• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

VAIL SUCKS

drjeff

What were last years prices?
Per a really detailed e-mail that Stuart Winchester of the Storm Skiing Podcast sent out to subscribers this morning about the Epic pass annoucement. The Full Epic last year was $909 - up to $982 this year, and the Epic Local was $676 last year, up to $731 this year, which Stuart said is roughly an 8% increase, and the passes are finally more expensive than they were in the "19-20 season, after which due to the COVID sitaution they dropped them 20% for the "20-21 season, and they've been slowly creaping up the last few years. If I recall correctly there wasn't an increase for the "21-'22 season

thetrailboss

Staff member
Per a really detailed e-mail that Stuart Winchester of the Storm Skiing Podcast sent out to subscribers this morning about the Epic pass annoucement. The Full Epic last year was $909 - up to $982 this year, and the Epic Local was $676 last year, up to $731 this year, which Stuart said is roughly an 8% increase, and the passes are finally more expensive than they were in the "19-20 season, after which due to the COVID sitaution they dropped them 20% for the "20-21 season, and they've been slowly creaping up the last few years. If I recall correctly there wasn't an increase for the "21-'22 season
"Yep, as I have said, an absolute EPIC value. Act now, supply is limited. My operators are standing by!"

rob_katz_ceo_vail_resorts_011.jpg

chuckstah

$561 for the Veterans pass. What to do, what to do...
I think I'm going with the Northeast midweek. I have the Full Northeast this year, and skied 2 weekend days. That's two more than I should have. $450.

Smellytele

PAabe

Epic 👍

Kind of confused by the article, it says ticket revenue, f&b, ancillary revenue are up, but income is down? While at the same time saying pass sales helped in what they are saying is a bad winter (Didn't think it's been as bad as many...), and passes weren't sold last quarter anyway I wouldn't think. Snowmaking would affect profit but not income... what am I missing

Personally have not given a cent to Vail in years

chuckstah

Outside of Stowe, I haven't waited in a line yet this season at a Vail resort. Visits are definitely way down in New England. On the fence renewing for next season, but I'll probably give in and renew with a downgrade. Still on track for not spending a dime beyond the pass. I'm sure the NH snow making budget will suck. Again. But I don't think it could get worse? Wishful thinking maybe? I think we will see sub $200 stock price when the next financials are released if not sooner.

drjeff

Epic 👍

Kind of confused by the article, it says ticket revenue, f&b, ancillary revenue are up, but income is down? While at the same time saying pass sales helped in what they are saying is a bad winter (Didn't think it's been as bad as many...), and passes weren't sold last quarter anyway I wouldn't think. Snowmaking would affect profit but not income... what am I missing

More people bought the pass, and when they went, spent a bunch of $$.

The weather presented a challenge, especially on the Eastern 1/2 of the Country and even early season out West, which likely contributed to the decrease in total skier/rider visits year to date over last year.

Less people showing up spending more $$ when they did, might be viewed as a win by the folks out in Broomfield

kingslug

Park city has a rep for being insanely crowded...it's not this season.
Compared to the insane lines at other resorts.
And I'm sure it's a pretty big revenue generator...

cdskier

Epic 👍

The article doesn't say income is down. Actually it is up compared to the same quarter last year (from Vail's own press release: "Net income attributable to Vail Resorts, Inc. was $219.3 million for the second fiscal quarter of 2024 compared to net income attributable to Vail Resorts, Inc. of $208.7 million in the same period in the prior year.")

However they did lower their forecast for income for the year likely due to concerns about visits being down and the increase income not sustaining over the rest of the season. (Note the current quarter results only run through the end of January).

There are also some interesting spins on things. Dining was down .5% and Retail/Rental were down just over 9%, yet they spun it as both having seen "growth" because the spending in those categories per visit was up. So there were less people visiting, but each person was spending more per visit. Ultimately their goal is to increase ancillary spending per visit which would eventually result in overall increases in income in those categories IF the visits meet expectations.

Edd

Park city has a rep for being insanely crowded...it's not this season.
Compared to the insane lines at other resorts.
And I'm sure it's a pretty big revenue generator...
That’s very funny, I spoke with a Bretton Woods regular yesterday who went to Park City a few weeks ago and said it was so insanely crowded he could barely stand it. Not a holiday week.