• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Video Camera for Skiing suggestions

TheBEast

So I've got my first child on the way and the wife wants a video camera. So good opportunity for me to find a video camera that I can also use for skiing. Suggestions? I don't know much about them or what kinds of features to look for. We don't need to worry about the ability to take digital still photos since my wife has a Canon 20D SLR camera that takes stellar photos, so this would be strictly video.

Thanks for the insights!

Greg

Staff member
You might want to read my post [post="222494"]here[/post]. This is strictly a skiing video camera for me, mind you. We have a Canon mini DVD for home movies of the kids.

TheBEast

Thanks Greg. From what I've read that camera looks like what I need. Does it have a slot underneath for attachment to a tripod?

Cheers - Ryan

Greg

Staff member
Thanks Greg. From what I've read that camera looks like what I need. Does it have a slot underneath for attachment to a tripod?

Cheers - Ryan

Yes. There is a screw hole on the bottom.

Just understand that that camera writes to an SD card. You will need to transfer the video to a computer to burn it to a DVD. Also, while the quality is pretty good, video from more conventional video cameras is of better quality. Still, it's a small and lightweight option so it's good for skiing or tossing into your pocket when traveling or going to an event or whatnot. You do sacrifice a bit of video quality for portability though.

TheBEast

So as my first camcorder, I'm thinking I could sacrifice the video quality, but with my first child on the way I at least want something to capture those moments so I'm thinking this would be a good start to meet both outdoor and indoor needs. Fair assessment?

SD Card is actually what I want. I'd rather do it that way.

Greg

Staff member
So as my first camcorder, I'm thinking I could sacrifice the video quality, but with my first child on the way I at least want something to capture those moments so I'm thinking this would be a good start to meet both outdoor and indoor needs. Fair assessment?

SD Card is actually what I want. I'd rather do it that way.

I think it's a fair assessment. If you find you want something more robust for the home vids you can always upgrade later and continue to use the Panny for skiing. Just remember to burn the child footage to DVD regularly so you have it "archived."

TheBEast

Thanks for all your help Greg. Picked up the camera and just order some SDHC memory. On my way to some fun with video!! I've got a Guys weekend up at Jay the 2nd weekend in March so that'll be my test run!

Thanks again.
Ryan

Greg

Staff member
Thanks for all your help Greg. Picked up the camera and just order some SDHC memory. On my way to some fun with video!! I've got a Guys weekend up at Jay the 2nd weekend in March so that'll be my test run!

Thanks again.
Ryan

Cool. Please post something from it when you get a chance.

SKIQUATTRO

we have a Casio Exlim with a 1gig card...we use it now for all our digi photos and movies with sound...we only break out the Sony ZR90 Camcorder if we go to a school play or somthing like that....the Exlim has been excellent