• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

VAIL SUCKS

ThatGuy

I'm sure that it had nothing to do with the lousy weather...
At Mount Snow I was lucky to catch Ripcord open 2 times out of my 20+ days there…now that sucks
(They had it closed after 4’ of snow so coverage isn’t the reason)
Also have had Ledges, Uncles, and Olympic closed for no reason as well…
I think Vail just hates ungroomed terrain

jimmywilson69

Strange... It sure seems odd that this would come from the top (i.e. Broomfield) I mean there are more acres of ungroomed terrain in the back bowls at Vail than there probably are combined of all of the terrain at Mount Snow, Okemo, Attitash and Sunapee

drjeff

My take on Epic Mix............you download it on your phone and hit the slopes. Vail tracks everywhere you go, so X Mtn has just spent X amount of money for snowmaking on X trail. Vail looks to see just how many skiers actually skied that trail in X amount of days as compared to other trails. Boom!!!! limit snowmaking and opening of the less popular trails, continue snowmaking on the more popular trails. Did you notice that the Double Diamond trails were limited this year. Easier trails less chance of being sued due to shitty grooming and lousy snowmaking.
Thinking the number of times mother nature decided to be warm and liquidy from just before Christmas through early February, requiring resurfacing efforts and targeted expansion to trails that get more use from the holiday masses than double diamonds, also factored into the limited double diamond snowmaking efforts this year.

Heck, don't forget for comparison, that basically nobody is saying the even the mighty Killington has as much snow on Superstar as they typically do this season

ThatGuy

Strange... It sure seems odd that this would come from the top (i.e. Broomfield) I mean there are more acres of ungroomed terrain in the back bowls at Vail than there probably are combined of all of the terrain at Mount Snow, Okemo, Attitash and Sunapee
I think its more lack of patrol or something along those lines, weekends may be a different story

drjeff

At Mount Snow I was lucky to catch Ripcord open 2 times out of my 20+ days there…now that sucks
(They had it closed after 4’ of snow so coverage isn’t the reason)
Also have had Ledges, Uncles, and Olympic closed for no reason as well…
I think Vail just hates ungroomed terrain
I am curious as well why they chose to keep ropes up on many acres of ungroomed, natural snow terrain the last few weeks.... I can see keeping it closed for a few hours in the AM until it softens, but compared to what I have seen at Okemo and Stowe the last few days, the Mount Snow ropes up decisions recently has me perplexed a bit....

ThatGuy

I am curious as well why they chose to keep ropes up on many acres of ungroomed, natural snow terrain the last few weeks.... I can see keeping it closed for a few hours in the AM until it softens, but compared to what I have seen at Okemo and Stowe the last few days, the Mount Snow ropes up decisions recently has me perplexed a bit....
Seems like they put the ropes up and said f-it they’re closed for the season now.
Its perplexing because the coverage is better than most times the trails are open…

MadKitty

If you were a part time ski instructor making like 10 or whatever an hour, with reciprocal skiing at places like places like Wisp, and overnight you go to making double that and get free skiing at Whistler, Crested Butte, Breck and Vail, you aren't going to complain.

Ski resorts churn employees. That was the case before Vail, and will be long after there supposed implosion. News at 11.
Part time ski instructors do it for fun/fulfillment. Even making 20/hr most weekenders will end up spending more on gear, travel etc. than they end up earning. The number of instructors at wildcat is down significantly since the Vail takeover. Wonder why...

machski

Seems like they put the ropes up and said f-it they’re closed for the season now.
Its perplexing because the coverage is better than most times the trails are open…
I can only speak to SR, but I know some of our glades get roped off not because there isn't enough snow but because of their proximity known bear dens in the spring.

Mainer

I heard they are not opening the upstairs bar for wildcats final weekend. That place is usually packed to the gills.

2Planker

I heard they are not opening the upstairs bar for wildcats final weekend. That place is usually packed to the gills.
Heard that too.
SAD, but at this point.... What do you expect ?

The PBR dude will have another $$$ weekend :)

catskillman

Importance of the Guest Experience

Skiing is all about the hospitality and service industry, and Vail understands that. Vail Resort’s business model reveals it is not much different than other models within the hospitality and service industry. However, Vail Resorts has important objectives when looking at the future. It is focused on: retaining its current guests, providing them with the best guest services in the industry, creating and developing first-time-guest opportunities, mitigating waste and maximizing resources, setting objectives and goals for the future, ensuring profitability and return on investments, and investing in their guests, employees and resorts moving forward.

Seriously - excerted from the below link

jaytrem

That's odd. Seems like they were always pretty good about getting and leaving stuff open. Quite the bummer.

2Planker

Importance of the Guest Experience

Skiing is all about the hospitality and service industry, and Vail understands that. Vail Resort’s business model reveals it is not much different than other models within the hospitality and service industry. However, Vail Resorts has important objectives when looking at the future. It is focused on: retaining its current guests, providing them with the best guest services in the industry, creating and developing first-time-guest opportunities, mitigating waste and maximizing resources, setting objectives and goals for the future, ensuring profitability and return on investments, and investing in their guests, employees and resorts moving forward.

Seriously - excerted from the below link

Come to Wildcat where the toilets are beyond disgusting and usually back up and overflowing..
The bar is closed and the food is way over priced and stone cold.

BUT Yes it is the Vail Experience, ENJOY :)

doublediamond

Olympic tends to get extremely bad ice flows on the top in low tide situations with thaw-freezes.

I’m honestly surprised Olympic never got snowmaking back in the day simply for how bad those ledges/springs/whatever on that top 25% of the trail.

ThatGuy

Olympic tends to get extremely bad ice flows on the top in low tide situations with thaw-freezes.
Thats only the top part (which I have gone through the woods and skied plenty of times) once you get to the Fallen Timbers entrance the trail is fine…no excuses
The closures at Mount Snow this season have been baffling this whole winter as a midweek skier

drjeff

I’m honestly surprised Olympic never got snowmaking back in the day simply for how bad those ledges/springs/whatever on that top 25% of the trail.
It's on the "next 5 or 6 things to do" list as I understand it. ..