• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Want your own ski area?

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
You just have to relocate to Montana.

Price tag isn't bad at $279,000.

http://www.onthesnow.com/news/a/8826/montanas-teton-pass-wont-open-for-2009-10-season-without-buyer

http://townandcountrypropertynetwork.com/listing-teton-pass-ski-area--329.html

attachment.php

Last edited:

Mapnut

3,400 skier visits, the first article says. That's the smallest number I've ever heard!

bvibert

Staff member
Looks like a fun place. I wonder how much money would be needed above the purchase price to actually get the place open?

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Looks like a fun place. I wonder how much money would be needed above the purchase price to actually get the place open?
It was open last year. I would consider it to be easier to start up than somewhere like Powder Ridge right now. Problem is, apparently it gets hit hard by wind. Also land lease from Forest Service--problematic for upgrades.

Glenn

That seems really cheap. I mean, for that price, someone could buy it and have their own ski area.

bvibert

Staff member
Thats ALOT cheaper than Maple Valley !

Yup, and probably much closer to a turn-key operation. However, I believe with Maple Valley you're buying the land, versus the lease to use the forest land with Teton Pass.

campgottagopee

That seems really cheap. I mean, for that price, someone could buy it and have their own ski area.

That happened here in CNY years ago when Intermont was sold. A retired Navy man bought it, turned it into his primary residence and had all the skiing anyone could ever want. His kids would have friends over for skiing parties---what a hoot that must have been..

Glenn

I'm still on a Maple Valley kick. My only problem is the 1.2 or so million needed to buy the place. :lol:

I just worry that some land trust or preservation group will buy it. Trusts are nice...if your property boarders one. But if anything is purchased by one, you can bet it will never be a ski area again. I just read in the Brattleboro paper that Hogs Back will probably be completely purchased by a land trust. Nice for open space, bad for the chance of it ever being a ski area again.

bvibert

Staff member
I'm still on a Maple Valley kick. My only problem is the 1.2 or so million needed to buy the place. :lol:

I just worry that some land trust or preservation group will buy it. Trusts are nice...if your property boarders one. But if anything is purchased by one, you can bet it will never be a ski area again. I just read in the Brattleboro paper that Hogs Back will probably be completely purchased by a land trust. Nice for open space, bad for the chance of it ever being a ski area again.

I'd say there's a pretty low chance of any of the closed ski areas being open again, regardless of who owns them. Especially those that have been closed for more than a couple of years. It does happen where the reopen, but far more fade into oblivion. I'd much rather have a land trust buy and old ski area than a housing developer or something.

Glenn

I'd say there's a pretty low chance of any of the closed ski areas being open again, regardless of who owns them. Especially those that have been closed for more than a couple of years. It does happen where the reopen, but far more fade into oblivion. I'd much rather have a land trust buy and old ski area than a housing developer or something.

I agree. But the trust really really really shuts the door on that. Plus, Vermont isn't the easiest place to develop much of anything. You have to jump through about 45 different hoops before you can even break ground. The permitting and approval process up there is brutal.

snoseek

If I was wealthy-like don't go to work wealthy-I would but that in a second. I would operate it as my own private area open to the public for free by just signing a waiver and asking a donation for operating cost ect, maitenence, ect..... Or maybe operate the skiing for free and run a really good restaurant/pub at the base and sell food/drinks to help recover cost.

Glenn

If I was wealthy-like don't go to work wealthy-I would but that in a second. I would operate it as my own private area open to the public for free by just signing a waiver and asking a donation for operating cost ect, maitenence, ect..... Or maybe operate the skiing for free and run a really good restaurant/pub at the base and sell food/drinks to help recover cost.

That's a really solid idea. :cool:

Mapnut

It would have to be a really, really good restaurant/pub. Did you see how remote that place is?

ski_resort_observer

Website
www.firstlightphotographics.com
The place is prime griz country so winter is fine but it's the other 3 seasons you need to worry about getting your ass bit off. :lol:

I just read in the Brattleboro paper that Hogs Back will probably be completely purchased by a land trust. Nice for open space, bad for the chance of it ever being a ski area again.

Hogback closed cause their liability insurance exceeded total revenue. In the late 90's a developement was planned to reopen the place but the town wouldn't allow it cause they "didn't want to become like Mt Snow". The chance of it ever reopening died 10 years ago.

Last edited:

WoodCore

I agree about the developer thing but contrary to your first statement there are actually quite a few ski areas in the last few years that where lost and have now been reopened. Many come to mind in recent years including Ragged, Crotched, Magic, Tenney and Pinnacle. Regardless this year is the exception to the rule as there is a bumper crop of lost ski areas hoping to spin lifts again this year, some for the first time in a long while. I'm excited for the possibility of getting back for out for some turns at Big Tupper, Hickory, Moose Mountain and maybe even Bobcat. Good stuff for sure. :daffy:

bvibert

Staff member
I agree about the developer thing but contrary to your first statement there are actually quite a few ski areas in the last few years that where lost and have now been reopened. Many come to mind in recent years including Ragged, Crotched, Magic, Tenney and Pinnacle. Regardless this year is the exception to the rule as there is a bumper crop of lost ski areas hoping to spin lifts again this year, some for the first time in a long while. I'm excited for the possibility of getting back for out for some turns at Big Tupper, Hickory, Moose Mountain and maybe even Bobcat. Good stuff for sure. :daffy:

Yeah, I thought of that, but it still seems like there's way more lost areas that haven't reopened than have. Unfortunately I still think the odds are pretty low. I'd love to be wrong on this one though.