• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What do you think of the 'New' EMS?

What do you think of the recent upgrades/changes to Eastern Mountain Sports (EMS)?

• The 'Catazine' and renovated stores are too much...too busy for me.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wasn't sure at first, but now find their brand items and stores more appealing.

• Same excellent gear, great warranty, and service...what's changed?

• I'm an LL Bean person.

• Didn't notice any changes.

• What's EMS?

• Total voters

thetrailboss

Staff member
I'm not sure if many of you have noticed, but over the past year or so they've really stepped up their stores offering new products and better quality stuff. I've noticed that they've dropped some lines including much of the Patagonia and North Face products and substituted items with their own logo...much like LL Bean.

Their stores are also much cleaner and more sportier looking...wasn't sure how I liked it at first, but now I find it appealing.

And the 'Catazine' has been great as well...they're definately trying to boast the image.

I've found that lately I've been looking more at their store brand items, which are reasonably priced, constructed, and offer great features. Before they were good, and I'd often ignore them but now I consider them more seriously.

Your thoughts? OK, enough about EMS...I'm going to shut up (sigh).

bvibert

Staff member
You're really trying to get me in trouble with all this EMS talk, aren't you. ;) In case you didn't notice I was dressed almost entirely in EMS gear last season, I have a habit of going in there "just to look" and walking out with a bunch of stuff. They expanded the store near me at the same time they started the transformation so its hard for me to say about "new look" since the store is all different anyway. I've definately noticed them gradually getting rid of other brand name stuff.

Overall I like the changes. :)

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
It's tough for me to say, because I live by a small EMS and invariably they don't have what I need when I need something specific (for example, they dropped the Platypus line). However ... for other things, I'm very pleased that they've turned back from the "outdoor clothier" and gone technical again. The EMS by me has over a dozen kayaks hanging from the ceiling right now, for example.

It does bug me that it can hard to find a store to touch the good name-brand stuff (Dana, Osprey, Mountain Hardwear), though at least I can still get such items from Campmor.

pizza

Website
www.tursi.com
You missed an option - "who cares?" :)

Seriously, EMS' private label line of stuff isn't bad.. But remember - the key is selection. Gotta carry TNF and Mountain Hardwear, not to mention Marmot, Kelty, Lowe Alpine, Mountainsmith, Sierra Designs, Eureka, etc. (I don't know which of these brands they carry, I'm just saying). The reasoning behind a good selection is it really lets you compare stuff side-by-side while making decisions.

Campmor, for example, has a very limited range of private-label gear (basically a couple of sleeping bags, plus clothing), which is indeed sold at a lower price, but when you're in the store you can compare it to all the brands listed above.

So if I were to take a sleek clean store like EMS and compare it to a slighly messy store like Campmor, I'd take Campmor because I know more stuff is there, and EMS has removed stuff to make it look cleaner.

As a business decision, however, EMS is probably better off because most people don't have the perspective that I do.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
never have been an EMS fan. i have a few items from there, mostly via gift cards. always can not find the quality or item i want in their stores and find their prices generally too high for what they are offering. though i haven't seen them since they apparently changed some stuff around.

the thing that always struck me funny about EMS was the amount of cotton tshirts they had on display. seriously? what person that is serious about their outdoors is buying cotton tshirts? the fact that their stores always seem to be in malls gave me the impression they were an outdoors store for mall shoppers and people with lots of money to blow on average stuff :) seems like that may have changed. i haven't been in an EMS in about 3 years.

when i was on the north shore, REI in reading got a lot of my money. i was really attracted by the coop factor, but REI is more about SELL SELL SELL than any other outdoor retailer i know of, it's crazy. no sales pitch or high pressure sales people or anything still, but as someone in retail, i tend to pick up on things at stores and i get the feeling REI is trying to get people to buy junk they really don't need. despite my thoughts on how they run their operation, i always find what i want in REI stores and their prices are usually reasonable and sale prices are even better. the dividend is real nice, but unless you buy big ticket, it doesn't amount to much.

pizza

Website
www.tursi.com
Cotton is a low-cost, readily available material that is actually ok for warm-temperature hiking. It has a worse reputation than it deserves. When it's not too hot, it's highly breathable and cool. In extreme heat, your sweat will screw it up, but for most spring and fall hiking situations cotton is just fine.

When I go on a 3-4 hour dayhike I'll throw on a cotton shirt.

awf170

riverc0il said:
the dividend is real nice, but unless you buy big ticket, it doesn't amount to much.

