• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

VAIL SUCKS

crippity

Wow, interesting. So we learned that once your ticket is scanned its not marked/flagged as checked in? I thought it was? I guess it is but doesn't set off a warning if used again? What other scenarios are there? Plotting for future plans...........

2Planker

thetrailboss

Staff member
Wow, interesting. So we learned that once your ticket is scanned its not marked/flagged as checked in? I thought it was? I guess it is but doesn't set off a warning if used again? What other scenarios are there? Plotting for future plans...........
Yeah, that surprised me as well.

BenedictGomez

Wow, interesting. So we learned that once your ticket is scanned its not marked/flagged as checked in? I thought it was?

That, and how did the second (i.e. real) person who had that boarding pass get on the flight? You'd think it would recognize the duplication.

This guy works for AAPL, so he's got a nicely paying job, wonder if he gets fired.

djd66

While no one on this or any other ski forum is the target audience for this program, I really can't believe they think this is something that is going to make them money...

https://www.myepicgear.com/membership/pricing.aspx
I actually could see using this. $45/day to ski on new premium demo type skis is very reasonable compared to rentals. I’m just thinking about the cost of transporting skis if you are going on a 5 day trip

Former Sunday Rivah Rat

I actually could see using this. $45/day to ski on new premium demo type skis is very reasonable compared to rentals. I’m just thinking about the cost of transporting skis if you are going on a 5 day trip
Don't do it. We made the mistake of renting demo ski's for a 5 day trip to Park city thinking the same thing, with the Epic pass discount we thought it made sense.
They had a poor selection and were pretty beat up. Worst part is that that they had no clue how to tune ski's. I wanted my own ski's all week.

abc

Don't do it. We made the mistake of renting demo ski's for a 5 day trip to Park city thinking the same thing, with the Epic pass discount we thought it made sense.
They had a poor selection and were pretty beat up. Worst part is that that they had no clue how to tune ski's. I wanted my own ski's all week.
If you can help it, don’t get vegetarian dishes in a steak (or seafood) restaurant. It‘s just not their core business. They don’t do it well, if only due to lack of practice.

BenedictGomez

Ski rentals is another thing Vail's artificially jacked the price of. $72/day, just for the skis (no boots)! Complete insanity versus a local shop.

Learned this the other day when I forgot my skis (thought they were in the Thule) and debated going home & back or just paying what I thought would be something like $30 or $35 for a non-performance pair.

BenedictGomez

LOL I'm not even sure if ski rental has been $30 or $35 anywhere in the last 15 years or more...

That is........ inaccurate.

I just Googled two popular local places, without an exhaustive search, literally just the first two I clicked on, and it's $30.44 and $35.96 per day. I presume all the other non-Vail places will be $30 - $40 or so as well.

Hell, I put my daughter in an "Entire Childhood" package this season. It's $400 for 10 years (yes, YEARS, boots & skis). Ski rental really isnt that expensive.

skiur

That is........ inaccurate.

I just Googled two popular local places, without an exhaustive search, literally just the first two I clicked on, and it's $30.44 and $35.96 per day. I presume all the other non-Vail places will be $30 - $40 or so as well.

Hell, I put my daughter in an "Entire Childhood" package this season. It's $400 for 10 years (yes, YEARS, boots & skis). Ski rental really isnt that expensive.

I think he was talking about renting at the mountain, not in town.

zyk

So in related Vail sucks news... Read the fine print on the multi pack tickets sold in the fall. Turns out they're only good at some places. Wife bought them for me as a gift (she's awesome). Tried to burn the last one at Hunter. No good and $105 for an empty Thursday with much of the mountain closed. I did not buy a ticket. If I'm lucky I can get back to Wildcat before the season ends. Such is life. I've had a great year just hate seeing a pass go to waste.