• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

VAIL SUCKS

icecoast1

I hate vail as much as the next guy. But hasn’t mt snow always been like that on holiday weekend. Wind is cranking in the mwv, inch or so of snow right now

It really started to get bad when they came out with the peak pass a few years back, have not been post pandemic to see what the epic effect is, but Mount Snow was always crazy on weekends and holidays as long as I can remember

abc

It really started to get bad when they came out with the peak pass a few years back, have not been post pandemic to see what the epic effect is, but Mount Snow was always crazy on weekends and holidays as long as I can remember
That probably describe my situation. I've only skied Mt Snow occasionally even though it's one of the closest "big mountain" for day tripping. Being a weekend warrior, my memory of Mt Snow had been insanely long lines. So much so I wrote it off entirely. I would pay $60-80 (that was pre-Vail) to ski a day. But I would not pay $50+ to just stand around in the cold. As a day ticket buyer, the lift line situation is one of the most important consideration factor in choosing where to ski.

I probably hadn't skied at Mt Snow for quite a few years. Until it became part of Epic pass, that is. I did go there a few times last season, in the middle of pandemic. It wasn't quite as bad as I remembered. But that may have to do with the reservation cap too.

Granted, as I wasn't paying any extra money to stand around, my tolerance for standing around was a bit higher. I suspect that mentality might also contribute to the extra long lines this season?

oldfartrider

Ya crowds at Mt Snow is nothing recent. I can remember going there is there in the early 80s and having huge lines. First big mountain in Vermont it’s not surprising.

drjeff

Just going to throw this out there. And I know this won't be popular and will get me flamed, however atleast at Mount Snow, *some* of the changes Vail has made (more blackouts on the Northeast local, paid parking deterring some from going to Mount Snow, running more lifts on almost a daily basis and for longer with the secondary lifts than in the past) have lead to shorter liftlines on average than in the past, and especially since the Peak Pass really started building the crowds 5 or so years ago.

That being said, it's still Mount Snow, and there are still plenty if lines, especially for the detachables out of the base areas. What used to be say a 20-25 minute line for the Bluebird during peak volume hours on a weekend is now more often a 15-20 minute line, and there is still the late morning crowd surge that starts at the main base, goes through the Northface, over through Sunbrook and eventually to Carinthia by early afternoon.

Vail has also implemented some options, that have made things easier, for a fee, for the regulars who ski/ride Mount Snow most weekends and/or have kids in the seasonal programs.

I get, this certainly isn't the norm at most of their Eastern properties, and there definitely are some issues that I have with how they are doing some things (such as snowreporting and communications in general often).

Let's hope that the storm of the last 24hrs gets a bunch of terrain opened up across all of New England now, and that we might get into a weather cycle like we did last year from mid January through late Feb with continued cold and regular snow events

ericfromMA/NH/VT

Can anyone tell me how to make sure my pass is not on auto-renew? I am 99% sure I set it that way but i cannot find any way to make sure when I'm in my epic acct. Its like that option doesn't exist.

Thanks!

jimmywilson69

I mean Mt Snow has always been a shit show, not surprised that its crowded on any weekend, yet a lone a holiday weekend that is one of the prime time holiday periods.

at Roundtop they've seemed to get enough staff to be 100% open, which is impressive considering they were closed 1/1-1/7 because of lack of snow. There are still way too many people showing up, but at least they appear to have enough staff now to run all of the lifts they need to. Closing Monday and Tuesday nights is a poor look and screams of a bean counter decision. that being said those nights were undoubtedly in the red historically. Killing off the night club program, which was primarily a school thing was also stupid and screams bean counter decision. NH and the mid-west are definitely getting the screws the worst. Maybe Stevens too...

Mainer

Shawnee was great today. Winds were cranking so they closed the conveyor triple, but had the east side open which goes to the same place. It was empty. Almost all the snowmaking trails are open. Friend skied attitash today, said it was really good too. But he was ducking ropes all day. Then it started raining and I left. This storm should really increase the trail counts at wildcat

kendo

PAabe

Geoff

Ya crowds at Mt Snow is nothing recent. I can remember going there is there in the early 80s and having huge lines. First big mountain in Vermont it’s not surprising.
I can vouch for the late 60s. I was mostly at Stratton from ~ 1968 to 1976 but the southern Vermont ski areas all had 30 to 45 minute lift lines on weekends. Fixed grip double chairs and little snowmaking.

mister moose

I can vouch for the late 60s. I was mostly at Stratton from ~ 1968 to 1976 but the southern Vermont ski areas all had 30 to 45 minute lift lines on weekends. Fixed grip double chairs and little snowmaking.
Seconded. I remember one high school trip to Sugarbush and we skied the gondola all day. The line was 45 minutes, you'd do well to get 7 runs.

Fast forward to today at Killington. In the morning only Snowshed, Northbrook, Superstar and Bear Chair were running. Supe was loading 2 skiers per chair. A foot of new snow. The lines were ... epic. Afternoon more got opened.

And the requisite "But I have all seasons" SUV was stuck in the parking lot.

MogulMonsters

Does anyone know why Attitash has whales that they haven't pushed out? At a minimum Inside out has been done for a week and nothing. It sure would be good to get some of the beginners dispersed off of Far Out.

They've also randomly opened lots of the greens to the Abenaki, which is great for the McMansion owners, but there is no Abenaki!

It doesn't make any sense. There is snow there. Lots of snow.

Attachments

• IMG-7905.jpg
    IMG-7905.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 43

xlr8r

Does anyone know why Attitash has whales that they haven't pushed out? At a minimum Inside out has been done for a week and nothing. It sure would be good to get some of the beginners dispersed off of Far Out.

They've also randomly opened lots of the greens to the Abenaki, which is great for the McMansion owners, but there is no Abenaki!

They don't have enough staff to groom out the whales

deadheadskier

Staff member
Getting a head start on next year actually. Going to put insulated and light reflective tarps over the whales to preserve them for the summer. Because they know next year the snowmaking staffing will be even worse.....

MogulMonsters

It looks like they got some new HKD snow making equipment too…AD5EDEFD-C927-4776-9386-ADC5BE6E24E0.jpeg

Attachments

• DC0422C5-14A8-4924-BD67-50A2EF83F559.jpeg
    DC0422C5-14A8-4924-BD67-50A2EF83F559.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 12

icecoast1

Staffing issues. 15 dollars an hour isn't very appealing to operate snowcats in this job market.... even less appealing to freeze all night making snow for 13 dollars an hour

gittist

Did Vail lower the wages when they took over or did they just not keep up with the market?