• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Wachusett

Sky

TB hit the nail on the head....Wa is what it is.

It is an excellent place to get a ski-fix. It is an excellent place to learn to ski/rise. It is close to Boston....and fills a huge need as a feeder mountain by giving people an opportunity to improve skills on, some steep sections, some narrow sections, park features, etc. They work hard on snow conditions, which enhances the experience for the newer skiers/riders and enhances their appeal as an easy / fun place to ski and as a feeder mountain.

Yes it gets crowded, so do other easy-access resorts.

Yes, gapers are present. Where aren't they?

I appreciate Wa for what it is, for what it's offered for me and my family, for the friends I've made there...and my relationship with Wa mgt (and what I've seen them do for me and mine as well as others).

The school groups represent a double edged sword....they offer guaranteed business for the resort....the guarantee crowded slopes.

Anybody visiting there for the first time...or returning for an infrequent visit looking for a ski pal (not that you need a tour guide for the limited and simply layed out trail-count)...let me know and I'd be happy to keep you company.

Sky

jack97

I appreciate Wa for what it is, for what it's offered for me and my family, for the friends I've made there...and my relationship with Wa mgt (and what I've seen them do for me and mine as well as others).

Sky

I’ll second that.

In terms of the mountain and it’s location, it is what it is. Wa management has always tried to do the right thing in terms of business and treating their customers fairly.

FRITOLAYGUY

Ive never been there but hope to take a day trip sometime, im just curious for those of you who have skied it, can you see Boston on a clear day?

shwilly

You can definitely see Boston from the top of the mountain if you hike up, but I've never noticed it from the ski area. Maybe the lifts don't go quite to the top...?

On the topic of the Wa, the bar at the base has nice Wachusett Brewing taps. In the crucial good-taps category, Wa holds its own with anywhere in New England.

FRITOLAYGUY

THats cool, not that many of you have skied Campgaw in NJ but on a clear day its amazing to stand there on your skis at the top and see Manhattan in the distance..

Zand

Yeah, all you have to do is hike the 20 feet to the summit from the summit lift to be able to see Boston... but you can't see it from anywhere in the ski area. You can see Boston from many other points in Princeton as well. Worcester and many other surrounding cities are also visible.

Sky

Re Seeing Boston....Yes, you can. Mgt showed me an easy view...come down Conifer and (I think) it's either where Balance Rock or Roper's Road come back to Conifer...or it's where the Mass Pike Crosses (which makes sense since it's the access Rd to the summit and the view is cleared due to the road). Anyway, if you look off the the skiers' Right (especially @ night) you can definitely see the lights on the Hancock and Prudential bldgs.

Otherwise, yep...get off the summit quad and take the path up to the actual summit (frowned upon by mgt by the way) and you can see Beantown.

SnowRider

Greg you are not missing much. I hate WA WA but im forced to go cause it is the closest mountain and its just another day to snowboard. Conditions are normally bad and lift lines are VERY long.

SnowRider

Zand

Everyone just skip over Snowrider's post and continue with the program.

Phildozer

Greg you are not missing much. I hate WA WA but im forced to go cause it is the closest mountain and its just another day to snowboard. Conditions are normally bad and lift lines are VERY long.

SnowRider

Conditions are usually excellent. They absolutely bust their fannies to make the best of whatever Southern New England throws their way, weather-wise.

You'll find the lifts are much faster if you get off the beginner trails and try the two high-speed quads.

jack97

I won’t argue that the lines can be long at Wachusetts but I will offer this comparison. I’ve been to Bretton Woods, Loon and Wachusetts during feb vacation week. I had the shortest waits at Wachuestts.

Management does a great job in every aspect; grooming, lift operation and running the lodge, even at times when it seems like an overcrowded zoo.

SnowRider

I will not disagree that Wa Wa does great grooming and conditions are useally exceptional even for the big crowds. What im saying is i whent there 10 times the past season and 3 times were awsome conditions (snowdays) and i believe the rest were either exceptional or HORRIBLE. One time we left because the conditions were so bad. All im saying is that you hit Wa Wa with great conditions, or horrible.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
I will not disagree that Wa Wa does great grooming and conditions are useally exceptional even for the big crowds. What im saying is i whent there 10 times the past season and 3 times were awsome conditions (snowdays) and i believe the rest were either exceptional or HORRIBLE. One time we left because the conditions were so bad. All im saying is that you hit Wa Wa with great conditions, or horrible.

I've hit the full range of conditions there.

It sounds to me like you go only during peak hours. Never go when the school groups aret there, never go on a holiday, and never go on a weekend day.

I've skied powder, boiler plate, cord, packed powder, hero bumps... you name it I've skied it there. Of course, I do go there a lot... too convenient.

Phildozer

How would you know?

SnowRider

Simple.

You said the lifts are slow.

The two main mountain lifts are both detachable quads that hustle. Therefore, if you think the lifts are slow, you've only been on the Monadnock triple, which is indeed slower than Paris Hilton at a Mensa Convention.

thetrailboss

Staff member
How would you know?

SnowRider

All right folks, let's please keep the conversation on track here and refrain from getting too personal here.

I will say it again...Wachusett is what it is. My visit was great and it is better than nothing. In fact, they are quite a successful ski area in an area that is tough for more than one reason. On a more personal note, I will be at Wa-Wa soon....I am in the process of maybe planning a wedding there...