• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Video's and Pictures that just make you love or hate riding ski mountains with a few winter WTF's throw in :)

MidnightJester

Deep powder with a lot of fun and dodging thrown in.

Jerry dodging can be a lot harder then tree skiing in life and this video. Never heard the Jerry comment before but it makes Me along with Rick and Morty smile

Last edited:

MidnightJester

You need to look up "Jerry of the Day" then if you haven't heard "Jerry" before.

I call that human pilons

Thanks. A little new life stat acquired. Video is 80% winter sports.
The next skiing horror movie could be "Couples therapy Ski Chalet" when Jerry and Karen come by the mountain

Last edited:

jimk

On Friday, April 12, 2019 I caught a rope drop in Mineral Basin at Snowbird, UT. If you're not familiar with the term rope drop, it comes into play after a significant snow storm. Upon completion of avalanche mitigation work, Ski Patrol will "drop the rope" when they clear a section of ski terrain and are ready to reopen it. At a major resort such as Snowbird a rope drop can create a bit of a powder panic. On this particular April day a few hundred skiers/boarders were waiting near Snowbird's summit (elev 11,000') in anticipation of the rope drop for Mineral Basin so we could pillage the one foot of new, untouched snow laying all across Mineral Basin's 500 acres and 1500 vertical feet. I snapped a photo just as the rope dropped, it was a bigger cluster-f than this shot might imply. But the skiing was dang good!
snowbird mineral basin rope drop apr 12.jpg

I skied like heck for about 200 yards then hit a band of frozen avi debris hidden underneath the fresh snow. I took a big wipeout, as did about 30% of the rest of the powder pillagers all around me. But I jumped back up and kept charging. Near the bottom of Mineral Basin, I stopped and whipped out my camera to grab a few quick images of random strangers sharing an unforgettable run.

Guy in blue jacket
snowbird again apr 12.jpg

Snowbird lady
snowbird lady apr 12.jpg

Lucky geezer!
snowbird apr 12 blue geezer.jpg

Check this link for a video of a similar rope drop at Snowbird from 2022. I wasn't at this one, but it looks like an even crazier frenzy: https://www.theinertia.com/video/th...-when-ski-patrol-drops-the-rope-on-fresh-pow/

Last edited:

Smellytele

MidnightJester

Deserve a Vermont shout out to this little 2022-2023 Gem. Free Backyard mini rope-tow lift for Darkside snowboards free terrain park "Darkpark". The Rope tow is $7,000
3 people at a time on this smaller system.

Last edited: