• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What the heck is going on at Magic?

deadheadskier

Staff member
I would think a lift in the old learning area (hocus pocus?) would be more beneficial than a green line chair. That was a really good unintimidating learning area back in the day. Both would be ideal

skithetrees

In my opinion, priority number one is replacing black with, most likely, a fixed grip used quad. Simultaneously they will need some new grooming equipment, pumps and pond permits. Second year plan would be a green lift in the old beginner area. Like it or not, red will eventually need to go too if the mountain ever truly becomes successful. I would also put up a lift from the bottom of talisman to the peak above slide of Hans/broomstick. Experts bombing through the main base area isn't the best and would save wear and tear on the intermediate/beginner trails down there. But that is a pretty pipe dream for now.

Magic

In my opinion, priority number one is replacing black with, most likely, a fixed grip used quad. Simultaneously they will need some new grooming equipment, pumps and pond permits. Second year plan would be a green lift in the old beginner area. Like it or not, red will eventually need to go too if the mountain ever truly becomes successful. I would also put up a lift from the bottom of talisman to the peak above slide of Hans/broomstick. Experts bombing through the main base area isn't the best and would save wear and tear on the intermediate/beginner trails down there. But that is a pretty pipe dream for now.

New lifts? No way - cost too much. Maybe a magic carpet if we're lucky. I believe new ownership when the closing really occurs....

skithetrees

Hey, not saying that is going to happen now. But if the mountain wants to thrive longterm, that is what it is going to take. Earlier posts made it sound like the mountain was being sold. This seems like another rearranging of the deck chairs. Although, I am not terribly surprised by this.

Magic

It's hard to believe anyone would invest millions into the mountain but hey I hope someone with money to burn is out there :)

yeggous

It's hard to believe anyone would invest millions into the mountain but hey I hope someone with money to burn is out there :)

I'd believe it if it was part of a larger corporate strategy to consolidate in the area. A single operator owning two mountains in southern Vermont could fundamentally alter the local market. This is what Peak Resorts did when they bought both Wildcat and Attitash. They were so successful selling season passes that they forced the independent mountains in New Hampshire to create the White Mountain Super Pass.

skithetrees

In a package deal with timber side there would be a ton of buildable land. Seems more attractive to me than Burke - much closer to people that make the weekend trip. Not sure of the mueller's situation, but ever since they bought tater hill it seemed like a good new project for them. Not sure if they still live in the area or not though.

Magic

I'd believe it if it was part of a larger corporate strategy to consolidate in the area. A single operator owning two mountains in southern Vermont could fundamentally alter the local market. This is what Peak Resorts did when they bought both Wildcat and Attitash. They were so successful selling season passes that they forced the independent mountains in New Hampshire to create the White Mountain Super Pass.

Hope it will happen. Any stability to this mountain would be great.

thetrailboss

Staff member
When I talked to the owner this winter he was all about building multiple slope side hotels.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

Re: Powder Mountain, Utah

Oh it is much worse than that and more pretentious/ridiculous.

slatham

Interesting indeed. I have heard there was an interest in bringing in other investors, but I am not sure if this is a "sale" or just more investors joining to make a go of it. As we all know, more capital is needed for maintenance and improvements.

With regard to prioritization, my interpretation from discussions was 1) a reliable lift - the recent over hall of Red would appear to accomplish this as I understand there were limited issues last year (I experienced none); 2) more snowmaking; 3) Black in working order. 4) a 2nd modern groomer.

Anything beyond that was out of scope without more money from somewhere.

In my personal opinion, I think Magic can make a serious go of it with Red and Black in working order and enough snowmaking power (and budget) to get the following up and running:

U/L Carpet
Medium
Trick
Wand
Show Off
Hocus Pocus
U/L Wizard
Tali

Ideally they'd be able to put some snow down on Sorcerer and Vertigo (or Witch-Blackline, but lets not get greedy) too at some point given reasonable cold. But I think the above list offers enough terrain and terrain diversity - with a decent amount of it groomed - to lure more people away from nearby crowded slopes over holiday periods and Saturdays.

But (assuming working lifts) snow is the key. Only thereafter can "improvements" like Green lift, Beginner lift/carpet or a new groomer be contemplated, much less a replacement for Black.

Lets hope it comes together.

