• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What the heck is going on at Magic?

dlague

Very sweet! ...I think it was probably broomstick then if magician was closed

Broomstick was open but pretty flat but it was a nice entrance to Heart and Black Line which both skied nice. Some of the most fun runs were to be had there.

MadMadWorld

The snow reporting is a shit show but it didn't really matter yesterday. So much amazing skiing off trail. The woods off skiers right and left of Tali were filthy good. East side had plenty of untracked. Groomers skied really well. A lot of the other stuff was a windblown mess on the upper mountain. Heart of Magician was magical. Stay in the trees kids!

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Broomstick was open but pretty flat but it was a nice entrance to Heart and Black Line which both skied nice. Some of the most fun runs were to be had there.
You called that flat? I suppose you can call a halfpipe flat too! :) Upper Black line was too much work for me. The only one I avoided. Hey, where was everyone at 2pm? It's like they cleared out the slopes. I haven't felt so beat as I was yesterday. I could go truly anywhere on the hill I wanted to without regret.

dlague

You called that flat? I suppose you can call a halfpipe flat too! :) Upper Black line was too much work for me. The only one I avoided. Hey, where was everyone at 2pm? It's like they cleared out the slopes. I haven't felt so beat as I was yesterday. I could go truly anywhere on the hill I wanted to without regret.

Whenever I skied that in the past, Broomstick was bumped out. Right now you could just about straight ski it. Yes it has a concave shape to it but - no where near a half pipe. My wife son and I were cruising that trail! Black Line, at the end of Broomstick, had nice powder bumps on Saturday.

Smellytele

OK Magic redeemed it self later in the after noon when around 2:30 lines got shorter. 15 minutes or less. But what was cool is the fact that Tom Barker was out there meeting people in line and telling them what the issue is with the Black Lift. Apparently, it failed inspection due to the bearings on the chair that let it swing. They got to the point where they were not swinging properly and the state considered it a safety hazard. He said he is hoping to get the parts that are needed soon - have to be replaced on every chair.

In any case the last 1.5 hours were super fun.

black chair

xwhaler

Once Feb vacation week comes and goes is there a real motivation to rush to get the Black running? Obviously for backup purposes would be nice but can't imagine from a demand standpoint it would be needed after this wknd.

They must have it ready to run for next Xmas week and all other holidays/busy wknds. When lines are long they lose potential repeat business because they do market themselves as never having any lines.

rocks860

I only made one trip over to the east side on Sunday, there was so much snow on the other side it didn't seem worth it to be stuck in that wind. I spent a lot of time just cruising the green and Blues with powder to be found everywhere

dlague

Once Feb vacation week comes and goes is there a real motivation to rush to get the Black running? Obviously for backup purposes would be nice but can't imagine from a demand standpoint it would be needed after this wknd.

They must have it ready to run for next Xmas week and all other holidays/busy wknds. When lines are long they lose potential repeat business because they do market themselves as never having any lines.

They will not get it running this year! Will fix this summer!

dlague

OK Magic redeemed it self later in the after noon when around 2:30 lines got shorter. 15 minutes or less. But what was cool is the fact that Tom Barker was out there meeting people in line and telling them what the issue is with the Black Lift. Apparently, it failed inspection due to the bearings on the chair that let it swing. They got to the point where they were not swinging properly and the state considered it a safety hazard. He said he is hoping to get the parts that are needed soon - have to be replaced on every chair.

In any case the last 1.5 hours were super fun.

black chair

Yup

djdj

This sucks i can't ski for a while cuz i missed up me back last week

yeggous

I'm thinking about hitting up Magic for a day on the weekend of 3/14-15 or 3/21-22. Is there a reason to prefer one of those weekends over the other? I'll also be hitting up another mountain in the area. What's the recommendation? I am thinking Bromley since I have never been there. I'm also looking for a place to stay in the area. Are there any ski clubs in the area that take guests?

rocks860

This may not be what you're looking for but we stayed last weekend at this place called a stonewall inn. Very unique place, whole place is heated by solar and wood stoves and super crazy architecture.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I'm thinking about hitting up Magic for a day on the weekend of 3/14-15 or 3/21-22. Is there a reason to prefer one of those weekends over the other? I'll also be hitting up another mountain in the area. What's the recommendation? I am thinking Bromley since I have never been there. I'm also looking for a place to stay in the area. Are there any ski clubs in the area that take guests?
Manchester Ski Club has a house in Ludlow. They are looking for members, so they are open to having non members check them out. You'd need a sponsor, so just write to them. Regarding March at Magic, in my experience it won't make much of a difference, especially this year when there is so much base.

http://www.manchesterskiclub.org/

Powda

Living Social has a deal for $199 on weekends at Upper Pass Lodge. Right at Magic.
Includes breakfast, 2 glasses of wine, cheese platter and bagged lunches.
Hell of a deal IMO

rocks860

Manchester Ski Club has a house in Ludlow. They are looking for members, so they are open to having non members check them out. You'd need a sponsor, so just write to them. Regarding March at Magic, in my experience it won't make much of a difference, especially this year when there is so much base.

http://www.manchesterskiclub.org/

Huh, I didn't know about this. I'll have to check this out!

yeggous

Living Social has a deal for $199 on weekends at Upper Pass Lodge. Right at Magic.
Includes breakfast, 2 glasses of wine, cheese platter and bagged lunches.
Hell of a deal IMO

That's the deal! I clicked through and got it for $170. Thank you for the tip!