What are you talking about the dividend is sweet :wink: , my family got $3, i think im going to go buy a power bar... what is the percent anyway on it

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
awf170 said:
riverc0il said:
the dividend is real nice, but unless you buy big ticket, it doesn't amount to much.

What are you talking about the dividend is sweet :wink: , my family got $3, i think im going to go buy a power bar... what is the percent anyway on it
:lol: :lol: :lol:
i think i got about $3 too, heh. though the year i joined up i got about $50 cause i bought a lot of gear. percent depends on how the coop did that year i think?

i agree pizza, cotton does get a bad rap and is okay for fair weather hikes so long as it is not too warm and you're not sweating much. i rarely hike when i am not sweating though, and i really prefer synthetic regardless of the weather when doing outdoors sports.

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
The key to the REI dividend is to have the REI credit card. All purchases anywhere with the card earn dividend. Plus, as you know if you use a different card *at REI* your dividend on that purchase is reduced.

I funnel all my repeating payments (gym, storage unit, etc) through the REI card and get a sweet dividend every year.

That said, I'm still about 40:40:20 on my purchases ... REI : EMS : other

pizza

Website
www.tursi.com
riverc0il said:
i agree pizza, cotton does get a bad rap and is okay for fair weather hikes so long as it is not too warm and you're not sweating much. i rarely hike when i am not sweating though, and i really prefer synthetic regardless of the weather when doing outdoors sports.

I like my synthetic stuff, too - but remember - probably 70% of EMS' clientele goes camping once a year or hiking less than 3 times a year. They're more interested in comfort, and in the store, nothing beats cotton for that.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Yeah, REI is just OK. We went there and saw some good deals, but really would not have gone if it weren't for the $50 gift certificate from Ms. Trailboss' friend. I've liked EMS because of their service and guarantee...but a few years ago I became dismayed when they began dropping high end products. Now I like the EMS brand stuff when it goes on sale :wink:

bvibert

Staff member
I would probably like REI too, but there aren't any near here. EMS is really the only store with decent stuff at decent prices around here.

bvibert

Staff member
thetrailboss said:
Hey guys, thanks for drumming up some good conversation over here in Gear! :beer:

You're welcome, do that mean that we get some free gear in return? :idea: :beer:

kickstand

MichaelJ said:
The key to the REI dividend is to have the REI credit card. All purchases anywhere with the card earn dividend. Plus, as you know if you use a different card *at REI* your dividend on that purchase is reduced.

I funnel all my repeating payments (gym, storage unit, etc) through the REI card and get a sweet dividend every year.

That said, I'm still about 40:40:20 on my purchases ... REI : EMS : other

DING DING DING, we have a winner! The REI Visa is key to a big dividend. I'm sitting on a $160 dividend and I haven't bought anything big at REI in a while. Last year was great. The Alaska trip was thrown on the REI Visa. My dividend was something like $300. We hardly do any shopping at REI until the divident comes in.

smitty77

Website
hotmix77.tripod.com
MichaelJ said:
However ... for other things, I'm very pleased that they've turned back from the "outdoor clothier" and gone technical again. The EMS by me has over a dozen kayaks hanging from the ceiling right now, for example.
I'm glad to see this too. For a while, they were starting to look like a Lands End outlet store.

I buy some of my stuff from them at their flagship store in Peterborough because it's the closest one to the house. If you happen to hit it right, you can get some good deals. A few months ago they had their "Sample clothing clearance". I picked up a pair of mis-labeled "Sample" pants for $10, and the wife got two pairs of trail shorts for $5. Hard to beat. Saw some "split sized" boots (9.5 left, 10 right) for $10, originally $75. I knew I had one foot slightly larger than the other so I tried them on. Turns out it was my left foot that was bigger. :-?
Smitty

Rushski

It's a toss-up. Gear is still excellent (what they actually still have-see below), store layout is a different matter. This was at Nashua's new location. Literally couldn't tell where the mens Vs. womens clothing racks were. Sales guy said he thought the same and had many complaints.

And, also one of the guys said that EMS brand mocs never existed, even though my wife has two pair. They don't even carry Merrell mocs anymore either...

bvibert

Staff member
Rushski said:
Literally couldn't tell where the mens Vs. womens clothing racks were.

You know what, now that you mentioned that I've noticed the same thing. I thought it was just me. Its kinda annoying...

thetrailboss

Staff member
bvibert said:
Rushski said:
Literally couldn't tell where the mens Vs. womens clothing racks were.

You know what, now that you mentioned that I've noticed the same thing. I thought it was just me. Its kinda annoying...

Yeah, I concur.