Last edited:

Smellytele

With regard to prioritization, my interpretation from discussions was 1) a reliable lift - the recent over hall of Red would appear to accomplish this as I understand there were limited issues last year (I experienced none); 2) more snowmaking; 3) Black in working order. 4) a 2nd modern groomer.

I was there this year when the Red went down for about 2 hours - without another option it sucked!!

skithetrees

I heard from two reliable sources very different stories re black. First was that it would never be able to run to the state's satisfaction (routinely pessimistic source). Second was that a plan was in place and that the repairs would happen this summer (more reliable, but optimistic source). Take it for what you will. I think they should reevaluate how they blow snow to open up. I would blow trick and magic carpet to black line and then witch to black line and run black (provided it works). To me, that maximizes terrain variety and minimizes the length of snow blown. Blowing the west side is stupid given all the run over there and back, at least for where the mountain is now.

Tin

"To date there is no cross mountain partnerships but if any develop they will be offered to pass holders. "

MadMadWorld

They would be stupid to prioritize Witch to Black Line over Sorcerer would be dumb. Witch gets wind scoured worse than any other trail it seems and Black would require a ton of snow because of its width and need to cover up some of the problem areas (like the last ledge)

slatham

Smellytele, hear your pain. But if ("IF")that was the worst of it then I'd say Red ran "reliably". But that doesn't mean a 2nd chair isn't needed - it is.

Regarding Black, there was a lot of back and forth b/w Magic and VT lift inspectors about what was needed etc. I thought they had a known set of fixes that needed to be made but by the time they agreed on them it was too late for the ski season. What has happened since then, or is planned, I do not know.

Skithetrees, from what I understand, even with Black running, Red is the lift of choice - its the work horse. There is also the need for Show Off for racing. So Trick to Show Off makes sense as the starting and core run.

Re: the West Side, having good coverage on Tali is very important to the core, loyal locals. Also, as we saw last winter, Tali is a huge benefit for racing. I heard from several sources (including competing race teams) that it is the best race trail in So VT and the only one that gets the local teams prepared for races up north. And Magic makes gets vital cashflow from racing.

slatham

MadMadWorld, agree with your Witch/Black line comment. One thing though is that it might make sense to make snow on top section of Witch because it gets windblown to assure access to Gonif, Red and lower Witch/Blackline. If I recall these were closed several times this past winter due to coverage issues on upper Witch.

skithetrees

Smellytele, hear your pain. But if ("IF")that was the worst of it then I'd say Red ran "reliably". But that doesn't mean a 2nd chair isn't needed - it is.

Regarding Black, there was a lot of back and forth b/w Magic and VT lift inspectors about what was needed etc. I thought they had a known set of fixes that needed to be made but by the time they agreed on them it was too late for the ski season. What has happened since then, or is planned, I do not know.

Skithetrees, from what I understand, even with Black running, Red is the lift of choice - its the work horse. There is also the need for Show Off for racing. So Trick to Show Off makes sense as the starting and core run.

Re: the West Side, having good coverage on Tali is very important to the core, loyal locals. Also, as we saw last winter, Tali is a huge benefit for racing. I heard from several sources (including competing race teams) that it is the best race trail in So VT and the only one that gets the local teams prepared for races up north. And Magic makes gets vital cashflow from racing.

Red has always been the lift of choice. But I would argue that , early season, black should be providing it runs well. Yes witch gets wind scoured, but manmade holds much better. Reasons for my plan: 1) they already blow early season snow on the bottom of black line, just after they have done show off, 2) really not much snow than for the lower portion than they already do on show off, 3) blowing the upper portion of witch/blacline is about 1/3 the snow of blowing any route on the west side, 4) half the snow they ow on the west side ends up in the trees anyway, 5) they don't need to open the whole width, see previous comments re show off and owing snow, 6) this would give you a great beginner and expery run - better than most anywhere else early season, 7) the psychological advantage of a riding a lift over snow.

I would never say don't blow snow on talisman, but with the long low elevation runout, early season it doesn't make sense to complete the route.

skithetrees

Also, don't forget they sometimes race on blackline. As far as the black lift, part of the issue is that it is a rolling set of fixes from what I understand. I.e., there is a multi year list of new things that must be completed each year to convince the state that maintenance is adequate. For example, I think a certain number of sheave train bearings need to be replaced every year. If you get behind one year, it is that much harder the next