• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Webster Cliff / Crawford Path w/ the dogs 10.11.08

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
Nice pics! Is there a story to go along with it? Route description or trail conditions?

I added the "camera" icon to the heading; that's standard practice here for threads that include images.

reevstar

Date(s) Hiked: 10.11.08

Trails(s) Hiked: up and across webster cliff, down crawford path

Total Distance: 10

Difficulty: good for kids and dogs....dogs will have to climb but nothing to extreme

Conditions: perfect

Special Required Equipment: a smile

Trip Report::

Well….I would have to say it was one of the best weekends we have had this summer/fall. (weather wise)

Started on Webster cliff just south of Willey house on 302. Hit Webster, Jackson, Mizpah Hut, Pierce than back to 302 via Crawford path.

Great hike for dogs….there was a couple steep hand over hand sections but a little boost from behind and they were fine. (my wife coined it “team building” exercises) In hind site I would have had a harness for the shepherd, he is only 5 months and his legs are a bit short for some of the jumps. The coonhound hit every obstacle, big lungs and long legs are a perfect match. Pads were fine, though we do a couple miles a day in the city which im sure conditions the pads fairly well. We did apply some “mushers secret” for extra protection in the am.

The ridge between web, Jackson, pierce was great……not a ridge of views but the little boggy tangents were so enjoyable, prefer that with a dog, cliffs can get hairy. The view from the north side of pierce was epic (first pic). The sun was beginning to set and the entire range had a dim yellow glow. I would say that viewing the southern spine of Mt Washington in the distance has to be one of the best things I have ever witnessed in the whites. The urge to just keep trekking up the Crawford path was hard to put away.

Down we went on the Crawford path to 302. A nice pleasant decline that was easy on the knees and great for some tired dogs….this direction also allow you to hike down in the last little bit of sun.

Take care.

Chris, Jen, Ginny & Bear

Last edited: