheKlown

With blackout dates on megapasses you often see much higher visitation the weekends before and after blacked out holiday periods as people won't get to ski for two weeks while their pass is blacked out.

Really noticed it in Jackson with the Ikon. Presidents week was much more enjoyable as you needed a full Jackson pass or buy a full price day ticket to ski. Then the following weekend was always a junk show as the Ikon hordes showed back up.

this was my rationale for skiing jackson next saturday thru tuesday. i figure the holiday weekend may actually be less busy than a typical weekend. and by tuesday it should be a ghost town. then i'll be mid-week sun valley. then pow mow for a saturday - again a strategic choice as they actively regulate capacity. then trying snowbasin for the first time on Sunday. then pow mow and Snowbasin each once more. then finishing with very intentional Wednesday and Thursday at alta bird, which i expect to be quiet unless they are pow days. i could audible to any ikon so bcc and dv are in play too i guess. i am so stoked.